Briefly: Early iPhone rumors afloat

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Though largely unconfirmed, a steady stream of reports are implying that Apple Inc's iPhone could hit the market a bit earlier than the company's June forecast, AppleInsider can attest.

The majority of those reports gain their legs from sources with supposed ties to wireless carriers Verizon and Cingular.

According to one account, Cingular has penciled in a loose launch date for late April. Despite some last minute requests by Apple on how the phone should be sold and activated, the report states that it is unlikely availability would slip beyond May.

Meanwhile, reputable sources in recent weeks have said that it's neither hardware nor FCC certification that are delaying the iPhone launch, but rather additional time needed to harmonize Cingular's backend with the mobile variant of Mac OS X that runs on the device.

Perhaps the most compelling evidence in support of the recent rumors arrived prior to the iPhone's premier and in the form supply chain checks out of Taiwan. For instance, the China Times reported in November that manufacturer Foxconn would begin production of the device in the first quarter of the year.

Subsequent checks by several Wall Street analysts also suggested that Foxconn would begin delivering the first batch of iPhones late in the first quarter or early second quarter. Based on those accounts, Apple's June timeframe would appear extremely conservative.

However, it should be noted that Apple rarely beats its own product launch forecasts and often pushes the limits of those self-imposed deadlines. Therefore, the recent rumors should be considers just as they are: rumors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    The software looked pretty incomplete to me.

Many of the apps launched to nothing but a mockup of what the app should look like.

This isn't a big issue as Apple will certainly be rolling out updates fast and furious.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    gambitgambit Posts: 475member
    I think the only thing better than an iPhone announcement would be an early iPhone release. Waiting is killer.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    brianusbrianus Posts: 160member
    Quote:

"However, it should be noted that Apple rarely beats its own product launch forecasts and often pushes the limits of those self-imposed deadlines"

I haven't been following Apple for very long, but didn't they beat their proposed Intel roll-out schedule by like half a year, at least?
  • Reply 4 of 43
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    If Steve said June it will be June.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianus View Post

I haven't been following Apple for very long, but didn't they beat their proposed Intel roll-out schedule by like half a year, at least?

Well if you count product announcements, sure, but their xserves SHIPPED late in 06, November perhaps? So as far as server products, they came close to that deadline
  • Reply 6 of 43
    I'm sick of all this iPhone stuff. Wheres my Powerbook G5?
  • Reply 7 of 43
    brianusbrianus Posts: 160member
    I think it was October, but I thought I remember hearing back in 2005 that their high-end Intel workstation and server replacements weren't supposed to be out until some time in 2007.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

agreed.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I think Steve said that the Intel transition would still be taking place into 2007.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

The software looked pretty incomplete to me.

Many of the apps launched to nothing but a mockup of what the app should look like.

This isn't a big issue as Apple will certainly be rolling out updates fast and furious.

David Pogue did say that most of the apps were still JPEGs. That might have been a placeholder for an undeveloped app, but it might just be something placed there to avoid having underdeveloped or unstable apps causing problems in the presentation.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think Steve said that the Intel transition would still be taking place into 2007.

true true. i hate all this not knowing stuff, but then again, the stuff that apple churns out is, in a word, amazing... so i guess its all worth waiting for.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though largely unconfirmed, a steady stream of reports are implying that Apple Inc's iPhone could hit the market a bit earlier than the company's June forecast, AppleInsider can attest.

Hey, I'm confused. Are you attesting to the April release date, or attesting that there are lots of reports implying an april release date?

Quote:

Meanwhile, reputable sources in recent weeks have said that it's neither hardware nor FCC certification that are delaying the iPhone launch, but rather additional time needed to harmonize Cingular's backend with the mobile variant of Mac OS X that runs on the device.

Well, duh! Steve said it would take two months for FCC approval, then says June. So, there'd be at least 4 months of gap in there. And the FCC part is trivial, and could be approved well before the OS was finished.

Quote:

However, it should be noted that Apple rarely beats its own product launch forecasts and often pushes the limits of those self-imposed deadlines. Therefore, the recent rumors should be considers just as they are: rumors.

In almost all cases, Apple barely meets its deadlines by releasing 2 of a product on the final day, saying they're shipping, and then still holding potential buyers in limbo for months to come.

The Intel rollout may have proceeded quicker then expected. And that wasn't so much as a delivery schedule for a product as a total line coverage. The XServe was delayed past its announced release date when steve pushed it at WWDC last year.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    Quote:

Says who?

First, Apple doesn't give a lot of "forecasts." Second, when Apple does say that a product is coming in X weeks or months, they usually overshoot on purpose to appear ahead of the curve.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    Many of us in this list speculated this would happen, given Apple's recent behavior (granted, I did not do it here, but did so in another forum). So this would be a tad unsurprising .......

However, if it were to be bumped up to, say, 16GB, or have a price drop of even $50 for the same GB, or ends up with some other significant functionality that people have been yearning for, that would be news.

If the product is only as promised in January -- i.e., no additonal surprises other than an earlier release -- I suspect it will have peaked too early (say, by March), and people will wait another six months or so from the launch date (i.e., wait until Christmas).
  • Reply 15 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Therefore, this thread is unnecessary. This stuff just writes itself.

/On a somewhat somewhat related subject, when steve was demoing the phone, at one point he said he was going to demonstrate the calander app, but he never did?
  • Reply 16 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

• Reply 17 of 43
    Just because they were pictures doesn't mean that they have done zero coding on those apps. It just means that they were not good enough to be demoed in the Keynote and we all know the level of perfection required from SJ. It would be a terrible mistake to have the phone (and keynote demo) choke if the wrong widget was selected.

I would not be surprised if there were not more fully functional widgets by the time of the launch with the same polish of the apps seen so far.

This is a prime marketing 101, never show your hand before you have to. Just give enough to make the market salivate. We will see more from the phone - mark my words....
  • Reply 18 of 43
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    While I would love for this to be true, I highly doubt it is.

My reasoning:

1. Software is not done

2. They will want a production ramp of some time to build inventory

3. (Dreaming) There are serious ties to Leopard--aka The Secret Features--which will make the Leopard launch along with iPhone simply incredible

Having consulted to phone companies, my money is on the fact that Apple is setting fake deadlines for Cingular and their team to hit. This way, when they slip--and they will slip--it will not embarrass Apple too much, if at all.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Caribou Killa View Post

I'm sick of all this iPhone stuff. Wheres my Powerbook G5?

They already released the Powerbook G5, its called Macbook Pro. The G series of processors (By IBM) have been discontinued and you will never see another G-Anything processor from Apple. What you may wanna keep an eye out for is a AMD processor availabilty
  • Reply 20 of 43
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjayBot View Post

They already released the Powerbook G5, its called Macbook Pro. The G series of processors (By IBM) have been discontinued and you will never see another G-Anything processor from Apple. What you may wanna keep an eye out for is a AMD processor availabilty

I think he was being cynical.

Everything you said is correct though.