USS San Francisco - Submarine - Damaged after hitting a mountain (Pics)

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
USS San Francisco - a Los Angeles Class Submarine - one of the most tricked out underwater puppies out there, that has tens of millions dollars worth of sonar, capable of picking up a farting Russian in a sub half way around the world, couldn't detect a mountain in front of it...i would hate to be the idiot that was at the helm when this happened.

http://www.intrepidearth.com/tour/ra...php?loc=012307

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mortthewiz View Post

USS San Francisco - a Los Angeles Class Submarine - one of the most tricked out underwater puppies out there, that has tens of millions dollars worth of sonar, capable of picking up a farting Russian in a sub half way around the world, couldn't detect a mountain in front of it...i would hate to be the idiot that was at the helm when this happened.

omfg. Can you say, "Relieved of Command"?

That's gonna ruin a LOT of careers, on top of the physical injuries.

On a side note, it's fickin awesome how much damage that thing took without flooding. Huzzah for water tight bulkheads!
  • Reply 2 of 25
    My cousin used to be stationed in Guam on a submarine. I'm not sure of the dates he was there though. I think he might have been on that sub when this accident happened. I'll have to ask him.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    I dunno.

It's starting to frighten me how Americans are allowed to operate a nuclear submarine without a British marine licence...
  • Reply 4 of 25
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mortthewiz View Post

Actually, I would hate to be the idiot that signed off on the nav chart indicating the chart was accurate. Especially since it was very old and newer charts showed the seamount. The guy at the helm, or even the officer of the deck, had no idea there was anything there.

As far as listening to Russian sub farts, that sub would be good at that, but mountains don't make any significant noises.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Ahh...another intrepidearth.com thread. I was wondering when you'd post another one of these...

I set the next pool at $5. And I'm guessing in 10 days, 11 hours, and 53 minutes...
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Ahh...another intrepidearth.com thread. I was wondering when you'd post another one of these...

I set the next pool at $5. And I'm guessing in 10 days, 11 hours, and 53 minutes...

Myself, I just used the spam report button
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Oh don't be a vagina greg, put your money into the pool!
  • Reply 8 of 25
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    A machinist's mate died of head injuries. \

And yeah, the damage seems fairly extensive. It's truly amazing (and wonderful) that the results weren't much more catastrophic - for the sub and its crew.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but do subs these days still have such (ancient) weapons as torpedoes? Or are those completely a thing of the past?

Just wondering.

When I was in Seattle once during Navy Week, I toured a sub-tender. Not surprisingly, a sub was right next to the tender, just a few feet away. I would have given anything to tour the sub. I don't even know if the general public ever gets to tour subs. Probably not. A friend of mine did once, but she was not really a member of the general public.

I did get to tour an aircraft carrier during that Navy Week... the carrier Abraham Lincoln. The most fun part was riding the aircraft elevator - the lift that takes the planes from the hangar bays up to the flight deck. You can't imagine how incredibly smooth that lift was. Spectacularly smooth. Such a treat.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Whoever named a submarine -- and a small submarine at that -- the "USS San Francisco" is one hell of a joker.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

Myself, I just used the spam report button

Me as well.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carol A View Post

...Maybe this is a stupid question, but do subs these days still have such (ancient) weapons as torpedos? Or are those completely a thing of the past?

Just wondering...

I would have to think so, if for the only reason as to sink other subs.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Yes, they do still use torpedoes.

They shut down the harbour entrance when they towed it in ... we had to do an extra dive that day to kill the time 'till we could go in.

And passive sonar doesn't "see" quiet things like geographical features. If they aren't actively pinging, then they just can't see stuff like rocks... they trust the charts. In wartime, actively pinging gives your position away to anyone else who might be listening, so in peacetime, they train to navigate silently.

'Twas a pretty grave few day's on base when that happened.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Wasn't there a question as to WHY they were on passive sonar in nominally safe waters....
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Yes, they do still use torpedoes.

They shut down the harbour entrance when they towed it in ... we had to do an extra dive that day to kill the time 'till we could go in.

And passive sonar doesn't "see" quiet things like geographical features. If they aren't actively pinging, then they just can't see stuff like rocks... they trust the charts. In wartime, actively pinging gives your position away to anyone else who might be listening, so in peacetime, they train to navigate silently.

'Twas a pretty grave few day's on base when that happened.

Did heads roll amongst the brass?
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:

Maybe this is a stupid question, but do subs these days still have such (ancient) weapons as torpedos? Or are those completely a thing of the past?

They still use torpedoes in the 24th century.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

Did heads roll amongst the brass?

Not that I'm aware of ... though it can't look good on your command record when it comes time for a promotion.

The folks ON the sub were actually commended for their efforts. Most engineers who saw the damage were extremely surprised that the boat wasn't still sitting (permanently) on the ocean floor.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Just thought I would make a comment, its not the first time a sub has ran into a mountain its happened before and also mountains dont make a lot a noise so they cant be heard and a sub who is hunting doesnt send out pings meaning broadcasting to everyone here I am. Im glad the sub wasnt lost. The Captains career is over.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Not that I'm aware of ... though it can't look good on your command record when it comes time for a promotion.

The folks ON the sub were actually commended for their efforts. Most engineers who saw the damage were extremely surprised that the boat wasn't still sitting (permanently) on the ocean floor.

CO was relieved. XO, OpsO and NavO fired with letters that will almost assuredly prevent them from being promoted.

After firing the CO, the Admiral in charge said the CO was set up by the poor performance of those three below him, but that he is still responsible to prevent that poor performance. A uniquely Navy view of how the world works. Then the admiral went on to say the CO probably saved the sub through his direct actions after the collision and indirectly through the training regimen he put the sub through before cruise. Previously the sub had a reputation as a poor performer and many though it would have been lost if the crew's performance had not improved as much as it had.

Either way the CO is done career-wise, even though he didn't get directly blamed.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

Wasn't there a question as to WHY they were on passive sonar in nominally safe waters....

Not at all. Subs only use active sonar in some very narrowly defined circumstances. They wouldn't be called the silent service if they waltzed around broadcasting sound several times louder than a rock concert several times a minute.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

A machinist's mate died of head injuries. \

Maybe this is a stupid question, but do subs these days still have such (ancient) weapons as torpedos? Or are those completely a thing of the past?

Just wondering.

You betcha!