Official Superbowl Thread

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Hmm. My cable just decided to flake out on me at the moment. Ah well, hopefully it will come back on in time for some [English] Football on Sunday and then [American] Football on Monday morning (Australian EST).
  • Reply 22 of 67
    Bears - 62

Colts - 3
  • Reply 23 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theapplegenius View Post

Colts - 62

Bears - 3

I fixed your typo for you.
  • Reply 24 of 67
    No. I don't think you did.

We don't have a Reche Caldwell to drop 3 touchdowns so the Colts can win the game. They're so overrated it's not even funny.

The Colts beat the Chiefs because Herm Edwards/Trent Green are teh sux. They didn't score one TD against the Ravens, and the Ravens D is on par with the Bears'. And we all know what happened against the Patriots:

How can you take that record, with Peyton Manning's noted ability to choke to death in big games, against the Bears unflappable D and their total demolition of the NFL's best offence?

You're all fucking crazy.

Edit: Oh, yeah.

• Reply 25 of 67
    16 Hours 25 Minutes to Go. My cable is back up now so I should be able to catch the game. When will the Apple ad screen? Halftime or something like that? Down here I won't see the American ads, but I'll be following closely on the forums as I watch the game.
  • Reply 26 of 67
    Quote:

"Fuck! I'm getting cut!"
  • Reply 27 of 67
    With this Supah-Bohwl thing, can someone post a commentary say every 15minutes or so when it's on Live so that I can know WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON? ...So what happened to the 49ers and OaklandRaiders? How did they do this season.....??

IMPORTANT:

Superbowl commercials will be available online at the end of each quarter:

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/postseason/superads
  • Reply 28 of 67
    Better fire-up Parallels to watch them in WindowsMedia...
  • Reply 29 of 67
    13 Hours 20 Minutes
  • Reply 30 of 67
    Who will win Super Bowl XLI?

January 23, 2007

Click here to listen to John Dewan on 670 The Score

As I discussed last week, there's a system that I've been using for the past 16 years that has correctly predicted the Super Bowl winner 14 times. It involves 12 predictors that each successfully predict the Super Bowl winner roughly 55 to 70 percent of the time, but taken together they work even better. Last year, for the first time in those 16 years, we had to go to the tie-breaker when the categories were tied 6-6 between the Steelers and Seahawks ( Can you predict the Super Bowl winner?).

The twelve categories are broken into five defensive statistics, four offensive and three overall. The winning percentage for each of the categories is based on how often that category favored the eventual Super Bowl winner. The chart below shows all of the percentages.

Now let's look at Super Bowl XLI:

Category\t Winning Percentage\t Team with Advantage

Rushing Yards / Attempt\t .550\t Colts

Rushing Yards\t .550\t Bears

Opponent Net Passing Yards\t .550\t Colts

Points Scored\t .588\t Tie

Opponent Rushing Yards / Attempt\t .600\t Bears

Fewer Net Passing Yards\t .600\t Bears

Turnover Differential\t .625\t Bears

Opponent Rushing Yards\t.625\tBears

Point Differential\t .663\tBears

Regular Season Record\t .688\t Bears

Opponent Total Yards / Game\t .700\t Bears

Points Allowed\t .713\t Bears

The Bears take the last eight categories, which are the best predictors, all at 60% or better. Of those eight, five are defensive, which confirms the adage: Defense wins championships. Overall, the Bears take nine categories and the Colts only two, with one tie. There have been 18 occasions where the system favored one of the teams with nine or more categories. That team has won 15 times.

The system leans significantly towards the Bears winning their first Super Bowl in 21 years.

I want to give credit to Jim Henzler from my days over at STATS, Inc for helping me develop the system. Jim, who also collaborated with Bill James on his book Win Shares, came up with the main elements of this system back in the early 90's.

http://actasports.com/sow.php?id=117

Back to Stat Listing
  • Reply 31 of 67
    I just can't put my finger on why *everyone* is picking against the Bears.

Is it an OMG PEYTON MANNING thing?
  • Reply 32 of 67
    Quote:

I just can't put my finger on why *everyone* is picking against the Bears.

Is it an OMG PEYTON MANNING thing?

It's more of an "I live in Indiana" thing.
  • Reply 33 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maimezvous View Post

It's more of an "I live in Indiana" thing.

Most people that are picking against the Bears aren't from Indiana.
  • Reply 34 of 67
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Am I dreaming or did they just have the pilot of one of the jets flying overhead in formation sing the national anthem?

The superbowl. Words fail.
  • Reply 35 of 67
    Touchdownnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
  • Reply 36 of 67
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Interception!
  • Reply 37 of 67
    Go to "Appleinsider" chat room - in iChat, click on menu bar File, GoToChat... enter "Appleinsider" (without the quotes)
  • Reply 38 of 67
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Going there now.
  • Reply 39 of 67
    Colts win.
  • Reply 40 of 67
    *sigh*

I look like a real asshole now. I feel like one too. The Bears couldn't have played any worse. From the terrible playcalling to shitty Rex Grossman and the get-these-four-downs-over-with-so-we-can-punt offense, it was difficult to watch.