iPhone primed to trump rivals in audience appeal

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Seeing how TextEdit and Safari can already read .DOC and .PDF files, respectively, I really don 't see how this won't be included.

Plus, I've been using Google Docs more and more lately as it contains only the simple features that I, and I assume most people, need to create .DOC files. With Google and Apple collaborating, I wonder if they are working on something--like the Google Maps that was demoed at MacWorld-- to create a simple and free editor/viewer for the iPhone.

Totally agree. In fact you have to wonder if Google / Apple are working closer than we all know and the new on-line apps from Google are part of the iPhone (and maybe new Mac tablet?) strategy. That joke about 'AppleGoo' at the show may have been a deeper than we all thought!
  • Reply 42 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaioslider View Post

Not enough hype or too much hype? I'm starting to believe the former, or maybe the market is just starting to realize how big the iPhone treat is, so maybe it's just right amount of hype. I recently read that AT&T anticipates that the iPhone will bring with it a sharp increase in new customers. Of course the inverse of that is a sharp decrease in competitor user base. One of those is Verizon, as a current Verizon customer who is frustrated with Verizon's standard practice of crippling their phones to force you to use their extra services plus use up your minutes, well, I'm looking forward to it. I expect there will be an initial surge, then a slow down. It all really depends on how the pricing with service plans workout. While Apple is certainly going to try and maximize profits from the gotta-have-it-early-adoptors, the other factor that may have been considers in the pricing is supply and demand. Clearly the more users Apple can get onboard as early as possible will help establish it's base, the more people see it, touch it, the cascading effect well bring in new users, lower prices would do that, but maybe too much too fast vastly outstripping supply, which would lead to Apple losing its control on pricing. So the higher price will both maximize profits and at as a supply control. The production of a product has a limit, you can produce this many and no more, pricing of a unit can be adjusted. So if supply exceeds demand, for instance, AT&T (and Apple), can quick adjust the price of the unit, say with a two year contract, to balance supply and demand, in a controlled manner. The opposite, too low a price, channels empty, prices increase, and the market controls the iPhone. While initially this might be seen as desirable, you may lose potential hold outs as they consider the coveted device unobtainable. The article makes a very good point about the iPod factor of the iPhone, it's a major variable given the install base. I think that if Apple only did an iPod with a cell phone feature, that along would have seen huge demand (at a lower price of course), but they didn't, they made it an almost everything device. Add GPS done with google maps down the road, well, it would be the everything device, minus the kitchen sink (could do a widget for that I suppose

I have gone most of the last two years without a cellphone because I hated the options from manufactures and carriers. The phone I have been using is the cheapest one I could fine from the cheapest, no-contract carrier I could fine.

When the iPhone becomes available, I will be first in line to get one, despite my previous reservation of going back to Cingular. The iPhone is finally a phone/smartphone that is catering to my needs. In other words, I'm going to switch to AT&T and I'm going to actually invest in a smartphone for the first time, and I know I'm going to love it.

I don't think the iPhone is overpriced. It may not have some things that other high-end smartphones have; things that many Americans want and that few Americans can actually utilize. I believe that Apple will maintain it's typical profit margin on the phone and I'm expecting a $50-$100 price decrease before it's available due to a reduction to part cost; though I'm sure the pundits will claim it's from "public outcry over an overpriced phone that does less that other smartphones."

The best thing the iPhone wil do is make the manufactures and carriers step up their game. I expect Verizon to stop limiting features and to start working with manufactures to increase usability, not limit it. I expect Visual Voicemail to become common place within 18 months; lawsuits from Apple to follow, despite this being a current voicemail feature with Skype.

PS: Welcome to AI, but please-o-please try using paragraghs in your next post.
  • Reply 43 of 62
    As one of those Palm / Mac users the article menetions, I would say I'll be definitely waiting until Apple feels secure enough to allow for the good existing software that many PDA users absolutely need in their smartphone.

These aren't calendar apps ! I have a pharmacist friend who relies on her Palm running pham-database software. Myself; the Pleco Chinese dictionary made for Palm (and now Windoze Mobile).

I welcome Apple to be picky when choosing what software makes it into the iPhone, but that doesn't preclude releasing developer tools that makes iPhone collaboration easier for all parties concern. Please, please, please ! Create an iPhone set of standards, perhaps a custom made developer tool (at least for widgets at the very start ala dashcode), to at least provide a glimmer of hope for those of us who need certain functionality in our pricey handheld computer-phone-lifesupportdevice.
  • Reply 44 of 62
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    I dont know how important it is in the states but ill tell you one thing.

