Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.9 Update

Comments

• Reply 41 of 112
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

Does anyone think that 10.4.9 might lead the way to some new hardware?

AppleTV probably requires it.
  • Reply 42 of 112
    p4 Powerbook fine after upgrade
  • Reply 43 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kali View Post

I just installed the update, from the combo installer, on my dual 2 GHz G5 with 10.4.8. The computer rebooted itself (two startups) and the restart was **very** long. Very annoying, but apparently there's isn't any problem yet.

OS updates from Apple always result in a slow reboot (caches cleared, updates being made, whatever?there are numerous reasons; the second restart should be much faster). Furthermore, the double-reboot is also normal in many updates. If you read the documentation that goes along with the updates you will usually see these things mentioned.

In fact, many bugs you see after an update vanish after your next reboot (if you even see any). I reboot a second time myself before I do anything just to avoid the hassle. I can?t remember a single time in all my Apple history that I?ve suffered a crash or major problem after an update, either, but I know a lot of this has to do with my avoidance of third-party OS-altering utilities.

Updating now, we?ll see how it goes.
  • Reply 44 of 112
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,026member
    I can't believe I get to post this after 7 years!

"Yep...feels snappier!"

• Reply 45 of 112
    Update was smooth. First reboot afterward was slow (normal) and OS loaded a little oddly (normal). Rebooted my second time and everything works great. Applications seem to load a bit faster but if I hadn?t read that this is an attribute of this update I might not have noticed it. Photoshop CS2 still takes an eternity, CS3 seemed a bit faster (but hey, it was already fast?Intel processor). Just repaired my permissions. Back to work.
  • Reply 46 of 112
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

best leopard app at wwdc will be photoshop.

Adobe probably has close to the master copy.

Unless they start using some actual Leopard technology - like Core Animation, it is doubtful they will win anything, except for "It's about fucking time you finished it" award.
  • Reply 47 of 112
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trans9B View Post

But does it break one's hacked copy of front row?

without the remote, i found front row to be little more than a curiosity.....
  • Reply 48 of 112
    now that 10.4.9 is out, that means the next one is 10.5!!! Awesome!!

(definately kidding, don't freak out)
  • Reply 49 of 112
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,906member
    Does it fix the iCal alert position bug? Many have experienced this weirdness - the alerts pop up off the right side of the screen (sometimes the left with certain computers) with only a small amount of the alert window visible. It started with 10.4.8
  • Reply 50 of 112
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Does it fix the iCal alert position bug? Many have experienced this weirdness - the alerts pop up off the right side of the screen (sometimes the left with certain computers) with only a small amount of the alert window visible. It started with 10.4.8

According to multiple replies on TUAW it does fix this particular issue.
  • Reply 51 of 112
    hi_qhi_q Posts: 31member
    Now setting up my pool for Leopard release? Who wants in? LOL
  • Reply 52 of 112
    alanskyalansky Posts: 235member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmoney468 View Post

This is great...tried to install the OS X update through the software update, says couldn't install, try running it manually. Well I tried running it manually, it wouldn't run, so I restarted and now I can't boot my Macbook Pro

That certainly is weird. If this happened to me, I would (1) reinstall Tiger from the DVD, (2) Run "Repair Permissions" in Disk Utility, (3) download and install the 10.4.9 combo updater, and (4) Repeat Step 2.
  • Reply 53 of 112
    alanskyalansky Posts: 235member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

I can?t remember a single time in all my Apple history that I?ve suffered a crash or major problem after an update, either, but I know a lot of this has to do with my avoidance of third-party OS-altering utilities.

I, too, have had exceptionally good luck updating my operating system over the years; and I, too, believe that avoiding most third-party add-ons is at least partly responsible. My philosophy is that computers are intrinsically so complex that anything you can do to simplify (that is, not to add even more complexity) is worth doing.
  • Reply 54 of 112
    Thank goodness for the eject key thing. I'm constantly accidentally ejecting disks by accident. It's right above the delete key so it's easy to do.
  • Reply 55 of 112
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    the update forced a (time consuming) re-validation of my 166 AU plugins in logic (and probably in sountrack pro too)... \ fingers crossed none of my favourites now failed the test! \
  • Reply 56 of 112
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Yes, according to this very interesting tech-note http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304821 which is linked in the article.

Quote:

iChat, iCal, and iSync

Resolves an issue in which iCal reminders may appear off to the side of the screen.

• Reply 57 of 112
    I just did and now Protools won't run on my Macbook. It will bounce once and stop... nothing else happens. What we have here is a total failure on someones part. They had better address this quickly.
  • Reply 58 of 112
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corkurk View Post

I wonder if this will take care of the problem of some MacBook Pros not going to sleep properly as discussed in this thread:

http://forums.macnn.com/69/powerbook...g-sleep-needs/

Seems like there are quite a few people with this happening. Starting a couple of weeks ago, when I close the lid the computer doesn't actually go to sleep. I would open it up to find the palmrests really hot and the battery drained. I've been using the apple menu to put it to sleep before I close it and that works, but I'd really like an official fix for this. Anyone else on AI with a MBP having these problems?

Maybe 10.4.9 will take care of it.

Crosses fingers, crosses self and hits "download"...

here we go!

I've been getting this on my Macbook (Core Duo); the palm rest is hot and the fans are blowing HOT air.
  • Reply 59 of 112
    Is it just me or are the MacBook Pro internal speakers LOUDER now?
  • Reply 60 of 112
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Well this nice to see. Now it's really obvious that Tiger is on it's way out. RIP tiger, you were good to me while you were around, you will probably not be missed though if leopard is everything they say. Rest easy OSX 10.4