Apple to impose 802.11n upgrade fee on Intel Mac owners

Comments

• Reply 61 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

It will be cracked soon after release: everyone will just grab it from the underground, The potential revenue to apple from this is puny, so all Apple is doing with this is getting a shit ton of negative PR on Digg and Slashdot...

Take it up with your elected officials. Don't take it out on sweet, delicious AAPL.
  • Reply 62 of 205
    I could be wrong, but to trot out Sarbox as a shield seems prima facie ridiculous. I am going to check out the legitimacy of this with some accounting experts. Will keep you posted.

It looks to me like another silly lawsuit in the offing.....
  • Reply 63 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darkestbeforedawn View Post

Or they could just backdate the feature

• Reply 64 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I could be wrong, but to trot out Sarbox as a shield seems prima facie ridiculous. I am going to check out the legitimacy of this with some accounting experts. Will keep you posted.

It looks to me like another silly lawsuit in the offing.....

Seriously, this is very legitimate. We are not only talking about following SOX, we are also talking about following GAAP, otherwise known as Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. As an accountant, it might take me a while to try to explain why Apple has to treat this situation the way they do.

Koose
  • Reply 65 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Koose1 View Post

Seriously, this is very legitimate.... As an accountant, it might take me a while to try to explain why ....

Koose

Can you try? Thanks. (I am skeptical).
  • Reply 66 of 205
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Koose1 View Post

Seriously, this is very legitimate. We are not only talking about following SOX, we are also talking about following GAAP, otherwise known as Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. As an accountant, it might take me a while to try to explain why Apple has to treat this situation the way they do.

Koose

Please try, really. ...Also explain why they would charge $4.99 as opposed to $9.99 or $1.99 etc.
  • Reply 67 of 205
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Who CARES. Just DOWNLOAD it off gnutella or bittorrent or wherever. Get on with the show. Apple's gone corporate whoopdeedoo. That was news two decades ago.
  • Reply 68 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Who CARES. Just DOWNLOAD it off gnutella or bittorrent or wherever. Get on with the show. Apple's gone corporate whoopdeedoo. That was news two decades ago.

Awww yeah, nothing like a bit of firmware hacking to start of the day... ...ala "screen spanning hack"... Though that was not firmware... I'm just rambling here...
  • Reply 69 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 128pluspb100siduo230 View Post

If you sell something and don't deliver it you can not book the revenue. It becomes a liability you must carry on your books until you complete the sale by delivering the total product. etc etc

Sorry, this is sounding more and more lame. And confusing.

So according to you, either: (1) Apple charged me already for a product they did not deliver, and now they are charging me again because they forgot to book a contingent liability? (Hey Apple, can you please give me my $5 back if I do NOT plan to activate "n" -- I'll equally happily settle for five iTunes downloads); or (2) They did not charge me when I bought my computer originally, and now they must charge me because some accountant is telling them they did not book a contingent liability (which they could presumably book only if they included it in the price in the first place)? And, you are telling me that Apple needs to show their auditors the pricing structure in such detail that the auditor can tell the $2600+ I paid for my 17" MBP a few months did or did not include $5 for a feature that I may or may not turn on?

C'mon, either it is the case that auditors are out of control (and everyone will go private one of these days unless this sort of Sarbox nonsense is repealed forthwith), or your argument can't be right.
  • Reply 70 of 205
    This is a precursor of things to come.

You buy a product (a computer, a car, a house...) complete with all the features possibly required, but disabled. Then as desired, you pay to have them 'unlocked'. A bit like your satellite/cable TV package.

It's a term that I call (and maybe others) the 'extrinsic' value of a product.

I think that this is Apple's way of getting us used to the concept.
  • Reply 71 of 205
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This is odd.

I'd like to speak to whomever decided that this should be done.

As S-O is so new, I can't say if it does require a fee or not. But, it's also possible that if the reason given is the real one, that they could simply be mistaken.

