Apple ready to flick switch on Apple TV revolution

1789101113»

Comments

• Reply 241 of 259
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

But one thing is certain there are millions upon millions of DivX files being traded over P2P, torrents, IRC, newsgroups, Rapidshare etc etc. Every single film, tv show, documentary aired on US television is available on the Internet and it is available in XviD.

I would also use that fact to show that DivX has not yet reached a critical mass. If everything offered on television is free on the internet, but the content owners do little about it, means most people are legally purchasing the content.

If film and television studios felt P2P severely affected their profits they would go after Bit Torrent and DivX as aggressively as the music industry has.
  • Reply 242 of 259
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sjk View Post

I see several reasons why Apple has chosen (for now) to limit the video formats aTV supports, including not wanting to be perceived as catering to piracy as you mentioned earlier. They want to focus on H.264, especially with it already being the primary video iPod format.

An idea just occured to me. Could AppleTV be popular enough that we start seeing a change from DivX/XviD/3viD to H.264 on torrent sites? Despite the former being, by far, the majority of video content, there is still plenty of the latter purposely encoded to play in one's iPod Video.

I would much rather download* H.264, but they are almost always mastered for the iPod's lowered resolution requirements. I think this will change.

* None of my torrent begotten video have infringed on anyone's rights. Honest!
  • Reply 243 of 259
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Could AppleTV be popular enough that we start seeing a change from DivX/XviD/3viD to H.264 on torrent sites?

Maybe more H.264 in addition to DivX/XviD/3viD?

Quote:

Despite the former being, by far, the majority of video content, there is still plenty of the latter purposely encoded to play in one's iPod Video.

And no shortage of video conversion tools intended for the latter.

Quote:

I would much rather download* H.264, but they are almost always mastered for the iPod's lowered resolution requirements. I think this will change.

Related to your original question, what effect has that content had on the dominance of other formats? I've noticed a fair number of Mac-centric video podcasts are H.264, some higher resolution than the iPod requires.

Obviously aTV owners, like video iPod owners, need compatible content. Even though iTS won't be the only direct distributor the iTunes dependency will make it convenient, whether free or purchased.

Quote:

* None of my torrent begotten video have infringed on anyone's rights. Honest!

Same here, and it's only a miniscule percentage of my entire video collection.
  • Reply 244 of 259
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Same here, and it's only a miniscule percentage of my entire video collection.

You guys keep believing that.
  • Reply 245 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You guys keep believing that.

Huh? Are you implying we're lying?
  • Reply 246 of 259
    Quote:

A bit of self deception to think to think that most of Bit Torrents files are not infringing.
  • Reply 247 of 259
    Quote:

Actually, sjk, I was lying. I thought my use of the word 'Honest!' at the end of my statement would reflect my facetiousness. My apologies for the current direction of this thread.
  • Reply 248 of 259
    Quote:

A bit of self deception to think to think that most of Bit Torrents files are not infringing.

He didn't say that most bit torrent files are not infringing, just that he isn't infringing.
  • Reply 249 of 259
    Quote:

He didn't say that most bit torrent files are not infringing, just that he isn't infringing.

Yes, I know. My response was that if one is downloading files from bit torrents, one can assume most of them to be infringing.

Unless he is only uploading files, and that the one's he's uploading are known to not be infringing. By that, I mean that their owners would not consider them to be infringing i.e. -they are out of copyright, or were never in.
  • Reply 250 of 259
    Quote:

Yes, I know. My response was that if one is downloading files from bit torrents, one can assume most of them to be infringing.

Unless he is only uploading files, and that the one's he's uploading are known to not be infringing. By that, I mean that their owners would not consider them to be infringing i.e. -they are out of copyright, or were never in.

Torrents are a great place to get the current Linux builds*. Also--and surely isn't absolute--many torrent files for software don't include the serial number, which is the part that makes it illegal. ...or so I've read.

* I'm a tech head so I like to be kept abreast of this stuff but Linux sucks so much balls as a desktop. Even the strides taken with Ubuntu, which in my opinion has tried to copy the OS X model of "it just works", is still a decade away at the current rate of progress from being a valid, free choice for the majority.
  • Reply 251 of 259
    Quote:

Torrents are a great place to get the current Linux builds*. Also, and surely isn't absolute, many torrent files for software don't include the serial number, which is the part that makes it illegal. ...or so I've read.

* I'm a tech head so I like to be kept abreast of this stuff but Linux sucks so much balls as a desktop. Even the strides taken with Ubuntu, which in my opinion has tried to copy the OS X model of "it just works", is still a decade away at the current rate of progress from being a valid, free choice for the majority.

Sure, you can download Linux, and other legit material from torrents, but what is the percentage of that? Very small.

The same thing can be said of newsgrouos. Much software is there, as is music, videos, Tv shows, movies, etc. Most of it is also illegal. "Cracks" can be found. That's why much of the software available doesn't need the serial number.
  • Reply 252 of 259
    Quote:

Actually, sjk, I was lying. I thought my use of the word 'Honest!' at the end of my statement would reflect my facetiousness.

I debated whether to interpret it like that but decided to play it safe since there was no smilie.

Quote:

My apologies for the current direction of this thread.

Fine with me but for everyone else's sake I don't intend to continue on that course after this post.

Quote:

Exactly.

Quote:

Your response to my misinterpretation of solipsism's facetiousness came across more like an accusation of self deception on my part about infringement for the few torrent downloads I've done, which is an utterly false claim.

Quote:

Another presumptuous statement if that "he" is me.

My mistake for responding to solipsism's footnote, causing an unwanted distraction about the legitimacy of torrents instead of a bit more discussion about possible alternatives to iTS people foresee for aTV content.
  • Reply 253 of 259
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    The only thing I have downloaded using BitTorrent was a couple of episodes of "Vanished" after it got canceled, and the only way to legally watch it was in Internet Explorer on a PC. It serves them right for making me "bend the rules" a little bit.
  • Reply 254 of 259
    Quote:

My mistake for responding to solipsism's footnote, causing an unwanted distraction about the legitimacy of torrents instead of a bit more discussion about possible alternatives to iTS people foresee for aTV content.

I have no interest in going further with it.

I'll take you at your word.
  • Reply 255 of 259
    I'm just wondering how smart this device will be.

I plan on using this to replace MTV/VH1. So I have a bunch of music videos. For starters, I'd like to be able to have a weighted shuffle, so the videos I like most play the most. Secondly, some of the videos are 4:3, some 16:9....so I hope this device is smart enough to just show the 16:9 ones normally, and 4:3 ones stretched.
  • Reply 256 of 259
    Any guesses if Apple TV will ship this week? I hope!
  • Reply 257 of 259
    I just posted this on "digital Living room" thread. Should be interesting here as well.

Quote:

I just came across this article at MacDaily news. It's interesting. we may be seeing something soon, I hope.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...port-mode/9658

This one as well:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/a...-tv-245101.php

• Reply 258 of 259
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gkorsgard View Post

Any guesses if Apple TV will ship this week? I hope!

very likely, on macrumors people have posted they no longer can cancel their pre-orders which means they are ready to ship.

i however fully expect to be able to hit the local apple store this week (tuesday) and pick one up before these pre-order double delayed poor fools get theirs from the shipper. heheh.
  • Reply 259 of 259
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    The Apple Store now says "Ships: 3-5 business days"