Apple's iPod shuffle now available in five colors

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Hmmm.... they seem to be trending orange over at the MacAch as well.

I'm ready to call it: orange wins. Look for shortages in the near future.
  • Reply 42 of 61
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Now, I'm trying to figure what there is about orange that is making it so popular, at least among those who are probably not buying it.

Of the original iMac colors, orange was one of the least popular. What could have changed?
  • Reply 43 of 61
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I would call removing most of the typical features of the then current digital music players as "pioneering". When every company was adding features in a vain attempt to trump Apple's iPod hold, Apple went and made a device so simplistic that it only had two modes: shuffle and non-shuffle.

It's obvious that Melgross isn't saying that the shuffling technology is pioneering--we all obviously know it's existed in CEs for at least 2 decades--but to envision and then see the potential in making a scant device with only an On switch and Shuffle mode is pioneering.

Oh yes, I agree with that absolutely. I wasn't saying "do you seriously think the iPod Shuffle is pioneering?", I was talking purely about the shuffle feature in and of itself.

Oh, and weirdly, I really like the orange one too. I wouldn't have expected that at all - odd. Anyone else surprised to find themselves liking it? Maybe it's got something to do with a combination of size and colour.
  • Reply 44 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Oh yes, I agree with that absolutely. I wasn't saying "do you seriously think the iPod Shuffle is pioneering?", I was talking purely about the shuffle feature in and of itself.

Oh, and weirdly, I really like the orange one too. I wouldn't have expected that at all - odd. Anyone else surprised to find themselves liking it? Maybe it's got something to do with a combination of size and colour.

I've always been partial to the silver colour, but if given a choice I'd go with the orange too.

...but that is only because Apple hasn't released a zune-brown colour. :-)
  • Reply 45 of 61
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What about Bluetooth? What purpose would that serve in an iPod, if it also doesn't allow sharing?

I would really like cordless headphones without an awkward and potentially fragile dock add-on.

Quote:

Now, I'm trying to figure what there is about orange that is making it so popular, at least among those who are probably not buying it.

Of the original iMac colors, orange was one of the least popular. What could have changed?

It's been nearly ten years, so maybe preferences might have changed. I like the orange more than the pink, but that's not saying much. Gold was dropped from the mini line-up, so maybe it's not going to be that hot. It's really hard to tell. I don't know how to get color popularity numbers for consumer electronics.
  • Reply 46 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I would really like cordless headphones without an awkward and potentially fragile dock add-on.

True. The question would be the cost.

Quote:

It's been nearly ten years, so maybe preferences might have changed. I like the orange more than the pink, but that's not saying much. Gold was dropped from the mini line-up, so maybe it's not going to be that hot. It's really hard to tell. I don't know how to get color popularity numbers for consumer electronics.

There is an organization that keeps track of this sort of thing, but, I haven't referred to it in years, so I forget the name.
  • Reply 47 of 61
    You know, there was some kind of general agreement amongst marketers of various object a few years ago that that exact shade of orange (slightly metallic and all) was cool. Cars, tableware, rugs, clothes, advertising-- everywhere.

I realize this is probably driven by color consultants who are trying to predict what people will be liking when your product hits the shelves (and no doubt that's how MS ended up with a brown Zune), but maybe it works the other way, as well.

That is, I wonder if having been exposed to this shade of orange (a lot) over the last few years has conditioned us to think well of it? Whereas before we might have said "WTF? Orange? Who the hell buys orange things?"
  • Reply 48 of 61
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    That shade of orange just seems to "pop" in a pleasant and unannoying way.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

That shade of orange just seems to "pop" in a pleasant and unannoying way.

Yeah, and it's not "orange orange" but a kind of nice, pumpkin pie and fall leaves umbery orange.
  • Reply 50 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You know, there was some kind of general agreement amongst marketers of various object a few years ago that that exact shade of orange (slightly metallic and all) was cool. Cars, tableware, rugs, clothes, advertising-- everywhere.

I realize this is probably driven by color consultants who are trying to predict what people will be liking when your product hits the shelves (and no doubt that's how MS ended up with a brown Zune), but maybe it works the other way, as well.

