Strong Mac, iPod growth may lift Apple past Street estimates

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

My base Mac is a Dual G5 Power PC and no WiFi hence the router.

In that case, it will connect via Bonjour through the router.... just like when you share your iTunes library.

If I were you, I'd get an external TV tuner to use with that G5. The software can auto-encode for H.264 and then auto-load into iTunes, which will make it available instantly via AppleTV.

You can even load your AVI files into iTunes by letting Quicktime Pro create a reference file as a MOV and then loading the reference file into iTunes.

The only thing you can't do--though I'm sure Elgato will do whatever they can to bring this functionality to you--is watch live TV from your Migilia or EyeTV tuner via your AppleTV. Now that would rock!
  • Reply 22 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In that case, it will connect via Bonjour through the router.... just like when you share your iTunes library.

If I were you, I'd get an external TV tuner to use with that G5. The software can auto-encode for H.264 and then auto-load into iTunes, which will make it available instantly via AppleTV.

You can even load your AVI files into iTunes by letting Quicktime Pro create a reference file as a MOV and then loading the reference file into iTunes.

The only thing you can't do--though I'm sure Elgato will do whatever they can to bring this functionality to you--is watch live TV from your Migilia or EyeTV tuner via your AppleTV. Now that would rock!

Fun times ahead experimenting for sure
  • Reply 23 of 33
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I realize 2 HDMIs would be nice (hear that Sony?), but sounds like optical audio and RGB will do the trick. Thanks.

Or you could get one of these.

You may not have heard of Monoprice, but I use them all the times for clients with proliferating HDMI devices and only one HDMI input on their display. The slightly pricier ones do auto switching and come with a remote, and they don't degrade the image at all. Also, they're tiny.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    g5mang5man Posts: 91member
    Well according to Apple Store the AppleTV is the number one selling item ahead of iPods. This is great news if it keeps up.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g5man View Post

Well according to Apple Store the AppleTV is the number one selling item ahead of iPods. This is great news if it keeps up.

Where do they list that?
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Incidentally, it might make even more sense in England where I believe they have to pay television licenses for receivers, but the law hasn't caught up to internet-distributed video yet.

The law's a bit "fuzzy" here regarding what constitutes equipment regarding a license. Off-topic but for FYI, the TV license heralds back to the radio license (yeah!!) which was brought in to fund the BBC. At that stage, they had no concept of TV. When TV came in (actually a bit later, cos our government is just as slow as every other) radios became free of the license, but TVs had to pay (although the license is per household, not per TV).

People have tried (and lost) in court saying that they only watched TV through their VCRs, or computers with TV tuners. The court decision was that, in effect, the license was to watch TV, not to watch a particular apparatus. I dont believe anyone has taken the issue of internet TV to court yet, so no-one really knows.

So, don't try to get out of the license fee until someone else has gone through (and won) the expensive legal fight first!!

But more importantly, when are the BBC going to do put their archive on iTunes?
  • Reply 27 of 33
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    802.11n should be PLENTY of bandwidth for compressed 720p. Wikipedia lists 200Mbps as typical (with 540 max) for 802.11n. For comparison, Blu-Ray can do 1080p and has a maximum throughput of 54Mbps, while the HD DVD spec maxes out at ~37Mbps. Most current cable and satellite HD is at 10-20Mbps.

In fact, 802.11a/g should have enough bandwidth given a good connection and zero other traffic on the line, but given real-life situations I'm not surprised they waited for 802.11n before introducing it.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:

802.11n should be PLENTY of bandwidth for compressed 720p. Wikipedia lists 200Mbps as typical (with 540 max) for 802.11n. For comparison, Blu-Ray can do 1080p and has a maximum throughput of 54Mbps, while the HD DVD spec maxes out at ~37Mbps. Most current cable and satellite HD is at 10-20Mbps.

In fact, 802.11a/g should have enough bandwidth given a good connection and zero other traffic on the line, but given real-life situations I'm not surprised they waited for 802.11n before introducing it.

Well that is good news, thanks, at night I'll pull the plug on the modem and use my g NetGear to stream to my Apple TV
  • Reply 29 of 33
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:

802.11n should be PLENTY of bandwidth for compressed 720p. Wikipedia lists 200Mbps as typical (with 540 max) for 802.11n.

So why do they give the new AirPort a 10/100 ethernet instead of gigabit? Just a shame when you can actually use it for something now.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    g5mang5man Posts: 91member
    Quote:

Where do they list that?

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....1.0.1.1.1.1.0
  • Reply 31 of 33
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    1. You don't have to buy both devices.

2. There is no prerequisite to purchase media from iTunes.

3. I get surround sound with my HDMI compatible devices.

1. Agree, if your wireless network isn't fast enough to stream that's what he hard drive is for (a 40 GB buffer).

2. Sure, but it will be a pain in the arse to get non-iTS video. You'll have to convert any other video to one of a very limited set of formats AppleTV supports (basically, 5th gen iPod formats plus one higher resolution one). In other words, Apple TV has FAR weaker video playback capabilities than FrontRow has.

3. Yes, HDMI can pass surround sound, but that doesn't mean that's what Apple TV supports. Heck, component video can carry 480i, but Apple TV won't output it. If you read the tech specs, none of the listed audio formats supports surround sound.

I'm sure there will soon be applications that will address #2, and I'm hoping I'm wrong on #3. But unless they messed up the tech specs, you aren't going to get surround sound.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    AppleTV supports AAC. The AAC format can handle up to 48 channels of sound in a single stream, so 5.1 is child's play for the format. (Even MP3 can do 5.1 in the MPEG-2 spec as opposed to stereo in the MPEG-1 spec.)
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

They wont split them until they hit $109.

Either way, it's just psychological.

Sorta like the entire market?