ph.d:

Midwinter

BRussell

Kickaha

pfflam (of course!)

ph.d. cand.

Amorya

hardeeharhar

segovius (if he ever decides to finish it)

Soulcrusher (starting in the fall)

j.d.

OBJRA10 (LL.M too?)

ShawnJ (to be)

Guybrush (starting in the fall)

Aquatic (starting in the fall?)

masters

Towel

+justin maybe? and probably others.
  • Reply 42 of 74
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

That's what mine is like. (I'm on first year PhD). They give you the facilities, equipment, participants and budget and let you choose your own path for how to spend your time. After all, once you're at PhD level, it would be a bit insulting to be told what to study or given assignments. I know I have three (now about 2.5 really) years to produce a 70,000 word thesis. It's up to me what to do when.

In my experience as a doctoral student and now having grad students of my own, I think a collaboration model works best. As a grad student, you get the benefit of professors' greater experience, both in a substantive way (how to do your work) and a more superficial way (being "seen" with them). I've seen a number of grad student flounder and end up nowhere because they just kind of did their own thing. It's also a great benefit to the professors, because they get people to work with who want to suck up to them.
  • Reply 43 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I've seen a number of grad student flounder and end up nowhere because they just kind of did their own thing. It's also a great benefit to the professors, because they get people to work with who want to suck up to them.

Why would you want to have a grad student "suck up" to you? You must be a professor of literature or... maybe doing string theory "physics".

You want grad students to do their own thing, to become your "colleagues" as soon as possible and to be able to challenge you in the subject matter. That's when your can do some great science!
  • Reply 44 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skatman View Post

Why would you want to have a grad student "suck up" to you? You must be a professor of literature or... maybe doing string theory "physics".

You want grad students to do their own thing, to become your "colleagues" as soon as possible and to be able to challenge you in the subject matter. That's when your can do some great science!

• Reply 45 of 74
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

I've seen a number of grad student flounder and end up nowhere because they just kind of did their own thing. It's also a great benefit to the professors, because they get people to work with who want to suck up to them.

When I passed my exams and became ABD, my dissertation director pulled me aside and said something like "This is the part that 60% of PhD students in our discipline don't finish." I always assumed that she said that because of the isolation of working on the diss.
  • Reply 46 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skatman View Post

Congrats.

Graduate school is a great experience.

Lot's of time to hone yourself... have great parties... work a lot and party a lot!

A word of advice... don't go for the school. Go for a professor and a research group you want to work with. That's all that matters as far as your work in grad school is concerned because most of the time you'll working with a tight group of people.

Are you interested in theoretical or experimental particle physics?

String theory or quantum field theory?

I will either do neutrino physics or dark matter searches. I will probably be part of an experimental group but I also like theory.
  • Reply 47 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by soulcrusher View Post

I will either do neutrino physics or dark matter searches. I will probably be part of an experimental group but I also like theory.

I just hope you don't find out that it's all a snipe hunt trick played on all of physics by Zwicky.
  • Reply 48 of 74
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    So how did you guys actually write those 300 page dissertations-- besides one page at a time... Just sit down and say "im going to write 15 pages today?"
  • Reply 49 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

When I passed my exams and became ABD, my dissertation director pulled me aside and said something like "This is the part that 60% of PhD students in our discipline don't finish." I always assumed that she said that because of the isolation of working on the diss.

I had a good experience with the dissertation, partially because my advisors didn't see it as some big test or learning experience and instead just saw it as an opportunity for a publication for me, and partially because the data actually weren't that bad unlike most of the other stuff I did in grad school. Most of our people who didn't make it dropped out before qualifying exams. Actually I can't think of anyone who didn't finish after passing exams in my field.
  • Reply 50 of 74
    Quote:

I had a good experience with the dissertation, partially because my advisors didn't see it as some big test or learning experience and instead just saw it as an opportunity for a publication for me, and partially because the data actually weren't that bad unlike most of the other stuff I did in grad school. Most of our people who didn't make it dropped out before qualifying exams. Actually I can't think of anyone who didn't finish after passing exams in my field.

Man. We had several in my class. Of course, our research methods class washed out about 10 people. Then about 10 more dropped over the course of study. But I know several people (various schools) who got to the diss and just couldn't finish. They either didn't work well in an unstructured environment (i.e. no syllabus telling them what to do) or they got jobs and just never finished.
  • Reply 51 of 74
    shawn... phd, of course...
  • Reply 52 of 74
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Noted!

Are you guys iced-in in Philly too?
  • Reply 53 of 74
    Oh yes... not as bad as elsewhere... I can still see the roofs of nearby buildings...
  • Reply 54 of 74
    I got into MIT.
  • Reply 55 of 74
    Quote:

I got into MIT.

That's great. Congrats.

Have you picked any profs at the schools you got into whose research interests you?
  • Reply 56 of 74
    As a matter of fact, yes.

The group that attracts me the most right now is:

http://hepwww.physics.yale.edu/nup/

But there are many others I've been looking into.
  • Reply 57 of 74
    Quote:

I got into MIT.

For English?

• Reply 58 of 74
    i do not get it.
  • Reply 59 of 74
    Quote:

i do not get it.

MIT for graduate school in English. Totally reasonable assumption to make!
  • Reply 60 of 74
    Update:

I got into Princeton and U. of Illinois.

I am happy.