Balmer discussed iPhone...he is right...frighteningly so

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonndailey View Post

The iPhone is very aesthetically pleasing, but $500 for a phone with 5 hours of battery life, an easily scratchable surface, and Cingular only is kind of...disapointing. I was in awe for the first couple days after the announcement, but then I came to a realization. Balmer is right about the price--you can get phones that have much longer battery life and are much more durable for less price.

I say "no thank you" to the iPhone. A very good start though.

Steve Jobs said that the 5 hour time is for playing video or listentening to music.

Where'd you hear about the surface scratching?

How can you debate the durability of the iPhone when it's not even shipping?

Not at one time during the keynote did Steve Jobs say the iPhone is aimed at the biz sector.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Steve Jobs said that the 5 hour time is for playing video or listentening to music.

Where'd you hear about the surface scratching?

How can you debate the durability of the iPhone when it's not even shipping?

Not at one time during the keynote did Steve Jobs say the iPhone is aimed at the biz sector.

Did he say there would be separate batteries? No. So when you're done watching full length movies on your phone, have fun making calls afterward.

If anyone is serious about making calls, they won't use the iPod functionality much. I wouldn't want to risk not being able to make a call because I was in the mood to listen to every Beatles song I owned.

btw, he said that it was 16 hours for listening to music, 5 hours for video and phone.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

The iPhone is very aesthetically pleasing, but $500 for a phone with 5 hours of battery life, an easily scratchable surface, and Cingular only is kind of...disapointing. I was in awe for the first couple days after the announcement, but then I came to a realization. Balmer is right about the price--you can get phones that have much longer battery life and are much more durable for less price.

I say "no thank you" to the iPhone. A very good start though.

But you can't get a phone and a Video iPod for the same price with that battery and size footprint.

The easily scratchable surface comment tone make you look altogether too much like a fanboy troll on your very first post, nobody knows how scratchable it is, let alone whether it is any more scratchable than any other phone out there. Now go look at battery life on smartphones. VERY VERY few have better battery times and they are in the same cost stratum. Apple has never been about being the first at anything, just so damn radically better that what came before gets thrown out. Same basic idea here.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

But you can't get a phone and a Video iPod for the same price with that battery and size footprint.

The easily scratchable surface comment tone make you look altogether too much like a fanboy troll on your very first post. Now go look at battery life on smartphones. VERY VERY few have better battery times and they are in the same cost stratum. Apple has never been about being the first at anything, just so damn radically better that what came before gets thrown out. Same basic idea here.

If not scratchable, (which it looks to be) it'll be very easily smudged. Mr. Jobs himself smudged the screen during the keynote, and when you flaunt one of it's best features (and the key to using the phone) as its screen, it defeats the purpose somewhat. 5 hours may be acceptable to a lot of people, but when you factor in that it only has one battery, that time will be reduced greatly because of every other feature the phone offers (if you decide to use those features).
  • Reply 25 of 47
    Quote:

If not scratchable, (which it looks to be) it'll be very easily smudged. Mr. Jobs himself smudged the screen during the keynote, and when you flaunt one of it's best features (and the key to using the phone) as its screen, it defeats the purpose somewhat. 5 hours may be acceptable to a lot of people, but when you factor in that it only has one battery, that time will be reduced greatly because of every other feature the phone offers (if you decide to use those features).

5 hours MAY be acceptable?

That's pretty much where phones top out, so if you find that UNacceptable, you might have to invest in a fleet of say, carrier pigeons.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

5 hours MAY be acceptable?

That's pretty much where phones top out, so if you find that UNacceptable, you might have to invest in a fleet of say, carrier pigeons.

haha. Yeah, you're right. I stand corrected on that part of the argument.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    ya whoever posted this and people that beleive him are obviously the ones that buy every product that is "As Seen On TV!!"....horrible business people

balmers point is to take away as many potential buyers, called brainwashing them back into MS, maybe steve did the same thing to the potential buyers, but it is a new product and he isnt losing anything by doing this....

balmer just wants to take business away from the attacker, like any other company, its a rivalry war and its not going to stop so stick your in in a trashcan and use your brains to think what is right for yourself, and hold up a second, the product isnt out for 6 months theres tons of information and programs they can add, so stop the hyphy about everything and lets wait
  • Reply 28 of 47
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Apple is banking on a consumer market, a market that already carry ipods, have phone contracts, and, most importantly cant justify spending $$$ on a mobile communicator as easy as a business...and the push e-mail thing: it is useless to me as a consumer if I cant use my gMail accounts with it, and what about all of the bloggers/web site enthusiasts that want ([email protected]) pushed... Also, no downloading of content via wifi SUCKS...What if I am on the road and want to get the latest Diggnation or TWIT, or some new music at the coffee shop?

Haha, you won't get Push IMAP, but the iPhone supports POP3. I just wish Gmail would finally embrace IMAP though... if not I may just drop them -_-

In order to download content, the iPhone would also have to manage content, in order to manage content, it would have to have a way of sorting them into Libraries, Playlists, etc. iTunes does it all for the phone so it makes absolutely no sense to give it WiFi downloads.

Fear not, there is a solution, this wonderful invention called the Laptop/Notebook that allows you to *gasp* carry around an entire computer with you AND download Podcasts or other content Via WiFi

Sebastian
  • Reply 29 of 47
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Kind of like a race car, years ahead of its time, just not too usefull as it isnt street legal...

