Intel rolls out 'breakthrough' chip tech bound for Macs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    Ooh I say,

steady on matron !

Hmm,

I like this idea of constantly selling and moving on.

I shall put it in practice !
  • Reply 42 of 68
    Just to put things in context..

We did a live coverage of climbers at Mt. Everest from Everest Base Camp using a 1.4 iBook G4 in stock configuration.

What you have in your hands right now can probably get the job done, and done well at that.

The world won't come crashing down if you don't upgrade to the latest and greatest.
  • Reply 43 of 68
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

Do you guys make these names up?

(I know you don't, but it sure sounds like you do.)

I'm waiting for the Washingraham to find its way into the Mac Pro and the Schnauzerdoodle to take over the laptop class.

Intel project code names are publicly known, and are often named after rivers or or other things relevant to where they were designed. You just have to watch some chip industry fan sites. Sometimes there is confusion as to what they mean. Some people confuse the codenames for the four-socket chips with those of the two-socket chips, and sometimes the name of the platform is confused with the chipset code name.
  • Reply 44 of 68
    plusplus Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

*Jaw drops through the floor* OSX booted and ran so fast it opened a wormhole and the technician testing it actually travelled backwards through time and ended up in the North Pole.

... And luckily, it was so far back in time, there was still an ice cap on the North Pole, so the tech didn't immediately drown in the polar waters of the North Pacific (the new Polar Sea?). \
  • Reply 45 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 132GHz,4TB DDR8 SDRAM,95TB HDD View Post

However, no doubt this is good news for everyone, its not for me.

It means my investment will be obselete very quickly

No having the latest tech does not make your machine obsolete. Does your car no longer accept the common fuel or run on highways because a new model came out the next year? Will your DVD drive, 802.11, and OS go the way of the dodo just because there is a new processor on the horizon? You computer is still as useful as it was the day before.

What you won't have is a status symbol from owning the latest tech or the ability do function as fast as few others but your machine is far from being obsolescence.
  • Reply 46 of 68
    Although the systems do get faster, the difference is not enough to make the previous processor obsolete. We still have 500 Mhz G4 systems from 1999-2000 running 10.4.9 almost as well as the newer intel machines. I mean sure, there is a noticeable difference in speed, but for a lot of things, the old machines still run really well (and will run all of the most current software even if a little slow). Also, I have extensively used both my MacBook 2Ghz CoreDuo and a MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz Core2Duo and the difference in speed is unnoticeable. I'll bet my MBP 2Ghz CoreDuo will still be a perfectly usable machine for the next five years just like my Titanium PowerBook was (which is still being used by someone else).

However, I do understand the desire to always have the best, and the possibility to do so for too long is diminished by the quick upgrade cycle.
  • Reply 47 of 68
    Old systems aren't obsolete as long as you know exactly what their limits are and use them for the proper tasks. My 2nd generation iBook is only fast enough to handle web surfing and simple test/data entry these days. Anything more, I'll be spending time staring at the beach ball.

I'm also in the market for a new mac. I too hope this "breakthrough" will come sooner.
  • Reply 48 of 68
    if the intel chips "screamed" at introduction, i wonder the adjective that will be used when these are introduced.
  • Reply 49 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icibaqu View Post

if the intel chips "screamed" at introduction, i wonder the adjective that will be used when these are introduced.

Throb. The new ones will throb.
  • Reply 50 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

I was all set to buy a new, spring MBP based on the Santa Rosa platform so what do I do now, wait until the fall for a Penryn system? Will it be slightly faster, slightly cooler, and have a bit more battery life? Is it worth the wait? I've got a 9/03 PB and would like to get a MBP with Leopard.

Or do you wait a full year for Nehalem to unlock Penryn's full potential? There is always something just a little bit better a few months down the road. According to Intel, Penryn is intended as the "tick" and Nehalem as the "tock".

For me, what this means is:

1. Instead of hoping that the MacMini would get bumped to Core @ Duo + Leopard not too long after the release of Crestline/Santa Rosa later this spring, I'll probably have to wait until WWDC in June, with systems shipping in August. This also means Apple might wait and do a complete refresh of all their Mac lines @ WWDC in June 2007 some shipping immediately, and others shipping August 31st.

2. The gap between the MacMini/MacBook and the MacBook Pro/Mac Pro is going to widen. There is no reason to put a Penryn into a MacBook/MacMini until WWDC 2008 after Nehalem can be paired with it. Because the Core 2 Duo is 64-bit and Crestline will take full advantage of it, Apple can afford coast on these chips at their low end for awhile and let the performance and price gap widen while their high end gets the Penryn and Nehalem.

3. Apple might quitely refresh Macs and release Leopard in May or even April and devote the bulk of WWDC to writing software for the iPhone. Then Apple can do another Mac refresh in Sept/Oct just in time for holiday shopping.
  • Reply 51 of 68
    The news doesn't seem to have hurt AAPL, INTC or HPQ... bwahahahaha!!!
  • Reply 52 of 68
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

Harpertown also seems to be the codename for the quad-core server version (Clovertown 45nm update).

