Apple sets free new build of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    what exactly does it mean to seed something?
  • Reply 22 of 51
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I think some of you are being very reactionary about this 'report.' There was no mention of massive show-stopping bugs. The way I read it, AppleInsider was dramatizing the fact that there were no 'appetizing' features. What does this mean? I guess its mainly 'boring' under-the-hood improvements. Let's face it, no one will be happy until the updated interface is previewed. Thats what we want to see.
  • Reply 23 of 51
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevorlsciact View Post

what exactly does it mean to seed something?

sent out to selected developers and testers
  • Reply 24 of 51
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    It seems to me that the "top secret" features are UI/app based and not kernel/AppKit based which affect developers. And they are probably not finished enough for demoing yet.
  • Reply 25 of 51
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I think Steve Jobs is putting some distance between the upcoming Vista hoopla and the announcement of the top secret stuff. I would look for a special event in later February to release these new features. Then, 3 months later look for a release (May or June). That should be enough time to iron out the GUI issues - most underlying issues are being taken care of now.

I don't think Leopard will disappoint in terms of speed (ie. usability) or features. It will be nice and snappy and will make Vista look like a POS!

I think Apple is waiting for Vista to be released and then hold a suprise meeting to release new Mac and iPod features (what was missing at MWSF); but more importantly, to announce the new features of Leopard.

We all know that Vista couldn't possibly copy Leopard features now, nor could they copy them back in August when Jobs stated that they were keeping some features secret. It's a marketing technique. Apple plans to deflate Vista in a spectacular way by announcing innovative features (regardless of there actual, real world usefulness) in an attempt to reduce Vista chatter to a mere whisper.

I expect to see another keynote in 4 to 5 weeks.
  • Reply 26 of 51
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    It appears as though they are just going to drop in a new Finder. They really have not done a single thing to the Finder except that QuickLook thing.

The current seeds have the new Xcode and the new Leopard APIs, and that is all the developers need.

You can be sure that the "real" testers, e.g. Adobe, already have more advanced builds than we do.
  • Reply 27 of 51
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I hope there's something in the old Top Secret bag that makes most folks go wow.

It's a dangerous game, to talk about extra cool secret stuff, because it really gets peoples motors running and you stand a good chance of a backlash if you can't deliver.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    Well, the under the hood stuff is, kind of, very exciting. It will probably allow Apple to do far more exciting 'user gui' fluff stuff later on. So, while not glamorous, it allows a firm foundation to build on. I'm glad Apple are taking time to make it rock solid.

Things like Core Animation hint at big secrets. Stuff like that and the Open GL 2.1 are exciting me most along with Time Machine. And there will be iLife 07 too. The iPhone is a mouth watering preview of Apple's new direction on GUI issues. And Core Animation is at the heart of it. It has obvious implications for Leopard's GUI.

If Leopard's GUI is half as tasty...

The deafening lack of 'secret news' is just Apple being Apple. Marketing gurus. Come June, we'll be falling over ourselves to get it on a tasty new Mac. And some will moan about it and demand or wait for the .1 of it.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 29 of 51
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Well, the under the hood stuff is, kind of, very exciting. It will probably allow Apple to do far more exciting 'user gui' fluff stuff later on. So, while not glamorous, it allows a firm foundation to build on. I'm glad Apple are taking time to make it rock solid.

Things like Core Animation hint at big secrets. Stuff like that and the Open GL 2.1 are exciting me most along with Time Machine. And there will be iLife 07 too. The iPhone is a mouth watering preview of Apple's new direction on GUI issues. And Core Animation is at the heart of it. It has obvious implications for Leopard's GUI.

If Leopard's GUI is half as tasty...

The deafening lack of 'secret news' is just Apple being Apple. Marketing gurus. Come June, we'll be falling over ourselves to get it on a tasty new Mac. And some will moan about it and demand or wait for the .1 of it.

Lemon Bon Bon

You make a lot of sense.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    I really don't understand the complaints here. Yes, there are bugs -- that's why this is a seed for developers and not shipping to consumers. Its not done yet! They haven't set a firm date for shipping, but currently it is winter and Apple has said spring all along. So expect some time in April through June... probably to coincide with WWDC, if it coincides with anything.

