Apple Airport & Xbox 360

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dpope View Post

Thanks Vinea!

I figured something was wrong with the new Apple Extreme. I will wait until Apple releases a new firmware to fix the problem. I am sure they are on top of it as we speak.

(again) From the Apple forums it sounds like the 360 does not play well with any of the Draft N routers. Perhaps a patch from MS is on the way?

C.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    dpopedpope Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

(again) From the Apple forums it sounds like the 360 does not play well with any of the Draft N routers. Perhaps a patch from MS is on the way?

C.

I would hope so. It sounds like an issue with the Airport Extreme but I hope they both realize the issue and fix it.

I understand the HEX password but what I don't get is why the Airport Extreme is not discoverable when it's in WEP Security mode. The XBOX 360 can't even detect the router so I can say connect and enter the password.

Even if I try to hard configure the XBOX 360, it still won't acknowledge the router.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    You have to enable SSID transmission. By default Apple routers don't transmit SSID when encryption is active. This is a separate option from WEP/WPA/WPA2.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

You have to enable SSID transmission. By default Apple routers don't transmit SSID when encryption is active. This is a separate option from WEP/WPA/WPA2.

Ah yes. That's what I meant earlier when I wrote:

Quote:

Have you made sure the AE is set up to show the network's name even with security enabled?

• Reply 25 of 42
    Quote:

I spoke to an Apple engineer for over 2 hours on the phone today. Initially, he was going to send out a new router but after further review told me to wait for a new "firmware" update. They have some known issues with the NEW Apple Extreme Router.

I can honestly say the NEW router from Apple needs some work.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    Quote:

PBDG... as posted several times, I am able to see the SSID of the router if NO security is enabled in the router. If I turn on WEP, then I am no longer able to see the SSID.

Apparently, this is a known issue with Apple's NEW Extreme router. I was told to wait on a firmware update from Apple.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Quote:

PBDG... as posted several times, I am able to see the SSID of the router if NO security is enabled in the router. If I turn on WEP, then I am no longer able to see the SSID.

Apparently, this is a known issue with Apple's NEW Extreme router. I was told to wait on a firmware update from Apple.

Exactly. As I posted, enabling security (WEP/WPA) and enabling SSID transmission are two different options.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:

Exactly. As I posted, enabling security (WEP/WPA) and enabling SSID transmission are two different options.

PBG... no worries mate. Apple has told me it's a problem. They will be releasing a firmware update.

Also, I do understand they are seperate but it's not the issue.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    OK, just wanted to make sure I was clear with what I was trying to say.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Quote:

OK, just wanted to make sure I was clear with what I was trying to say.

I really do appreciate your responses. Checking and double checking is not a bad thing after all.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Hi. I was wondering if connecting an Xbox 360 via an ethernet cable to the new Airport Extreme would be okay...?

I know the original question or concern was about a wireless connection with the 360, but I'm only going to use my MacBook wirelessly with the new Airport Extreme base station.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Greg S View Post

Hi. I was wondering if connecting an Xbox 360 via an ethernet cable to the new Airport Extreme would be okay...?

Sure it will work.

The problem is only to do with Wireless security. With wireless security turned on, the 360 (stupidly) will not allow you to select the network and enter the password. Wired connections are unaffected.

C.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    Quote:

Sure it will work.

The problem is only to do with Wireless security. With wireless security turned on, the 360 (stupidly) will not allow you to select the network and enter the password. Wired connections are unaffected.

C.

Thank you. Just wanted to be sure.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Quote:

Sure it will work.

C.

I want to be clear Carniphage...

This is NOT an issue with the XBOX 360. This is an incompatibility issue with Apple's new router. It's funny how Apple's new router has issues with security when Linksys, Buffalo, Belkin, NetGear, ORIGINAL APPLE Router works? Yet you seem to blame it on Microsoft?

Anyway, I am returning the Apple Airport Extreme because of the incompatibility issues. It's really really cool but under performs.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Look, think about this. The new Apple router uses another wireless standard that the 360 might not play well with. The problem here doesn't just lie with one company or the other. Honestly, from this thread I think that this problem exists more with you than either of the hardware pieces.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maimezvous View Post

Look, think about this. The new Apple router uses another wireless standard that the 360 might not play well with. The problem here doesn't just lie with one company or the other. Honestly, from this thread I think that this problem exists more with you than either of the hardware pieces.

