2nd Generation Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    I'd see them doing something limited and elegant like offering a gallery of the newest releases and maybe a gallery of classic films, similar to the way you browse theatre trailers, and you can buy it and watch it just by selecting it and confirming your selection. That seems to make the most sense, although parental control may be an issue.
  • Reply 22 of 65
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

No, I'm pretty sure the movies are in Dolby Surround sound. That kind of 4-channel signal (left, center, right, mono rear) can be carried in a stereo signal.

Actually, it's both.

Dolby digital refers to any number of channels from 1 up to a relatively large number. DVDs typically use both dolby digital 2.0 and dolby digital 5.1. The two channel track typically carries a dolby pro-logic signal in which the center and rear channel are matrix'd out of the two real channels.

On a different note...

What's all this talk about AppleTV being a real TV? If anything, it is a "network video player".

I'm actually pretty surprised that the Mac forum community is so reluctant to use this phrase. Sure, it is cumbersome, but it is also the most accurate and descriptive. Networked video players offer specific functionality and the concept needs to be considered separately from that of TV tuning and PVR functionality.

Network video players will grow in popularity and eventually be the only type of device used to playback media content.

Without using this term to refer to this type of functionality, how is it that a conversation can be had at all?

Everyone together now...

Network

Video

Player
  • Reply 23 of 65
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Everyone together now...

Network

Video

Player

Network

VCR

Pillager

Sh*t.
  • Reply 24 of 65
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Network video players will grow in popularity and eventually be the only type of device used to playback media content.

Explain the ATV (or NVP if you prefer that term) to me. I don't get it. It all starts on the pc but there is very little content on iTunes to support such a platform, or so it seems to me. I know that studio support could change in the future but they seem to really be digging in their heels against Apple and don't want to participate. I just don't know where this is heading.
  • Reply 25 of 65
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Explain the ATV (or NVP if you prefer that term) to me. I don't get it. It all starts on the pc but there is very little content on iTunes to support such a platform, or so it seems to me. I know that studio support could change in the future but they seem to really be digging in their heels against Apple and don't want to participate. I just don't know where this is heading.

The basis is that you store your media, audio/video, on your computers or a centeral disk (NAS) and access it whenever you want. It doesnt have to be purchased from iTunes, just in one of the formats that the Apple TV supports such as MP4. Eventually there is a good chance that rental services such as NetFlix will move to some form of download or streaming service, and the phone companies are working to upgrade their residential networks to allow for the bandwidth to compete with the cable companies in both highspeed internet and "cable" delivered over their network, eleminating the need for partnerships with satelite companies. Everyone is searching for the best way to deliver video on demand, and that is what it is all about. The solution outside of the cable industry is to use the internet and home computers to deliver that content to the TV.
  • Reply 26 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCG View Post

The basis is that you store your media, audio/video, on your computers or a centeral disk (NAS) and access it whenever you want. It doesnt have to be purchased from iTunes, just in one of the formats that the Apple TV supports such as MP4. Eventually there is a good chance that rental services such as NetFlix will move to some form of download or streaming service, and the phone companies are working to upgrade their residential networks to allow for the bandwidth to compete with the cable companies in both highspeed internet and "cable" delivered over their network, eleminating the need for partnerships with satelite companies. Everyone is searching for the best way to deliver video on demand, and that is what it is all about. The solution outside of the cable industry is to use the internet and home computers to deliver that content to the TV.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm starting to get it. I thought content had to be streamed through itunes so I was confused on how the device worked.
  • Reply 27 of 65
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    1) 1080p

2) larger hard drive

3) Wireless Surround sound speakers (5 smaller versions of iPod HiFi)

4) 802.11n final specifications

5) Apple Display selection - This options allows you to display your apple desktop on the TV, this combined with the new RF Apple Pro Multimedia Keyboard, will allow you to sit on your couch and use your computer.

6) I would like a iPhone sync cradle on the apple TV, except the iPhone camera is what faces forward. The Apple TV would have an iChat option in the interface that will allow the camera to work as a family room isight conference.
  • Reply 28 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geobe View Post

1) 1080p

2) larger hard drive

5) Apple Display selection - This options allows you to display your apple desktop on the TV, this combined with the new RF Apple Pro Multimedia Keyboard, will allow you to sit on your couch and use your computer.

6) I would like a iPhone sync cradle on the apple TV, except the iPhone camera is what faces forward. The Apple TV would have an iChat option in the interface that will allow the camera to work as a family room isight conference.

1) Yes, obvious.

2) Yes. They should add a DVR as well.