It's too blatent a statement for Apple to make, for it to simply be an excuse.
  • Reply 72 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deep View Post

Apple wants $5 for this? Fine by me!!! Apple, you keep making awsome products that make my life easier, more productive, and better! Hell, if I could give you a 15% tip for not making me endure the nightmare that is windoze, I would.

ok
  • Reply 73 of 205
    It always confused me when companies sold products with draft protocols. That would be like Apple selling computers with an OS X 10.5 release candidate installed. I guess companies always want to be the first one to market with new technology and to do that they have to jump the gun a bit.

As far as paying $5 for the update thats kinda lame, however I don't know anything about the Act/Law so maybe its justifiable. I probably won't buy the update since I don't have a 'n' router, nor do any places I go have one. Once 'n' routers are more prevalent I'll consider the update since its only slightly more than a cup of coffee at Starbucks
  • Reply 74 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neyoung View Post

It always confused me when companies sold products with draft protocols. That would be like Apple selling computers with an OS X 10.5 release candidate installed. I guess companies always want to be the first one to market with new technology and to do that they have to jump the gun a bit.

As far as paying $5 for the update thats kinda lame, however I don't know anything about the Act/Law so maybe its justifiable. I probably won't buy the update since I don't have a 'n' router, nor do any places I go have one. Once 'n' routers are more prevalent I'll consider the update since its only slightly more than a cup of coffee at Starbucks

This has been done as far back as I can remember in the communications field.

When 56K was being drafted, a number of companies released modems with it. The models with upgradable firmware proved to be just fine. Those that didn't seemed to work well enough.
  • Reply 75 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

...When 56K was being drafted...

Ah, old skool... The 56k debacle. Bloody thing was, no matter which of the two standards, you'd never get 56k speeds on the ol' modem line. Like 44.5k or 48k or something was the maximum one would get.
  • Reply 76 of 205
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SirROM View Post

but be clear about this, you paid for "g" functionality and that's exactly what you got.

NO WE ***KIN' DID NOT!

We paid for G functionality and got B functionality. The Broadcom chipset in the Mac Pro and the C2D have broken drivers & firmware. They offer 5 megabit speeds at best.

We are owed a bugfix and we should not be charged for it - however small the fee.

C.
  • Reply 77 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Ah, old skool... The 56k debacle. Bloody thing was, no matter which of the two standards, you'd never get 56k speeds on the ol' modem line. Like 44.5k or 48k or something was the maximum one would get.

In theory, you could get 56k through the modem.

But, as you likely know, though others might not, the phone companies limit the power going through the lines. As modems use power on the switching of bits, the faster the bits are switched, the more power is used. Here in the US, and possibly Canada, the power limit limits the modems to 52k.

So, really, they should be called 52k modems, as that's the fastest they can ever go.
  • Reply 78 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spyky View Post

Apple is based in the US and is subject to US accounting laws. I may be wrong, but I think it's sort of irrelevant where they sell the product, they still have to obey US accounting laws.

I think that is incorrect. I live in Australia, and I have never had any actual dealings with Apple Inc. (or Apple Computer, Inc., for that matter). Apple Inc. does not operate in Australia, whether for sales or otherwise.

I have purchased all of my Apple hardware and software from Apple Computer (Australia) Pty. Ltd., a privately held company registered in Australia*, subject to Australian laws, including Australian business and taxation laws (specifically those applicable in the state of New South Wales, though most of the applicable laws are federal, not state based). This company is a completely separate entity that just happens to pass its profits/losses on to its parent.

Cheers,

js.

* Apple Computer (Australia) P/L is not traded on any stock market; it's wholly owned by Apple, Inc., just as Microsoft Australia P/L is wholly owned by Microsoft Corp.
  • Reply 79 of 205
    mkanemkane Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

NO WE ***KIN' DID NOT!

We paid for G functionality and got B functionality. The Broadcom chipset in the Mac Pro and the C2D have broken drivers & firmware. They offer 5 megabit speeds at best.

We are owed a bugfix and we should not be charged for it - however small the fee.

C.

Seems Apple is copying M$ on this one. The upgrade should be free of charge.

Very crappy move Apple!
  • Reply 80 of 205
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lou View Post

Well i ordered my macbook on saturday, after the 802.11n confirmation, so i ordere it knowing it has n, also i'm in the Uk, so this act is irrevelant. Any guesses on if this will still count?

Perhaps you'll get to use a Software Update Coupon!