Beatles catalog to reach Apple's iTunes by Valentine's Day?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

Yeah I noticed, had to change my entire post

I grabbed a different (more appropriate) graphic from the GP website. Take that GP!
  • Reply 22 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post

Exactly!

And the mark of a great performer is to make something that has been thoroughly rehearsed look spontaneous!

Yes, it's even better than fake sincerity!

• Reply 23 of 74
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    Since all the songs Jobs played (or that were played at the Keynote) required permission (and a fee) to be played at all, we can at least believe that Apple and Apple are on commercially friendly terms. The same restrictions apply to the cover art work?without permission, Jobs would not be able to use it.

I'm not sure if the Paul McCartny divorce has anything to do with the delay, as some have suggested, but waiting to Feb 14th does give Apple's stock some good news in a season that is otherwise a bit of a doldrums.
  • Reply 24 of 74
    almalm Posts: 111member
    Indeed, compare words from A Day In The Life:

I read the news today oh, boy

Four thousand holes in blackburn, lancashire

And though the holes were rather small

They had to count them all

Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the albert hall

I'd love to turn you on

and Jobs joke about 4000 lattes.

CONFIRMED!!!!
  • Reply 25 of 74
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,908member
    I expect the new widescreen iPods will be announced on the same event. Perhaps even a special Beatles iPod. That might be just enough to lure Macca (okay and Ringo, but it's no good if it's just Ringo) to appear onstage with Jobs.
  • Reply 26 of 74
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    "how else would Album Art get on the iPhone unless they (Apple Inc) had the rights to it?"

You can download album art from many 3rd party websites for free.
  • Reply 27 of 74
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    If this is true, it would be a much better Valentine's Day present this year for Mac users vs. last year's Oompa Loompa Trojan release on Valentine's Day.

• Reply 28 of 74
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abrooks View Post

Minus his clicker going wrong and suddenly jumping into a story about him and Woz, unless....... \

I never said he couldn't improvise in an emergency, I just meant he normally doesn't, he prepares. He's not acting on stage, he's selling, and the best salesmen have a plan.
  • Reply 29 of 74
    Unless they are newly re-mastered albums, I won't be buying them. When Apple Corps put the Beatles catalog to CD, they did a horrible job of mastering the albums. There are many dynamics that sound much better on the original vinyls.

Anyone who wants the albums closer to what they originally sounded like I would suggest trying to find the Dr. Ebbetts remastered bootlegs...

http://www.bootlegzone.com/files.php?section=1&pub=160
  • Reply 30 of 74
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALM View Post

Indeed, compare words from A Day In The Life:

I read the news today oh, boy

Four thousand holes in blackburn, lancashire

And though the holes were rather small

They had to count them all

Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the albert hall

I'd love to turn you on

and Jobs joke about 4000 lattes.

CONFIRMED!!!!

Best post since "Paul is dead"
  • Reply 31 of 74
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
  • Reply 32 of 74
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I never said he couldn't improvise in an emergency, I just meant he normally doesn't, he prepares. He's not acting on stage, he's selling, and the best salesmen have a plan.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if he's got a "something went screwy and I need to fill time" anecdote ready for every keynote.
  • Reply 33 of 74
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    [QUOTE=JLL;1027068]Hopefully the remasters won't be compressed which seems to be very popular these days:

The best way to get music onto your iPod is to buy the CD's and rip them yourself. That way you can decide whether you use Apple lossless or not or the amount of compression you want. You also dont have to 'wait' for the material to appear in the iTunes store.

I have had the Beatles box set for well over a decade and it was one of the first things I put on my iPod.

Cnocbui
  • Reply 34 of 74
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

I expect the new widescreen iPods will be announced on the same event. Perhaps even a special Beatles iPod. That might be just enough to lure Macca (okay and Ringo, but it's no good if it's just Ringo) to appear onstage with Jobs.

That would be an enormous coup, and put the iPod back front and center as the über-cool device just at the right time (what with Zune mutterings and iPhone mania and stock option scandals and what-not).

Steve takes the stage and says "I buried Bill! Koo-koo-kachoo!"
  • Reply 35 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

"how else would Album Art get on the iPhone unless they (Apple Inc) had the rights to it?"

You can download album art from many 3rd party websites for free.

Sure, but you don't do that if you're Steve Jobs giving a keynote address at MacWorld regarding your most important product in years.

It's not show and tell, it's a huge corporation with strategic partnerships and a road map for world domination. Nothing happens casually, especially when very obviously including Beatles stuff is going to get everybody talking. Why would Steve knowingly set-up that kind of anticipation if he knew it would go nowhere? He may be an unusual CEO but he's not insane.
  • Reply 36 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Best post since "Paul is dead"

I was thinking he should have used "I Am the Walrus" as one of the tunes in the Keynote. That would have been a nudge and a wink in the direction of what was coming next given teh huge contoversy sparked by the original.

I thought for sure he would ahve used Revolution (1) at some point during the Keynote for obvious effect as well ...
  • Reply 37 of 74
    Somebody refresh my memory: I thought the Beatles catalogue had been sold several times, going at least through Michael Jackson? Was that something other than the reproduction rights of the original recordings themselves?

I'm curious what Apple Corps' actual asset value is at this point-- my impression was that they are little more than a holding company (and a vague impression it is, since I actually don't know what that means, exactly).

What I'm getting at, is there a chance that Apple would simply buy Apple, whatever entity that is at this point, lock, stock and Revolver?

Would that involve paying out the no doubt billions and billions of dollars the catalogue is worth? Or would it be more some kind of legalistic transfer of licensing rights?

I know it doesn't really make sense, but I seem to recall a very old interview with Jobs within which he admitted that he named Apple Apple because of the Beatles (in fact, I believe that interview was used as evidence in the Apple Corps lawsuit).

I could see Jobs regarding the union of the two as a kind of cosmic alignment of grooviness. You know he sees Apples hardware as carrying forward something of the spirit that the Beatles embodied in their day, and bullshit thought that may be, I bet the idea has great attraction for the old hippy in him.
  • Reply 38 of 74
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    This is silly. Is there anyone left who wants a Beatles song that doesn’t already have it? Or can’t get it elsewhere legitimately or for free. Bah!
  • Reply 39 of 74
    Makes sense because the last thing Apple Corps would want to do is lose the appeal. A settlement avoids that possibility but has no effect on any other trademark actions.
  • Reply 40 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by baygbm View Post

This is silly. Is there anyone left who wants a Beatles song that doesn?t already have it? Or can?t get it elsewhere legitimately or for free. Bah!

Yes. Beatles stuff still sells very well, and the various repackagings sell great.

Moreover, there is the implied endorsement if Beatles material is sold exclusively on iTunes, even temporarily. Face it, there's weird Beatles mojo still at large in the culture. Like Elvis.