And as for what is of value in the OS, to me the biggest features are for developers. I can't wait to get my hands on it. Users may not flock to it in droves, although there are some nice goodies we already know aabout... but they will be driven to it by software that takes advantage of the new developer features. The top secret things are almost certainly flashy GUI features that developers don't need to know about. The seeds are half about testing, and half about giving early access to developers to get their 10.5-specific apps out sooner.

Apple's track record in the last 5 years has been remarkable, especially compared to their track record through the 90s and MS' on-going performance. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.
  • Reply 31 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGeekGuy View Post

If someone said this, I apologize... I didn't see it... however, has anyone considered that without all the "top-secret" features in place or clues to them, every leopard build will have some pretty gaping flaws in it?

You can't expect a perfect puzzle when a handful of the pieces are still in someone's pocket.

I think your quite right, because if these "top secret" things are as impressive as Steve Jobs says, they probably would make Leopard flawed. I mean, if they are that exciting, they must be important...
  • Reply 32 of 51
    Yes and no. Many top secret things may be improvements of current functionality, eg Finder that can be just dropped in. I bet 99% of the "top secret" things are just apps that will replace current functionality. The things the devs need for APIs are already shown.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

Yes and no. Many top secret things may be improvements of current functionality, eg Finder that can be just dropped in. I bet 99% of the "top secret" things are just apps that will replace current functionality. The things the devs need for APIs are already shown.

I'm getting pretty irritated. It's about time they release these "super top secret" features. That next keynote better be within the next 4 weeks... or else!
  • Reply 34 of 51
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    How about a database-driven-webapplication-maker utility, that uses Ruby on Rails together with Core Data, and runs your website off dot-Mac? To the user, it looks like making a simple DB in FileMaker; but it actually generates an AJAX front end and a Rails/CoreData (SQLite) backend, uploaded to dot-Mac. Comes with 25 templates for various relational database tasks.

Then there is Core Text...
  • Reply 35 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm getting pretty irritated. It's about time they release these "super top secret" features. That next keynote better be within the next 4 weeks... or else!

I would expect in around April-June, right when Leopard is released.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    OK, I did not want to believe it is true, but with such reports it seems that Apple has probably some trouble to work out the problems with the new OS, while keeping the original time table (spring release). Now some people accept June as a spring month and most probably Apple will have it ready by end of June. But in this context spring would mean mostly around April.

Time will tell. I prefer a longer wait period if this means a cleaner OS rather than a rushed release forced by the marketing ninjas. In the meantime Vista is close to the hands of the public and we will soon have more meaningful comparisons with XP and with OS X Tiger. Needless to say I am already skeptical. \
  • Reply 37 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

OK, I did not want to believe it is true, but with such reports it seems that Apple has probably some trouble to work out the problems with the new OS, while keeping the original time table (spring release). Now some people accept June as a spring month and most probably Apple will have it ready by end of June. But in this context spring would mean mostly around April.

Time will tell. I prefer a longer wait period if this means a cleaner OS rather than a rushed release forced by the marketing ninjas. In the meantime Vista is close to the hands of the public and we will soon have more meaningful comparisons with XP and with OS X Tiger. Needless to say I am already skeptical. \

Me being nitpicky What context? In this context, Spring means June since they have said in the past "Spring" and shipped literally on the last day of Spring. So by historical context Spring means June.

Also it is not uncommon for them to have lots of bugs at this stage. Vista and Tiger both had some major bugs to fix even weeks before RTM.
  • Reply 38 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They'll release the features after consumers have Vista available and Microsoft has dumped tons in marketing their OS.

OS X Leopard will then get their press conference with the "advancements over Vista" that will give consumers more reason to switch.
  • Reply 39 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

How about a database-driven-webapplication-maker utility, that uses Ruby on Rails together with Core Data, and runs your website off dot-Mac? To the user, it looks like making a simple DB in FileMaker; but it actually generates an AJAX front end and a Rails/CoreData (SQLite) backend, uploaded to dot-Mac. Comes with 25 templates for various relational database tasks.

Then there is Core Text...

They don't need this. They can re-release Cocoa Web Objects, and if you want, release a WOF Lite version that does this stuff.
  • Reply 40 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacHope theWorld View Post

I think your quite right, because if these "top secret" things are as impressive as Steve Jobs says, they probably would make Leopard flawed. I mean, if they are that exciting, they must be important...

When did Steve comment about how impressive the top secret features were? I only remember him saying there there were some top secret features they want to keep close to the vest.