What Vista element do you want to see on th Mac?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
There have plenty of people bad mouthing MS-Windows Vista, for whatever reason, and sometimes without even taking a look at it. I recently got to see the system in action and I must say it looks quite good. Sure there are things they could do better, but then again MacOS X wasn't much better when it first came out. There may be some copying of the Mac, but then again most OSs are copying off each other and improving on various elements, much like car manufacturers. I am still very much a Mac user, so I am not at the point of wanting to switch.

What I would like to know, from those of you who have actually spent time with the new operating system, is what features in Vista do you like to the point of wanting to see them on the Mac. If there is a third-party utility which allows the Mac to have feature x from Vista, then I think that is worth noting too.

Please keep this thread civilised. This is about the positive stuff, so please don't use it as your personal advocasy thread.

To start off, here are a few that I liked:

- The size indicators for the various mounted volumes

- The 3D task switcher (liked it, though maybe a distraction)

- The widgets on the side of the screen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I like the use of blurs in addition to transparency for menus.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    8 Versions of the same OS?
  • Reply 3 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo View Post

I like the use of blurs in addition to transparency for menus.

That's pretty much the only thing I liked. They also use it on the borders of various windows.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    256x256 icons. Woot.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    I used it recently and didn't see much difference from XP besides a theme change so the only thing I can say is I'd like the snappiness it and XP have. The search seemed to respond quicker than Spotlight but that could be due to it being on a new machine that doesn't have 250,000 files on it.

I don't really like the appearance of Vista at all. The shiny black color scheme is nice but the effects not so much IMO. I'd need to test it more to see but I didn't really see much beyond what I've mentioned. I thought I'd like Flip3D but it's not very useful given that it only shows a few windows at a time.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by turnwrite View Post

256x256 icons. Woot.

Leopard will support 512x512 icons.
  • Reply 7 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Endymion View Post

Leopard will support 512x512 icons.

So how much do you wanna bet Windows Vienna will have 1024x1024 icons...
  • Reply 8 of 55
    the DRM. send me the DRM post haste, jobs!!
  • Reply 9 of 55
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by turnwrite View Post

So how much do you wanna bet Windows Vienna will have 1024x1024 icons...

Or vectorized icons, which Leopard might have.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I would love to see Vista's gloriously confusing UI on the Mac. Man I think they got the UI arseways.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    I've heard that the widgets on Vista run in the background so that they're ready immediately. I think I would like the same to be the case on 10.5... Then again, there's probably a reason Vista has rediculus system requirements.

Oh, and I would also like to see Vistas affordable pricing. Oh wait - not!
  • Reply 12 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jApple View Post

I've heard that the widgets on Vista run in the background so that they're ready immediately. I think I would like the same to be the case on 10.5

Tiger is that way, but if you don't want it happen there is work arounds, like not launching dashboard.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Tiger is that way, but if you don't want it happen there is work arounds, like not launching dashboard.

Tiger is 10.4? Or 10.5? I get confused between the names

If 10.4, then my widgets for some reason seem to have like a 5sec or so delay. Just enough to be irritating.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jApple View Post

Tiger is 10.4? Or 10.5? I get confused between the names

If 10.4, then my widgets for some reason seem to have like a 5sec or so delay. Just enough to be irritating.

You need to empty your dashboard cache. Go here to see how.

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/maco...peed/index.php

• Reply 15 of 55
    You shouldn't really have any more than 10 widgets open either, for efficiency.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    Quote:

- The size indicators for the various mounted volumes

Well, i am not quite sure what you mean exactly. Though i've got

a hunch. Isn't that exact feature available on the Mac since 1991 (System 7)?
  • Reply 17 of 55
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Windows management - It is about time Apple do something about it
  • Reply 18 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Windows management - It is about time Apple do something about it

• Reply 19 of 55
    Appearence Themes, man. Just like in OS 8... Or at least the ability to change a colour or two other than "Blue" and "Graphite"... Seriously, that's just ridiculous...
  • Reply 20 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whyatt Thrash View Post

Appearence Themes, man. Just like in OS 8... Or at least the ability to change a colour or two other than "Blue" and "Graphite"... Seriously, that's just ridiculous...

I know! Gizmo sucked, but HiTech and DrawingBoard were AWESOME.

Compared to OS9, OSX is a HUGE step backward so far as appearance customization. Apple really needs to give us at least SOME options...