Vista dawns, world yawns

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 116
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

You guys are making my point for me. I say there is no innovation in the computer industy and u all say "look at the iPod and the iPhone." They changed their name from Apple computer and Apple Inc for a reason. Nothing new in innovation in the computer area. Consumer electronics, innovation is everywhere, not just Apple.

I can sorta see what you're saying.

However, what you point out above about the name change to "Apple Inc" - I'd call that a hugely innovative change in a business. A change in direction and focus.

Computers are part of the product matrix and if it means utilising and incorporating that tech into developing products that are called "consumer", what the hell. Do it.

So many areas of tech are converging that Apple have to go there - a wide open field of cash cows waiting to be milked.

God - look at the iPhone - jeez those other companies have what, a 20 year march on Apple. Apple shouldn't even be able to touch their product offerings.

They have tho' - first time up, too with something that is better suited to what the market actually wants from a handheld device, imo.

edit; we're heading way ot here, so to bring it back to Vista.

I can't even begin to think how M$ or a third party dev might start to use Vista in some of these areas.

I guess it will be used in some form - but once again they'll ride on apple's coat-tails with alternative products.
  • Reply 102 of 116
    I installed Vista Home Premium last night.

Needed to reinstall anyway so I thought I'd give it a chance. So far so good, but I dont have Internet until next week so no point in using computer until then
  • Reply 103 of 116
    The article shows that Microsoft doesn't entice - they bludgeon, force, and coerce.

They have not had to compete based on the excellency of their product for years.
  • Reply 104 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Won't matter that much for awhile though, right? You'd need both a 64-bit OS and 64-bit applications to address/use any memory beyond 4GB? Or am I mistaken?

Oh, and welcome to the AI forums. Relatively nice place, all things considered. 8)

Oh. Yeah. you are right. we still would need a 64-bit OS but may not be 64-bit apps.

Thanks. I have been reading AI forums from quite sometimes, just that I took too much time to post. You guys rock BTW.

EDIT: I am Sorry. Didnt notice shamino's response. Please discard this post.
  • Reply 105 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Won't matter that much for awhile though, right? You'd need both a 64-bit OS and 64-bit applications to address/use any memory beyond 4GB? Or am I mistaken?

Oh, and welcome to the AI forums. Relatively nice place, all things considered. 8)

Oh. Yeah. you are right. we still would need a 64-bit OS but 64-bit apps may not be a must.

Thanks. I have been reading AI forums from quite sometimes, just that I took too much time to post. You guys rock BTW.

EDIT: I am Sorry. Didnt notice shamino's response. Please discard this post. And i accidentally repeated my post (using the forum for the first time. )
  • Reply 106 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

It's a 32-bit limitation, not a chipset limitation.

Its both. Though the processors supported 64bit, the memory controllers in chipsets older than 965 were not capable of supporting beyond 4GB.
  • Reply 107 of 116
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    I see on the net that they have found a hole in Vista after just one day. That has got to be a record even for Microsoft!
  • Reply 108 of 116
    I heard a rumour that Mac 10.5 will actually be able to run PC applications natively on the Mac without having to install a Windows OS much like Rosetta runs PPC apps on the Intel-Mac's. Is this true?

If so... why or oh would anyone buy a PC ever again.
  • Reply 109 of 116
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BEatMaKeR View Post

I heard a rumour that Mac 10.5 will actually be able to run PC applications natively on the Mac without having to install a Windows OS much like Rosetta runs PPC apps on the Intel-Mac's. Is this true?

Not in any way true.

If you want to run Windows apps, you need to buy Windows. You can either boot your Mac into Windows (using BootCamp), or you can run it under Mac OS X using a virtualization environment like Parallels or VMWare.

There are some people who would like Mac OS X to directly run Windows apps, but that's all there is. Some people who want the feature. Apple has said nothing, there have been no leaks from developers with pre-release copies, and there are no reliable rumors.
  • Reply 110 of 116
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    $7 billion in development, they didn't think of this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6320865.stm
  • Reply 111 of 116
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    I think we may have tracked down the source of Microsoft's woes over the past couple of years... its obvious from this photo that their CEO, is, in fact, the Missing Link:

On the plus side, he is very good at throwing chairs and eating bananas.
  • Reply 112 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Windows Vista Ultimate = $400 + Security software = Priceless.

Mac OS X (Ultimate) = $129

Will all Windows Vista Features work on my 3 year old machine = Most likely not.

Will all Mac OS X Features work on my 3 year old machine = Yes.

Will I have all the drivers I need to run Windows Vista comfortably = No.

Will I have all the drivers I need to run Mac OS X comfortably = What drivers? :P

Will Windows Vista's Features make OS X look dated = No.

Will Mac OS X.5 Leopard's Features make Windows Vista look dated = Most likely yes.

Will the new look of Windows Vista make it easiers to use then its predecessor = In practice the opposite is true.

Will the new look of OS X make it easiers to use then its predecessor = Most likely yes.

Will you switch back to Windows now = No.

Will you buy Leopard = Most likely yes.

Are you glad to be rid of Windows = Hell yes.

Are you glad to be a Mac user = Hell yes.

Was there a point to all this = Yes.

What was the point = Switch.

Funny? = Yes! Well done.
  • Reply 113 of 116
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

and don't bother trying to use both Spotlight and Dashboard unless you use the absolute maximum of RAM.

Funny, Im able to use both Dashboard and Spotlight on both an iBook G3 900MHz (512MB RAM) and a Power Mac G4 867Mhz (640MB RAM) without any problems. Granted, the ripple effect is not present, but both are from 2003.
  • Reply 114 of 116
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4fx View Post

Funny, Im able to use both Dashboard and Spotlight on both an iBook G3 900MHz (512MB RAM) and a Power Mac G4 867Mhz (640MB RAM) without any problems. Granted, the ripple effect is not present, but both are from 2003.

I have an iBook G3 with 700 MHz and 640 MBs of RAM. It shipped with 10.1.4. Tiger was certainly not optimized to be used on it.
  • Reply 115 of 116
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

I have an iBook G3 with 700 MHz and 640 MBs of RAM. It shipped with 10.1.4. Tiger was certainly not optimized to be used on it.

In my experience, the biggest bottleneck on those older systems is the amount of memory. Unfortuntely, none of the iBook G3s can be expanded enough to be comfortable with Tiger.

With 10.3, the minimum memory I would consider was 256M (Apple said 128M, but I strongly disagree.) I considered 512M to be sufficient for most tasks.

With 10.4, Dashboard and Spotlight significantly increased the memory footprint. With 10.4, I wouldn't use it with less than 512M, and I recommend 1GB.

Unfortunately, no iBook G3 supports more than 640M. So some things are going to be slower than they should be. But this is memory, not the G3 processor. I've found performance acceptable (not fast, but acceptable) on a PowerMac G3 with 1G of RAM. Ditto for those iMac/G3 models that can be upgraded to 1GB.

So yeah, I agree with you. Don't run 10.4 on an iBook/G3 unless you max out the RAM. And even then, don't use Dashboard (it doesn't load into memory until you activate it the first time after logging in.) Disabling Spotlight is much more of a PITA, but might also be a good idea on such a computer.

It's probably a good thing that (if the rumors are true) 10.5 won't install on G3 systems.
  • Reply 116 of 116
    julesjules Posts: 149member
    Yep, why anyone wants to go for Vista is beyond me. I work for a large company (over 100000 workers worldwide) and we're still on windows 2000. Is there any current need to update? When all vista is is a shiney new interface with basically still the same internals, probably not.