I originally had thought it was me but I eliminated me when I called Apple Tech support. They walked me through various scenarios. Also, an articled was released about it today. The tech support convinced me it was an Apple related issue since the ORIGINAL Airport extreme works along with numerous other routers from different companies.

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/02/07/xbox-...rport-extreme/

So again, another Apple Fanboy who is more concerned about Apple's image than the problem itself. You know, Apple is not perfect and their shit does stink.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Yes I know Apple is not perfect and their excrement does stink, just like yours. You have come here asking for help and I, as well as a few others, have tried to help you. However, you have refused all of it on the grounds that you've tried it and contacted Apple and have them confirm it. Whenever we have suggested a solution all you have said is "don't worry Apple told me it was a problem". Do you know what that tells us? You were too lazy to actually try our solutions and/or let us know exactly what happened. You've also said that other routers work fine, but guess what you haven't told us, what wireless standard those other routers use. I doubt 801.11n is anywhere in those routers.

Also I read that article, did you? It says that it's an Xbox problem, not Apple's.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maimezvous View Post

Yes I know Apple is not perfect and their excrement does stink, just like yours. You have come here asking for help and I, as well as a few others, have tried to help you. However, you have refused all of it on the grounds that you've tried it and contacted Apple and have them confirm it. Whenever we have suggested a solution all you have said is "don't worry Apple told me it was a problem". Do you know what that tells us? You were too lazy to actually try our solutions and/or let us know exactly what happened. You've also said that other routers work fine, but guess what you haven't told us, what wireless standard those other routers use. I doubt 801.11n is anywhere in those routers.

Also I read that article, did you? It says that it's an Xbox problem, not Apple's.

You bet I read the article and their wrong to say it's an XBOX problem. Also, the fact that I went directly to the source of the problem (Apple) makes me lazy? Good observation. I did try the suggestions posted here but unfortunately the didn't help but for a good reason.

Apple and every other vendor out there decided to release a new router based on wireless specification that hasn't been released yet. By doing so, we have been seeing numerous routers/devices not "playing well" each other. Microsoft's XBOX 360 doesn't support the N specification so it's on the vendor (apple, belkin, linksys, etc.) to make sure their routers work with devices that support previous specifications UNTIL they release the FINALIZED N specification.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/14/f...to-the-future/
  • Reply 39 of 42
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

You bet I read the article and their wrong to say it's an XBOX problem. Also, the fact that I went directly to the source of the problem (Apple) makes me lazy? Good observation. I did try the suggestions posted here but unfortunately the didn't help but for a good reason.

Apple and every other vendor out there decided to release a new router based on wireless specification that hasn't been released yet. By doing so, we have been seeing numerous routers/devices not "playing well" each other. Microsoft's XBOX 360 doesn't support the N specification so it's on the vendor (apple, belkin, linksys, etc.) to make sure their routers work with devices that support previous specifications UNTIL they release the FINALIZED N specification.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/14/f...to-the-future/

Yah, but that's kinda not his point. Whomever's problem it is, you're sitting with an unconnected XBox or a wide open network. Even getting WEP up is better than nothing. That likely can be done with tweaking.

As far as who's fault it is, a bit of both. The router is buggy and the 360 really should implement WPA2.

Vinea
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Yah, but that's kinda not his point. Whomever's problem it is, you're sitting with an unconnected XBox or a wide open network. Even getting WEP up is better than nothing. That likely can be done with tweaking.

As far as who's fault it is, a bit of both. The router is buggy and the 360 really should implement WPA2.

Vinea

Actually, not any more. I have returned the Apple Extreme router for a refund. Apple makes really cool look products but the router needs more work. Also, for those of you thinking you can take the NEW Apple Extreme router and bridge it with a Airport Express, you can't. The engineer and I spent about 2 hours trying to get it to work. He said they must have turned that off in the new update which he went on to explain why.

Let's not start blaming Buffalo and Lacie because their USB drives don't "play nice" with Apple's new router either. Check the other threads.