Newbey needs help down grading from tiger to os9

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi all thanks for looking

I need help with a mac issue ...i have a 500mhz indigo mac that has been upgraded to Tiger ...now i need it to run OS 9.2.1 and i cannot get it to boot from any install disks only from osx ...is thre a way ?

Thanks

Jay

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    If you're really a drunken bum, will you listen to anyone's advice, or will you simply run off in a drunken rage?
  • Reply 2 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

If you're really a drunken bum, will you listen to anyone's advice, or will you simply fly off in a drunken rage?

..Dude no ..i realy am stuck here ..i have tryed everything to no avail i will listen and understand .and give you all the upmost respect
  • Reply 3 of 43
    The main problem is that when i hold down the C key ...the macene will not boot from the install cd it just starts in tiger ...so i copied the sytem folder from the install cd ...changed start up disk ...and that dont work just starts in tiger ...treyed instaling think 10.1 and tryed all the above ...still dont work ...man this has blown my brain ...why calt i just start again with the stuff the mac was shipped with?
  • Reply 4 of 43
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Why do you need that? Are you running a program that can't be emulated in Classic (or is too slow)?
  • Reply 5 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirc View Post

Why do you need that? Are you running a program that can't be emulated in Classic (or is too slow)?

thanks for rthe reply

Network isues ...i use a mult licansce filemaker pro 5 .5 dateabase ...it utalises F keys as links to files ...when runing in clasic its ...its ...its ..its just not right ...i realey need os9 and i just got 3 secondhand indigos and they have all come installed with tiger ...and a realy need 9 ...I am typing this now on a macbook so i now the difrance ...my network and business needs 9
  • Reply 6 of 43
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    DRUNKENBUM, I don't mean to insult you, but if you were more careful when writing, perhaps more people would read about your problem. It really hurts to follow the sequence of your words.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DRUNKENBUM View Post

The main problem is that when i hold down the C key

You can try this: insert the (OS 9) system CD in your computer and then from System Preferences choose as startup disk the CD. Then try to restart. It should work.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

I don't mean to insult you, but if you were more careful when writing, perhaps more people would read your problem. It really hurts to follow the sequence of your words.

Sorry dude no offence taken ..i strugle abit with English ..well the wrighting of it anyway ..even though i am a yorkshireman from breed..and kreed
  • Reply 9 of 43
    Quote:

You can try this: insert the (OS 9) system CD in your computer and then from System Preferences choose as startup disk the CD. Then try to restart. It should work.

No doesent work just shows a folder with .....?......then i have to boot from an osx cd and reinstall the lot
  • Reply 10 of 43
    Thanks for your replies ......bit mor info ...ANY OSX disk put in the slot hold down C boots no problem ANY PREOSX cd in slot hold down C still boots up in OSX ...so i am stuck
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Call MarkUK. Immediately.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Quote:

No doesent work just shows a folder with .....?......then i have to boot from an osx cd and reinstall the lot

This is strange. Are you sure the OS 9 CD is a system CD capable to boot the machine? If yes, then it could even be a hardware problem.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    Quote:

This is strange. Are you sure the OS 9 CD is a system CD capable to boot the machine? If yes, then it could even be a hardware problem.

Defo ...i have the og sytem disks ...and its same on all 3 machenes let me explane the tools avalable

MACBOOK RUNING TIGER

INDIGO RUNNING 9.2.1

3 UPGRADEDED INDIGOS RUNNING TIGER

OG SYTEM DISK FOR THE INDIGO'S

OG APPLE OS9.2.1.

OG 10.3DISK

OG TIGER DISKS

OG PANTHER DISKS

NORTON DISK OS9

Put any pre osx disk in any of the 3 machens boot holding down C ...just starts up in X ....Do same with any osx disk boots from that disk no problem ??????
  • Reply 14 of 43
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    Try this it may work

insert the OS 9 CD have it mounted

Restart with CD still in the drive whilst holding doen the Option key this will force boot the open firmware and you then should see the HD with OS X and the CD of OS 9 wait until it finishes and click on the OS 9 CD and it should boot from it and do a clean install of OS 9 and run the software update from OS 9

This has worked for me many times.

If you need in more help lets know.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au View Post

Try this it may work

insert the OS 9 CD have it mounted

Restart with CD still in the drive whilst holding doen the Option key this will force boot the open firmware and you then should see the HD with OS X and the CD of OS 9 wait until it finishes and click on the OS 9 CD and it should boot from it and do a clean install of OS 9 and run the software update from OS 9

This has worked for me many times.

If you need in more help lets know.

Thanks i havent tryed that .that is a cool bit of advise i will try it in the morning cos its all blown my brains now and i am of to bed i will let you know
  • Reply 16 of 43
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:

Thanks i havent tryed that .that is a cool bit of advise i will try it in the morning cos its all blown my brains now and i am of to bed i will let you know

You're posts imply that you have classic running on the indigos. If so just select that system folder from the Startup Disk preference pane and go. If not, install the classic environment from the OS X install disks and then use Startup Disk to select that system folder as the startup disk and reboot. Should boot right into OS 9.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Mac OS X really is just a reworked NeXTstep, so that may be the problem.

Sebastian
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Mac OS X really is just a reworked NeXTstep, so that may be the problem.

Sebastian

Not sure if I understand what you say here.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Isn't OS 9 already installed?
  • Reply 20 of 43
    Right this is turning into a nightmare ...i have put in the os9 boot disk ..then held down option on start up and it dont see the disk imige ....but see's the hard drive ..i then did the same with an osx disk ..and it saw that no problem ...so i took out hard drive out of a macine that i know works and is runing os 9 ..that dont work it just calnt find the system folder ?????.. is it cos the firmwhare of the imac has been updateted thas causing the problem ???