If Apple leave out features such as video recording i cant see the iphone beign very popular in Europe
  • Reply 45 of 62
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

I don't think the iPhone is overpriced. It may not have some things that other high-end smartphones have; things that many Americans want and that few Americans can actually utilize.

I agree, it is not over-priced. However it is not a "smartphone." Apple is quite emphatic that it not be classified as such. And rightfully so.
  • Reply 46 of 62
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I agree, it is not over-priced. However it is not a "smartphone." Apple is quite emphatic that it not be classified as such. And rightfully so.

Absolutely right, it's a new category ... a "genius phone" ...

Either that or they rename other phones "dumb and dumber phones"
  • Reply 47 of 62
    isjampisjamp Posts: 5member
    Hello,

does anyone know if the iPhone will have an internal protected clock (or clock that automatically adjusts to the atomic clock)?

Does anyone know if an iPhone/Cingular customer could access music through other providers (such as Rhapsody, or Yahoo etc.) or only though iTunes?
  • Reply 48 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isjamp View Post

Hello,

does anyone know if the iPhone will have an internal protected clock (or clock that automatically adjusts to the atomic clock)?

Does anyone know if an iPhone/Cingular customer could access music through other providers (such as Rhapsody, or Yahoo etc.) or only though iTunes?

Just my initial thoughts...

1) The iPhone should auto-sync its time via iTunes, which it had via the system clock of the computer OR it will auto-sync via Cingular's wireless network.

2) Probraly only if you can downlaod an Mp3 or AAC version via Safari for iPhone and then import into iTunes. I'm guessing that the DLing from Safari isn't a big deal, but the importing into the iPhone's iTunes from the iPhone's storage may require a hack.
  • Reply 49 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isjamp View Post

Hello,

Probably.

Quote:

Only if it's DRM-free.
  • Reply 50 of 62
    Quote:

Apple created the term PC for marketing and then later become the anti-PC for marketing reasons. Apple's former CEO, Scully, coined the term PDA and now Apple has a smartphone that is being marketed as neither a PDA or smartphone, despite it being both a "personal data assistant" and is the first phone that is actually 'smart'. I am not going to let some marketing campaign dictate how I refer to my electronics.*

* That is until the term, or lack thereof, becomes widespread enough to becme commonplace and I am forced into submission by the masses.
  • Reply 51 of 62
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Clearly the iPhone is going to be very divisive in its first year of release. But Apple,Inc. is very capable of adjusting to market needs, in their own way. They have their unit sales and profit margin, profit targets. The iPhone won't be for everyone, and some people will love it, some people will be hella pissed off. Unlike the nascent mp3 player market that the iPod launched into, the mobile phone/ smartphone/ walkman-phone/ 2g/ 3g/ 4g phone market is very mature, though plenty of space for growth and innovation and a lot of space for tweaking to cater to specific market segments.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by isjamp

Hello, does anyone know if the iPhone will have an internal protected clock (or clock that automatically adjusts to the atomic clock)?

Very interesting. Internet time syncing, I'd say 50% chance it will be there in the rev A. model, otherwise, may be added within 1 year's time (rev B. or rev. C). One may not need Internet for time syncing, that's possible now globally through the carrier GSM signal features -- it will sync the clock through the carrier GSM signal. And time zone, etc, adjusted automatically when you roam to different countries. Mobile phones today are incredibly complex beasts. That's why I hate Nokia and Moto nowadays. My SonyEricsson T630, then now v600i, is fracking a piece of art and hella smooth and fun and easy to use. After Betamax, MiniDisc, Atrac, they got something right. Their LCD stuff is good though. Batteries, bad run, laptops... nice.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by isjamp

Clearly ringtones, or full music downloads will be primarily iTunes Store driven. Or iTunes Store for Cingular/AT&T customers. In the US it will mainly be ringtone downloads and song short clips/ previews that you might "preview" and "mark" for full purchase when syncing at your broadband-enabled computer. The iPhone US with only 2.xG means full song downloads will take too long.

<rambling>I just checked and found out that Japan has 130million people and is clearly a great market for Apple to play in. It's like 1/3 the US market! But Apple Japan has its work cut out for it.
  • Reply 52 of 62
    Quote:

Mac'rs on the other have a loyalty that is paramount to paranoia

I think you mean:

'tantamount to paranoia'!