That leaves room for another chip to make them 5 (5 chips were demo'ed if I remember well). Maybe it's a new dual-core Xeon whose code name should end in "crest" (Woodcrest 45nm update).

Perhaps an MP capable 45 nm successor to Tulsa?
  • Reply 53 of 68
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Not to burst any bubbles here because I am totally behind the intel switch, but IBM made the announcement of the same technology at the same time, and if they are still working with AMD, AMD wont be too far behind.

IBM, Intel pace each other with improved transistors

Not to burst any myself, but Intel has about a six month lead over the IBM-AMD led consortium in getting these new chips to market. From the article you quote:

AMD plans to produce its first 45-nm chips in mid-2008,

Intel plans to have theirs out by the end of '07.
  • Reply 54 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

Do you guys make these names up?

(I know you don't, but it sure sounds like you do.)

I'm waiting for the Washingraham to find its way into the Mac Pro and the Schnauzerdoodle to take over the laptop class.

Seems like the chips are code-named after towns and cities in both England and the U.S.

You're right, this could be cooler.

I'm wanting a Barad-dur chip line, or perhaps a Xanadu processor with a Las Vegas gpu and a side of Compton something or another.

Oh, lets not go there with the 'Compton' line of chips...
  • Reply 55 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Rhetorical Questions:

Is there still anyone who thinks Apple make a poor choice by going with Intel over other chip makers?

Not me anymore. Motorola, IBM, Freescale et al can suck it. 8)

• Reply 56 of 68
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Quote:

...I'm glad I didn't get a Core2Duo, instead an eBay'ed MacBook Core[1]Duo with 2gb RAM 2ghz CPU. Fan noise is the only niggle, but a good chance to learn and help my perfectionist ways to be more forgiving... *sniff*... Come home soon, my precioussss (LCD screen being swapped because of 1 dead pixel and 2 small white spots....! yay!)...

Fan noise? any fan noise that you're hearing is not normal, and something is wrong with the machine. I have a Core Duo 2ghz MBP and I cant even hear the fan when i make it spin faster than normal with smcfancontrol. I did have a noise problem early on, a buzzing type sound, but it was a faulty display inverter buzzing, and not the fan. I saw a few others with this problem (it was a bit widespread) and people thought it was the fan, but it wasn't.
  • Reply 57 of 68
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

Fan noise? any fan noise that you're hearing is not normal, and something is wrong with the machine. I have a Core Duo 2ghz MBP and I cant even hear the fan when i make it spin faster than normal with smcfancontrol. I did have a noise problem early on, a buzzing type sound, but it was a faulty display inverter buzzing, and not the fan. I saw a few others with this problem (it was a bit widespread) and people thought it was the fan, but it wasn't.

MacBook, not MacBookPro. You lucky people with sexier MacBookPro Aluminium with 2 fans and 15" have not fan noise issues, unless you load 100% both cores. Can you try this for me? Don't use smcFanControl, instead, open two or three terminal windows, and type "yes>/dev/null" into all of them (without the quotes) and press enter. After 5-15 minutes there should be max processor use and let me know how the fan noise goes.

It's different for the smaller MacBook with only one fan that speeds up quite fast. I checked with a MacBook Core[2]Duo, it is as loud as the MacBook Core[1]Duo when 100% loading both cores. An AppleCare Tech "verified" (whatever weight this carries) the 6200rpm max fan speed noise when maxed with smcFanControl is "nothing alarming"...... meaning "normal".

Thanks for your help, let me know how it goes.
  • Reply 58 of 68
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    With fans at default, I still cant hear any noise from the MacBook pro, though its quite hot and the CPU temp is picked up around 185 degrees (on iStat Pro). If i stick my ear down to the keyboard i can kind of hear the fan, barely.

Quote:

MacBook, not MacBookPro. You lucky people with sexier MacBookPro Aluminium with 2 fans and 15" have not fan noise issues, unless you load 100% both cores. Can you try this for me? Don't use smcFanControl, instead, open two or three terminal windows, and type "yes>/dev/null" into all of them (without the quotes) and press enter. After 5-15 minutes there should be max processor use and let me know how the fan noise goes.

It's different for the smaller MacBook with only one fan that speeds up quite fast. I checked with a MacBook Core[2]Duo, it is as loud as the MacBook Core[1]Duo when 100% loading both cores. An AppleCare Tech "verified" (whatever weight this carries) the 6200rpm max fan speed noise when maxed with smcFanControl is "nothing alarming"...... meaning "normal".

Thanks for your help, let me know how it goes.

• Reply 59 of 68
    ksolksol Posts: 2member
    While I'd love to see what kind of batter boost penryn brings, I'd imagine most people (myself included) will be quite happy with the Santa Rosa chip set (true 64-bit memory addressing *drool*). That being said, I hope I don't have to wait until wwdc for leopard/santa rosa, my powerbook is seriously starting to show it's age. (that and the idea of going from powerbook+windows dt to macbookpro has been *almost* too tempting as it is...)
  • Reply 60 of 68
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksol View Post

While I'd love to see what kind of batter boost penryn brings.....

MMmmmm... Deep fried 45nm chips.... Yummy 8)