Apple, Cingular each claim victory, say more iPhones in queue

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 78
    Melgross, you've never teabagged someone?
  • Reply 62 of 78
    For some reason I thought voicemail would be stored on the iPhone and not at the carrier.
  • Reply 63 of 78
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Regarding the G numbers, here's how I learned it:

1G: analogue phones.

2G: digital phones, circuit switched data connections.

2.5G: packet switched data; GPRS and EDGE.

3G: packet switched data at a fast enough speed to hold a video call.

There's no 2.75G... the connection is either fast enough for video calling/streaming, or it isn't. There's no grey area.

Regarding MMS: it does not appear that Apple supports it at all. Which is a damn shame -- I send photos via MMS a lot more than I send them via email!

Amorya
  • Reply 64 of 78
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    EDGE is 2.75G. GPRS is 2.5G.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2.75G
  • Reply 65 of 78
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Sorry, double post. AI is being particularly pissy today.
  • Reply 66 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

EDGE is 2.75G. GPRS is 2.5G.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2.75G

Nope. EDGE is theoretically 2.75G (if by that we mean 'near broadband' speed), but real-world performance is 2.5G, aka not much faster than dial-up.

Wikipedia is great, but some things posted there are as much opinion as fact. \

They got this part right though:

"The term 2.75G has not been officially defined anywhere, but as of 2004 is beginning to be used quite often in media reports."

Sounds like someone's bright marketing idea, repeated by reporters eh? 8)

• Reply 67 of 78
    I can't believe you guys wasted like 10 posts arguing about whether EDGE is 2.5g or 2.75g. ...I was just quoting Wiki as a brief reference to how Apple/Cingular is going to deliver "Internet-Communicator" type services leveraging the Cingular (and down the line quad-band other GSM for other countries) GSM network.

Yeah, EDGE is sucktastic by modern mobile phone "standards". In Australia Vodafone I get 3G via I think HSDPA or something and Telstra Australia has "nextG" 256kbps 3G (not sure what standard exactly). The 3G "EVDO" tested by a number of USA reviewers has been rather promising.

I think the key point to note is that GSM-EDGE is the first step for iPhone 2nd half 2007. Beyond that, globally, Apple will need to get some 3G ass in gear or they'll be seriously hampered in the non-US market. ...Quad-band GSM, and perhaps 3 different flavours of 3G for different market segments globally in 2008. Hence, as I said, a big task for Apple to embark upon.
  • Reply 68 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

"Steve's target for 2007 (really just 2nd half of 2007) is 10 million units."

10 million units is his target for calendar year 2008. He didn't give a target for 2007.

Thanks, I just checked the SteveNote ( I hadn't finished watching it). Some journalists and analysts out there are thinking 10 million units in 2007.

10 million units in 2008. Easy peasy for Apple. GOOooooooo Apple !!!!!

Also, I've been quoting Europe as 2008 but it is US June 2007 onwards, Europe Oct-Dec (Christmas frenzy) quarter 2007, and Asia 2008.

I'd say Apple clears 15 million units by end of 2007 easy. 8)
  • Reply 69 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Oh, and my name is more a parody of LOTR than a serious name. It refers to the practice in online games of 'tea-bagging' an opponent. One of my online handles is "Scroto T. Baggins". You'll get it if you're a gamer. .

Purile, but funny ...I just had to look up WTF teabagging means. I still don't know what the hell this "Web 2.0" is by the way. Can someone explain that to me? F**k I'm getting old man........ Damn kids and the Intarweb nowadays!!!

When I did use to play CountahSterike I'd just do a quick spray paint tag and be on my merry way. Usually I'm too paranoid to hang around much once I've made a kill. I quickly run or crouch or flip 180deg pretty damn fast... Fire off some rounds randomly as I scamper off.
  • Reply 70 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

Let's randomly set $550 USD as the average selling price. A 20% margin would mean that 20% of that is profit (am I right here?) which is $110 USD PER UNIT.

Steve's target for 2007 (really just 2nd half of 2007) is 10 million units. 10,000,000 x 110 = 1100 million = 1.1 billion profit. Quarterly profit at the moment is what, 200-500 million USD...

Yup I am wrong about the 2nd half of 2007. I was also wrong about the 1.1 billion profit bit :

APPLE JUST POSTED 1 BILLION DOLLARS IN PROFIT FOR Oct-Dec 2006*. FRACK ME.

We're looking at 1-2 Billion Dollars in profit per quarter going into 2nd half of 2007 and 2008.

*Yes I know Jan-June 2007 may be less that 1 billion profit because of da post-Christmas "cooldown"...
  • Reply 71 of 78
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,578member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Melgross, you've never teabagged someone?

As I've said I'm not a gamer anymore. If I knew what it meant, I could answer your question.
  • Reply 72 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

As I've said I'm not a gamer anymore. If I knew what it meant, I could answer your question.

http://www.theaveragegamer.com/terminology/#t

"Teabagging: A nasty practice where a player will crouch over a just-killed player?s body, appearing to dangle his private regions in the face of the dead player. A rather tasteless form of victory celebration."
  • Reply 73 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

http://www.theaveragegamer.com/terminology/#t

"Teabagging: A nasty practice where a player will crouch over a just-killed player’s body, appearing to dangle his private regions in the face of the dead player. A rather tasteless form of victory celebration."

That plays to your nature. Figured you would know!

By the way, don't teabag your box! It's a highly coveted collectors item. There aren't many of them around.
  • Reply 74 of 78
    I wasn't talking about it while gaming.

You don't have to be a gamer to teabag...
  • Reply 75 of 78
    Quote:

I can't believe you guys wasted like 10 posts arguing about whether EDGE is 2.5g or 2.75g. ...

You mean you DON'T understand how something like that could happen? On the INTERNET?

Sunil, your geek card is hereby suspended. Exit the AI forums immediately, and think about what you've done.

• Reply 76 of 78
    Yeah, you of all people Sunil...
  • Reply 77 of 78
    ROFLMAO. I lost interest in the whole 2.5 vs 2.75G debate once I started "learning" about this "TeaBagging" thing... in a gaming and non-gaming context
  • Reply 78 of 78
    Quote:

ROFLMAO. I lost interest in the whole 2.5 vs 2.75G debate once I started "learning" about this "TeaBagging" thing... in a gaming and non-gaming context

That's right, keep what's important up front.