• Reply 53 of 62
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post

I think you mean:

Thank you
  • Reply 54 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post

I think you mean:

"Paramount to tantanoia" sounds better to me.
  • Reply 55 of 62
    Quote:

"Paramount to tantanoia" sounds better to me.

But is it really though? http://dictionary.com/
  • Reply 56 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EruIthildur View Post

But is it really though? http://dictionary.com/

I made up 'tantanoia' so posting a link to dictionary.com is not necessary.
  • Reply 57 of 62
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

Fanboys and customers are two different things. Sure Nokia and the like have customers in the hundreds of millions, but most will stay with their current product and/or provider out of habit and convenience. The second group will switch on price, ease of switching and how well they can be convinced to do so. The third group are the technofiles and the must-have-the-newest-technology crowd and will gravitate to what they believe is the most advanced no matter who makes it.

Mac'rs on the other have a loyalty that is paramount to paranoia and consider it treasonis if one switched. A lot of us will buy everything as soon as Apple releases it. More wish they could. Most can't wait for the 'next' thing. I doubt that Nokia has such a following that they will disregard the competitor no matter how much better their product may appear to be as us Mac'rs will.

As the article stated, "No current phone designer has the same kind of devoted fan base." It doesn't say that it is smaller than Apples.

The entire premise is a bit silly. It's like an outsider looking in, going, "Gee, those Mac users sure are fanatical. Betcha all of 'em are gonna switch to the iPhone the second it comes out just 'cuz Steve Jobs sez so, yesiree Bob."

Let's be real here. Apple fans love their Macs and iPods, but they are also among the most critical and picky tech buyers out there. We're not going to all suddenly buy iPhones come June as a monolithic bloc. And compared to the entire worldwide cellphone market, we are just a small drop in the bucket... 22 million vs over 1 billion.

We'll be helpful as early adopters, but long-term, Steve's gonna have to impress far more than just us. \

• Reply 58 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

The entire premise is a bit silly. It's like an outsider looking in, going, "Gee, those Mac users sure are fanatical. Betcha all of 'em are gonna switch to the iPhone the second it comes out just 'cuz Steve Jobs sez so, yesiree Bob."

Let's be real here. Apple fans love their Macs and iPods, but they are also among the most critical and picky tech buyers out there. We're not going to all suddenly buy iPhones come June as a monolithic bloc. And compared to the entire worldwide cellphone market, we are just a small drop in the bucket... 22 million vs over 1 billion.

We'll be helpful as early adopters, but long-term, Steve's gonna have to impress far more than just us. \

Actually there are two types of Apple fans. The two stages of Obsession.

Stage1 is ZOMFG I LOVVVVE APPLE I'M GONNA BUY EVERYSINGLE THING1!!11!!

Stage 2 is ZOMFG I AM BROKE !!! ARGHGHGH WTF

That's when we become the "among the most critical and picky tech buyers out there... not going to all suddenly buy iPhones come June as a monolithic bloc..."

I'm sure people here will recognise whether they are at Stage 0.5, 1, 1.5 or 2. 8)

Hint: Check your credit card balance, that's a good indicator...
  • Reply 59 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Certainly, excellent point. That's where the growth in revenues and hence profits is going to come from. Leverage the *brand* more so than the *current fan base*. The *brand* has a wider reach because there are tons of people out there that are like, huh, okay, there's this Apple thing. Ready to jump on board, just need a bit of a shove.
  • Reply 60 of 62
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Actually there are two types of Apple fans. The two stages of Obsession.

Stage1 is ZOMFG I LOVVVVE APPLE I'M GONNA BUY EVERYSINGLE THING1!!11!!

Stage 2 is ZOMFG I AM BROKE !!! ARGHGHGH WTF

That's when we become the "among the most critical and picky tech buyers out there... not going to all suddenly buy iPhones come June as a monolithic bloc..."

I'm sure people here will recognise whether they are at Stage 0.5, 1, 1.5 or 2. 8)

Hint: Check your credit card balance, that's a good indicator...

LOL, nice.

Seriously though, I could buy an iPhone, but I don't want one... yet. Because I don't like the no 3G, and I definitely don't like Cingular. And, even though I can afford it, I don't much like the price either. Three strikes, yer out.

So I'm not getting iPhone 1.0. And I am a HUGE Mac and iPod fan. \

I'll check back on iPhone with a buyer's eye once some of my 'three strikes' have been fixed.