What Vista element do you want to see on th Mac?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    Quote:

It's just annoying. There should be a way to click on a button and remove a program. I shouldn't have to manually delete all its components.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear View Post

.....Sure, some settings files are left but they will do you or your Mac no harm wahtsoever, I just don't see why you're upset with that?? Just ignore them!

That's because he's an anal retentive obsessive-compulsive. I should know, I'm one too.

8)
  • Reply 42 of 55
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member

Hey, I looked for something like this a long time ago and couldn't find anything. Then I tried looking for a dock stock app and couldn't find anything. That's when I posted here and you posted this. Thanks a lot. It's originally what I was looking for.

Now all I need is a OSX version of taskmenubar.

- Mark
  • Reply 43 of 55
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    As to the issue of needing an add/remove facility, I think the main problem here are developers who just can't keep their files together. Some applications litter the system with various files, when they could easily be kept together. Since most applications can be installed with a drag and drop, the ones that need a full blown installer just seem seriously dated.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,032member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

Drivers and support for a lot of hardware.

What is not supported?
  • Reply 45 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

What is not supported?

non apple hardware

geforce 8800

amd chip sets

nvidia chip sets
  • Reply 46 of 55
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

That's because he's an anal retentive obsessive-compulsive. I should know, I'm one too.

8)

I'm kindof the computer geek in my circle, and I can't count the number of times I've had to reinstall a friend's computer because they tried to delete a program by dragging its folder from the Programs folder to the trash. It's just the intuitive way of doing things, given that that's how you delete everything else on the computer. Why should it be different for Apps?? Non-computer savvy people make this mistake ALL THE TIME. The Add/Remove Program necessity is a major failing of Windows usability in my experience.

(Not to mention the fact that deleting a shortcut from the desktop gives you a warning about how the program is not deleted, obviously, but they couldn't think to give a warning when something is deleted from the Programs folder about how that is not the proper way to delete programs??)
  • Reply 47 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

Hey, I looked for something like this a long time ago and couldn't find anything. Then I tried looking for a dock stock app and couldn't find anything. That's when I posted here and you posted this. Thanks a lot. It's originally what I was looking for.

Now all I need is a OSX version of taskmenubar.

- Mark

Is task menu bar the thing where you click and it has all the programs that are currently running in a menu? Because I found something like this for my brother a few years back, so you should be able to find it on Version Tracker... I don't remember what it was called, unfortunately but you just add it to the Contextual Menu Items folder, and whenever you right click at the bottom of all the other menu's you've got the task menu bar contents..
  • Reply 48 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

I'm kindof the computer geek in my circle, and I can't count the number of times I've had to reinstall a friend's computer because they tried to delete a program by dragging its folder from the Programs folder to the trash.

Oh man, don't get me started, I once had to reinstall a pc cause the ownder decided she would clean up the thing and started to scan across her harddisk and throw away every file/folder she didn't know
  • Reply 49 of 55
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Oh man, don't get me started, I once had to reinstall a pc cause the ownder decided she would clean up the thing and started to scan across her harddisk and throw away every file/folder she didn't know

There's nothing scarier than an "orderly" person who wants to "tidy up" their computer and knows nothing about the file structure. I have a friend that does this all the time, because she is so frickin' neat, she just can't stand loose ends.

The worst part is when I'm trying to diagnose what's happening on the phone, and she denies having changed anything, ever. After 20 minutes we finally get to the "oh, yeah, I got rid of the extra one of those". Sometimes she's tossing stuff while I'm trying to help her. I have to beg her to just stop and only do what I say. Completely crazy making.

This concludes my brief rant. Carry on.
  • Reply 50 of 55
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    I want a Microsoft Logo on every Menu, and a sticker for every stick of hardware in my Mac

Sebastian
  • Reply 51 of 55
    Quote:

Yep, I had that one once too.....
  • Reply 52 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

I want a Microsoft Logo on every Menu, and a sticker for every stick of hardware in my Mac

Sebastian

I have a "Designed for Microsoft Windows 98" foil sticker that fits just perfectly on the top of my favorite hammer....
  • Reply 53 of 55
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

Is task menu bar the thing where you click and it has all the programs that are currently running in a menu? Because I found something like this for my brother a few years back, so you should be able to find it on Version Tracker... I don't remember what it was called, unfortunately but you just add it to the Contextual Menu Items folder, and whenever you right click at the bottom of all the other menu's you've got the task menu bar contents..

Unfortunately no. But I appreciate the fact that you tried to help.

Taskmenubar (site: http://pweb.netcom.com/~kawahara/taskmenubar.html) was a classic app that put an icon of an opened app in the menubar. What I liked about it was that if you clicked an icon in the menubar once, you'd get that app (like how the dock works when you click on an open app icon in it). If you clicked an icon in the menubar twice, you'd get that app AND hide all others (the dock doesn't do this). It also highlighted the app you were in so it made it easier to see which app your in vs looking for those tiny triangles on the dock. All in all, it was the best and easiest way ever (in my opinion) to manage open apps with just one hand and a click or two of your mouse.

If you check out the link above, you can get an idea of how it worked. Note that you can also put folders in the menubar as well as set the spacing between the icons.

I've emailed the guy several times to write an OS X version but he doesn't want to.

Mark
  • Reply 54 of 55
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

I have a "Designed for Microsoft Windows 98" foil sticker that fits just perfectly on the top of my favorite hammer....

First it was the Blue Screen of Death

Today I present you with the: HAMMER OF DOOM!

Sebastian
  • Reply 55 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

Unfortunately no. But I appreciate the fact that you tried to help.

Taskmenubar (site: http://pweb.netcom.com/~kawahara/taskmenubar.html) was a classic app that put an icon of an opened app in the menubar. What I liked about it was that if you clicked an icon in the menubar once, you'd get that app (like how the dock works when you click on an open app icon in it). If you clicked an icon in the menubar twice, you'd get that app AND hide all others (the dock doesn't do this). It also highlighted the app you were in so it made it easier to see which app your in vs looking for those tiny triangles on the dock. All in all, it was the best and easiest way ever (in my opinion) to manage open apps with just one hand and a click or two of your mouse.

If you check out the link above, you can get an idea of how it worked. Note that you can also put folders in the menubar as well as set the spacing between the icons.

I've emailed the guy several times to write an OS X version but he doesn't want to.

Mark

Hmmm... Seems like its been replaced by a combination of the first menu item right of the Apple and the dock. I guess short of a dock-based third-party replacement for the taskbar, your best bet would be to learn the cmd-option-h shortcut. And cmd-tab-h and so on...