2nd Generation Apple TV

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

This is one of the reasons why AppleTV might never see a DVD on it. Most people already own DVD players and the same content competes with iTunes.

I understand your desire to condense as many possible things in one device, but it seems unlikely that Apple will go that route. It only add on price, complexity and size to AppleTV.

Perhaps the narrow focus of the current AppleTV is why it is selling so poorly. A more functional unit might sell much better, even at a slightly higher price.
  • Reply 62 of 65
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I would agree if Blu-ray player was the case. Standard DVD I don't think it would make so attractive.

For me the biggest drawback at this point for AppleTV is the lack of content on iTunes and the lack of a rental model. If they address that in the near future I might believe the product will thrive.
  • Reply 63 of 65
    I don't mind paying (rather than renting), in fact, i prefer to own the stuff. But why would I buy low-res stuff from iTunes to watch (through AppleTV) on a 46" HDTV???? The way AppleTV is designed (only works with wide-screen/HDTV's) it's really not gonna be a big seller when it's feeder service (iTunes) only has SD content at best.
  • Reply 64 of 65
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I don't mind paying (rather than renting), in fact, i prefer to own the stuff. But why would I buy low-res stuff from iTunes to watch (through AppleTV) on a 46" HDTV???? The way AppleTV is designed (only works with wide-screen/HDTV's) it's really not gonna be a big seller when it's feeder service (iTunes) only has SD content at best.

Very true, That's why I think Apple needs to bring 1080p and 5.1 audio content for download. I understand about bandwidth limitations, but at this point the current content they have is not very attractive. At least the rental model would have an appeal because you could just watch it without owning.

If I want to own, I much rather use the money and buy a blu-ray disc and watch in nirvana on my 60" plasma display. If iTunes ends up in the future with a huge library they could give a major headache for services like Netflix and Blockbuster, because the convenience of downloading instead of going to the store or waiting for the mail.

Unfortunately, I think AppleTV is not yet ready for prime-time. It might take few years in order to have a really solid and attractive product for the masses.
  • Reply 65 of 65
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    I'll just throw out the same argument I used when the initial AppleTV came out...

Over the years and different standards, most 'better and best' TVs have usually had THREE high quality inputs (in some cases only TWO) and then perhaps two more lesser quality inputs.

The Cable box gets high quality input #1

The VCR nee DVD nee high-def DVD gets high quality input #2

The Family game system gets high quality input #3

The AppleTV has nowhere to go...

Before people start throwing out things like video enabled receivers with 6 HDMI switched inputs or matrix HDMI switch boxes etc etc etc...

1 - Additional cost (in some cases a high cost)

2 - They add levels of complexity that for many is simply unacceptable.

3 - It sucks!

To develop a system that make things operate 'seamlessly' to a point where even the mother-inlaw can't complain... simply doesn't work or is such a fragile configuration of switches cables and remotes that the slightest breeze can cause the whole system to be unwatchable until I come to the rescue. A breeze is (in this case) defined in the mother-inlaw finding and using the wrong remote to turning on / off devices manually to whatever else they can come up with to screw with the system.

Dave