3) Hmm? Probably not.

4) Duh...

5) Apple would never do this until the resolution of most TVs are progressive, not interlaced.
  • Reply 29 of 65
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geobe View Post

1) 1080p

2) larger hard drive

ok, here is what i see

1) most import thing. it needs to come soon.

2)ok, no big deal

3)don't think will happen.

4)done

5)not happening

6)is this that important?

I would add that a DVR functionality might happen through Elgato hardware. I would think Apple would allow then to create hardware and software to add DVR capability to Front Row and AppleTV.

That way Apple washes their hands and is not in trouble with anybody that might not like that. (networks and movie studios).

Elgato has a seat on Apple board of directors, so I would not be surprise to see that happening.
  • Reply 30 of 65
    maybe i will be a digital TV service. all the boxes will have hundreds of channels with HD channels and whatnot and each box has WIFI 802.11n networking so you could place a TV anywhere in the house. airport extreme would be the RG and all the boxes would look similar to the Apple TV of today only that they all have DVR, itunes streaming capabilities and much more. that will be the day
  • Reply 31 of 65

• Reply 32 of 65
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Icenfs46 View Post

maybe i will be a digital TV service.

That sounds crazy, you would you pull it off?
  • Reply 33 of 65
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    I actually like my ATV just the way it is... save for one exception: no 5.1 output. As I understand it, this is a limitation of the Quicktime components that ATV uses to decode and output audio and video. So my wish for ATV 2.0 is to see a fully upgraded Quicktime that allows output of 5.1 signal. Otherwise, why even bother with HDMI or Toslink outputs?

I also agree with the posters who suggest that ATV should be able to stream audio to Airport Express. I have three of these things, each connected to a sound system. I love that I can use any of my Macs to stream to these stations, but I would love to be able to do the same from my ATV.
  • Reply 34 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

I also agree with the posters who suggest that ATV should be able to stream audio to Airport Express. I have three of these things, each connected to a sound system. I love that I can use any of my Macs to stream to these stations, but I would love to be able to do the same from my ATV.

Certainly do-able, but I think syncing the video and audio (when sent to different sources) could be problematic. I know right now, my APExp has a bit of a lag between making a change on the Mac, and hearing it from the APExp attached speakers.
  • Reply 35 of 65
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I for one don't see the demand for the Apple TV. It's simply not worth the $300 for me. I like physical discs anyway, and I have a hi-def DVR with OnDemand. Why do I need an Apple TV?
  • Reply 36 of 65

• Reply 37 of 65
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penguincentral View Post

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ed_report.html

should answer your prayers

If it's not plasma I'm gonna slap Steve, and I'm certainly not going to buy it either. Apple aren't stupid, if they go this route, this soon - it'll be plasma. A quality plasma display is FAR superior to a backlit LCD. And then onto OLED, but that's a whole other story, for a whole other decade.
  • Reply 38 of 65
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If it's not plasma I'm gonna slap Steve, and I'm certainly not going to buy it either. Apple aren't stupid, if they go this route, this soon - it'll be plasma. A quality plasma display is FAR superior to a backlit LCD. And then onto OLED, but that's a whole other story, for a whole other decade.

Plasma is not necessarily better than LCD at all. LCD has improved considerably in the last few years. Take it from someone that owns a plasma TV. LCD used to have trouble with viewing angle and black level, as well as motion blur. All of those problems are becoming non-issues with today's technology. My next TV (a long way off) will almost definitely be LCD.
  • Reply 39 of 65
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    now that would be a market...home server with stackable add on HD capability, wireless, time machine,itunes and video store etc

from tacojohn (looking for a good network thread)

Yeah- no kidding. What I really need is a home server. Really. I'd like one central server w/ a HUGE drive that allows me to store and sync all of my media.

? iTunes draws from it

? iPhoto draws from it

? iPhone can sync to it

? It backs up my data from my computers and is searchable

? It serves my personal web site

? Can be mirrored to an external drive via Time Machine

? Apple TV can play from it

? Etc.

I'd be willing to pay $800 for such a device.

The next best thing is what I'm looking for w/ the 1 drives on the network- at least my data is all in one place and backed up.
  • Reply 40 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

My next TV (a long way off) will almost definitely be LCD.

If your next set is a long way off I'll bet it'll be on a technology we haven't heard of.

I agree though that LCD sets have improved considerably. Each, plasma vs. LCD, have their strengths. Plasmas have greater contrast but LCDs seem to have greater selection in 1080p resolution(why?).

I have a plasma, which I like, but if I where getting a new set today it would probably be an LCD set.