That is, I wonder if having been exposed to this shade of orange (a lot) over the last few years has conditioned us to think well of it? Whereas before we might have said "WTF? Orange? Who the hell buys orange things?"

I hadn't seen it before the iMac came out. Then, everything had iMac colors, including an Italian series of motor scooters.

I think of these colors as iMac colors. Except for the fact that they are anodised aluminum, rather than transparent plastic, they are exactly the same. Though, there isn't any purple, the most popular of the iMac colors. Instead, we have the blue.
  • Reply 51 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

The metallic orange is way cooler than the watered down orange drink colour they used for the iMac. I don't exactly know why it's THAT much better than the other metallic colours, but it is.
  • Reply 52 of 61
    Quote:

I hadn't seen it before the iMac came out. Then, everything had iMac colors, including an Italian series of motor scooters.

I think of these colors as iMac colors. Except for the fact that they are anodised aluminum, rather than transparent plastic, they are exactly the same. Though, there isn't any purple, the most popular of the iMac colors. Instead, we have the blue.

Maybe, but the big wave of orange stuff was within the last three years, well after the original iMacs had left the scene. Maybe just ahead of its time.
  • Reply 53 of 61
    solarsolar Posts: 84member
    Quote:

I thought it was more right in the middle, with grape and lime coming in last.. I remember seeing a bunch of half price Rev D iMacs at a Sams Club after the DV was annouced, and they were all grape and lime.
  • Reply 54 of 61
    Hey, I just noticed this:

Here are the new Shuffles

And here is a still from the iPhone roll out

Look likes Apple has some pretty specific notions about color schemes.....

EDIT: can't post a shot since the graphics are links, but on the iPhone page there are the three above plus the one for "High Technology" which is grey, and in the end position same as the Shuffle shot.

I'm telling you people, it's a message from Steve! "Pink" is the secret iPhone app! Wait a minute, wasn't pink the codename for .......
  • Reply 55 of 61
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Just a mention for Australian purchasers intending to do the Mac + iPod back-to-uni/school/college deal, the iPod Shuffles DO NOT qualify. I like the colours nonetheless. Enjoy !!!! Zune Pune. Pffft. WTF
  • Reply 56 of 61
    wjhmhwjhmh Posts: 55member
    Yeah, like everyone else I saw the new color addition coming, but there is no purple, red, black, white, yellow, gold, etc..

It would br great to customize your own colors but the overall cost of that would prevent it from happening through Apple.
  • Reply 57 of 61
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WJHMH View Post

Yeah, like everyone else I saw the new color addition coming, but there is no purple, red, black, white, yellow, gold, etc..

It would be great to customize your own colors but the overall cost of that would prevent it from happening through Apple.

It's basically an inventory nightmare. It may be worth having a dozen or so colors for a bigger ticket item.

If you know a hobbyist with an airbrush and good masking skills, you might be able to "candy coat" a silver one to any color you want. It's basically a translucent paint, or tinted clear coat.
  • Reply 58 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's basically an inventory nightmare. It may be worth having a dozen or so colors for a bigger ticket item.

If you know a hobbyist with an airbrush and good masking skills, you might be able to "candy coat" a silver one to any color you want. It's basically a translucent paint, or tinted clear coat.

The main reason why Best Buy stopped carrying the original iMacs was because Apple insisted that all resellers carry the entire color line, in even numbers. Best Buy didn't want to carry the ones that didn't sell. A case of Apple's intransigence. Who knows what damage that may have caused?

I don't recommend spray painting anodized aluminum. Unless you are willing to take it apart, and bake on a powder coat, it won't stick. I've experimented with many paints, and overcoats, but they all scratch off.
  • Reply 59 of 61
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WJHMH View Post

It would br great to customize your own colors but the overall cost of that would prevent it from happening through Apple.

That's what colorwarepc is for my friend.
  • Reply 60 of 61
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

It's amazing how much this quote and your signature say about you.

Maybe.....but maybe not! I could be a midget, you don't know my life.