No, kinda like an iPod/Cell-Phone/e-mail/web/maps/digital camera/movie player in your pocket with an easy to use UI. But all things are subjective to one's viewpoint.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

People who can only crunch numbers are just too dense to understand "innovation". These people do not have the capacity to envision a good product/idea, let alone judge one. The Mac, the iMac, the iPod, to these people, each and every one of these where doomed to fail. Yet, the innovations that these products introduced into the market are all the standard today. I recall Bill Gates saying something to the effect that no one would ever want to use a mouse and drop down menus because it was just to slow an UI. Well, why didn't he stick to his blind vision? One can say that Windows lives because the Mac was born. The iMac revolutionized computer design. Most of the MP3 players today are trying to be like the iPod.

The iPhone is years ahead of anything we now have. And if Apple hadn't done it, cell phones would have continued to be as they are now.

Get a clue and give credit where credit is due Mr. Balmer and company.

When there is Good, There is also Evil.

Do not be afraid of the Darkness, after all, when watching the Commercial for the First version of Windows on Youtube (afraid to link due to Copyright crap) it's very very hard to be afraid of the enemy.

Sebastian
  • Reply 31 of 47
    Quote:

Did he say there would be separate batteries? No. So when you're done watching full length movies on your phone, have fun making calls afterward.

If anyone is serious about making calls, they won't use the iPod functionality much. I wouldn't want to risk not being able to make a call because I was in the mood to listen to every Beatles song I owned.

btw, he said that it was 16 hours for listening to music, 5 hours for video and phone.

5 hours for Video and Talk Time.

Surely you have no reason to watch a full length Movie on the iPhone though, I mean, obviously you can, but it's much more realistic to use it for say, that short Video Podcast (Macbreak) or a quick Episode of whatever TV Show you might have lurking about.

The iPhone will be able to get through the day, obviously not if you're using it as an iPod all the time, but it's fine for that trip on the Bus, or the Train, or to wherever you might be going, and still have plenty of time to talk unless you actually do talk 5 hours or more on the phone every day.

Sebastian
  • Reply 32 of 47
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    You know

I'm probably going to the the 1st generation iPhone. Not because I'm some Jobs fanatic that buys whatever he pushes but because for a 1st gen product from a company that has never made a phone before the iPhone simply looks amazing.

Smartphones can be had that offer more bullet points but the thing Apple is truly trying to address here is a smartphone that is actually "smart"

I know people that have Treos that don't do anything special with them because they have given up on the UI. Apple's goal her is to start off small..don't overwhelm people and let the product evolve to meet people's needs.

If I get a smart phone I want to use all of its features. I want it to be a focal point of my Digital Lifestyle. I'm not concerned with playing movies personally. I'd like a little music, a lot of organization and excellent phone functionality.

Hell if this is what Apple can offer with its first try let me get on the ground level because by the 3rd generation Apple will be out of sight.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    Some buisness people will want to use it - what do these people do with their phones?

Email

Callender

View docs

Internet

Calls

iPhone does all thees, and better by the looks of it than any of the smartphones that I have owned.

I am part business & part consumer & will definately get one....the 10m sales target is the international one & if there is enough supply I think this is entirely reachable - I know lots of non-Mac users in the UK who want one & will pay for that privilege.....
  • Reply 34 of 47
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

I'm sure Jobs said it would have two batteries:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/12...etails_emerge/

http://disruptivewireless.blogspot.c...-thoughts.html
  • Reply 35 of 47
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Of course Steve Jobs said the iPhone was the thinnest phone on the market, which was equally inaccurate.

He said it was the thinnest smartphone.....
  • Reply 36 of 47
    Quote:

First off, there's a thing called a battery meter.

Second off, running the audio decoder is probably about as intense as running the cellular baseband. With modern silicon, this is not much of a drain. The big drain comes from the radio (phone/Wifi) or the backlight (video). As long as the backlight is off, you can expect the iPhone to last quite a while. This probably means several days of charge when used as a phone with occasional iPod usage.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    After all that Balmer dance craze... I've never been able to take him seriously. He could be the next President, the next Pope, or Jesus re-incarnate and I'd still snicker every time he walks by.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Not Unlike Myself View Post

After all that Balmer dance craze... I've never been able to take him seriously. He could be the next President, the next Pope, or Jesus re-incarnate and I'd still snicker every time he walks by.

i on the other hand, appreciate that he can and does act as he acts. sure, some of it gets replayed and mocked and remixed, but the guy DOES have a personality (unlike Bill Gates).

then again, its probably easy to do what you do when you are worth billions.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

i on the other hand, appreciate that he can and does act as he acts. sure, some of it gets replayed and mocked and remixed, but the guy DOES have a personality (unlike Bill Gates).

then again, its probably easy to do what you do when you are worth billions.

Gates most certainly has a personality. As far as I can tell, it's about as evident as Jobs's personality. Jobs comes across as very angry. Gates seems more friendly, more intelligent, albeit less shrewd. Ballmer is a liability.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

If not scratchable, (which it looks to be) it'll be very easily smudged. Mr. Jobs himself smudged the screen during the keynote, and when you flaunt one of it's best features (and the key to using the phone) as its screen, it defeats the purpose somewhat.

Effing incredible. He smudged it on purpose!!!! And showed that you can still read the damn thing straight on! An explicit demonstration to preempt the argument that casual smudging is a problem!!! What, are you now going to smear a melted chocolate bar on it and complain that you still can't read it?

Quote:

5 hours may be acceptable to a lot of people, but when you factor in that it only has one battery, that time will be reduced greatly because of every other feature the phone offers (if you decide to use those features).

5 hours of video, or 5 hours of talk time are pretty damn impressive. Even more so in a package that size. Hell a laptop battery capable of handling a 3 hour DVD playback weighs more than the iPhone, and you can't make a cell call out of Skype hotspot range with the laptop. Care to try again?