Considering the switch to a MAC

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Good Afternoon. I am considering making the switch to a MAC from windows for personal use, my company is windows based and well, that aint changing anytime soon. The only real problem I have is the $ vs. a pc.



anyone?



Thanks.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 25
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Go for it. Also, if you really compare specs to specs you'll see that the Mac is actually similarly priced or sometimes cheapter. You have to factor in all the software that Apple provides for free, too.



    Also, you'll get along better around here if you drop using MAC. There is no acronym. It's simply Mac (for Macintosh).
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post


    Go for it. Also, if you really compare specs to specs you'll see that the Mac is actually similarly priced or sometimes cheapter. You have to factor in all the software that Apple provides for free, too.



    Also, you'll get along better around here if you drop using MAC. There is no acronym. It's simply Mac (for Macintosh).



    Noted and thanks.

    B
  • Reply 3 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,521member
    Are you looking for a laptop or a desktop? What's your budget?
  • Reply 4 of 25
    laptop, budget is open at the moment.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbbfour View Post


    laptop, budget is open at the moment.



    Do you know what you'd be using it for? If you're want a desktop replacement I'd go with the Macbook Pro, or if you're going to be doing a lot of video editing, and if you want a bigger screen. I'd go with the Macbook for anything less intense.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbbfour View Post


    Good Afternoon. I am considering making the switch to a MAC from windows for personal use, my company is windows based and well, that aint changing anytime soon. The only real problem I have is the $ vs. a pc.



    anyone?



    Thanks.





    So what is it that you want to know?
  • Reply 7 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post


    So what is it that you want to know?



    That was my first instinct too.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbbfour View Post


    laptop, budget is open at the moment.



    No regrets.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Both macbook and macbook pro works like charm but if you want to use ur laptop as desktop replacement, i suggest macbook pro because well it just rox lol
  • Reply 10 of 25
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 16,918member
    No offense intended to anyone, but have you all noticed what nerds we are? I mean, we're sitting her offering purchase advice on an Apple laptop. Problem: THERE ARE TWO MODELS.



    Should I get the MacBook? Or the Macbok Pro?



    (17 pages later)



    But the Macbook is cheaper!



    (5 pages later)



    The the MBP is faster!





    Just an observation.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post


    No offense intended to anyone, but have you all noticed what nerds we are?



    Speak for youself, I'm just being helpful. He/She said budget is open, so I said get a MacBook Pro, the main two reasons I'd get the pro is screen size and graphics. If the person was just doing web surfing and email then they should get the regular MacBook - just an observation.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    like i mentioned on my post earlier, both are viable options just depends on your usage
  • Reply 13 of 25
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by illutionz View Post


    how do u know that the poster is a "she" O.o stalk much :P

    anyway like i mentioned on my post earlier, both are viable options just depends on your usage



    That was meant to be "here," not "her."



  • Reply 14 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post


    That was meant to be "here," not "her."







    woops my eyes was blind lol
  • Reply 15 of 25
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 16,918member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Speak for youself, I'm just being helpful. He/She said budget is open, so I said get a MacBook Pro, the main two reasons I'd get the pro is screen size and graphics. If the person was just doing web surfing and email then they should get the regular MacBook - just an observation.



    Dude...lighten up.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Thanks for the replies. As to what will i be doing, em, web, remote admin of Cisco rousters, switches, and firewalls. Editing network documentation with ms office 07. Using it to connect to Cisco hardwar will cover about 60% of the use, the rest will be split up among the remaining tasks.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbbfour View Post


    Thanks for the replies. As to what will i be doing, em, web, remote admin of Cisco rousters, switches, and firewalls. Editing network documentation with ms office 07. Using it to connect to Cisco hardwar will cover about 60% of the use, the rest will be split up among the remaining tasks.



    in that case i believe macbook is enough for you but if you have the budget why not grabbin MBP but it's ur choice ultimately
  • Reply 18 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post


    Dude...lighten up.



    I just gave a response, and I feel light as a diasy.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbbfour View Post


    Thanks for the replies. As to what will i be doing, em, web, remote admin of Cisco rousters, switches, and firewalls. Editing network documentation with ms office 07. Using it to connect to Cisco hardwar will cover about 60% of the use, the rest will be split up among the remaining tasks.



    You have to ask yourself one simple qestion then; what is more important to you the money or portability?
  • Reply 20 of 25
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    You'll be happy with either laptop. The Macbook is a wonderful notebook for plopping on your lap while you watch TV. The Macbook Pro is still good for that but really shines in its features for the size it is.



    I will tell you that starting off with the Mac will take a little bit of patience...but it WILL be worth it! A lot of people will want to tell you that "using a Mac is just like Windows." No, it's not. Yes there are icons. Yes there are folders. But enough differences between the systems make a bit of a learning curve.



    The advice I always give people is this: "If you think a Mac should be able to do something it probably can."



    My parents had a rough time when they first moved from Windows to Mac OS X. My dad threatened to take the iMac back to the store. I helped him with stuff and asked him to be patient and eventually he got the hang of it.



    You'll enjoy it. We'll be here to help. Have fun.
Sign In or Register to comment.