Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.9 Update

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple changed them ever so slightly so there's a delay to stop you ejecting by accident, they work, just hold eject for bit longer.

Thanks As I see in other posting about the eject function patience is not one of many Mac users' virtues. But you were right I counted to 2 thousand and presto my friendly system options appeared.
  • Reply 102 of 112
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cyclespeed View Post

Thanks As I see in other posting about the eject function patience is not one of many Mac users' virtues. But you were right I counted to 2 thousand and presto my friendly system options appeared.

It's my guess that we'll see a simple hack listed on this week on MacOSXhinst.com that allows you change this setting back to the way it was before as it seems to be annoying a lot of people.
  • Reply 103 of 112
    I believe we will see some pretty dramatic new features in Leopard, that have not been revealed on any of the rumor sites thus far that I have seen. Not that I came up with it, but I think Cringley is onto something. To save this board of a huge post, I have written it up here: http://itfinanceguy.com/?p=8

Big things coming for Leopard! Exciting times to be a mac user!
  • Reply 104 of 112
    ITFinanceGuy,

Your comment regarding Leopard natively supporting Windows APIs has piqued my interest. Do you have any evidence that would support such a feature, or is that purely "this would be awesome if..." Certainly that would be a HUGE selling point.

I would estimate that one new feature could bring a 25% sales increase overall and a possible increase of market share from ~15% to 25% within a year. Esp. from people who didn't want to upgrade to VISTA on their PC.

There are alot of people who should have Macs for the simple reason that they are simple, easy and safer to sue than Windows based PCs. People who missed the personal computer revolution like some people's parents or grandparents. Learning environments. Kiosks. Game users who don't have an interest in messing about with stupid settings and hardware/software conflicts. These are people who should have Macs and would have a higher chance of choosing a Macintosh over a PC, esp. if Windows APIs were natively supported by Leopard. Tha would pretty much make your list of reasons to use Windows drop quickly.

Cheers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ITFinanceGuy View Post

I believe we will see some pretty dramatic new features in Leopard, that have not been revealed on any of the rumor sites thus far that I have seen. Not that I came up with it, but I think Cringley is onto something. To save this board of a huge post, I have written it up here: http://itfinanceguy.com/?p=8

Big things coming for Leopard! Exciting times to be a mac user!

• Reply 105 of 112
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freudian View Post

ITFinanceGuy,

Your comment regarding Leopard natively supporting Windows APIs has peaked my interest. Do you have any evidence that would support such a feature, or is that purely "this would be awesome if..." Certainly that would be a HUGE selling point.

Cringely was the first to talk of that about 9 months ago, he's a great track record that guy.
  • Reply 106 of 112
    I was running 10.4.8 in a G5 Desktop and over a powerbook Aluminium, but right after installing the new update, both refused to eject any cd using the keybord, neither to open the tray. In fact, the "eject icon" on the screen does not show up either. I thought it was something overwritten in my system, so I reinstalled 10.4.0 and the upgrade to 10.4.9 and there it was the same problem.

Definetely I stay with 10.4.8 until Leopard, but I won't run to 10.5.0. I will wait 10.5.5 or something, once Apple has corrected any problem.
  • Reply 107 of 112
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mamanogabriel View Post

I was running 10.4.8 in a G5 Desktop and over a powerbook Aluminium, but right after installing the new update, both refused to eject any cd using the keybord, neither to open the tray. In fact, the "eject icon" on the screen does not show up either. I thought it was something overwritten in my system, so I reinstalled 10.4.0 and the upgrade to 10.4.9 and there it was the same problem.

Definetely I stay with 10.4.8 until Leopard, but I won't run to 10.5.0. I will wait 10.5.5 or something, once Apple has corrected any problem.

Have you seen this? A change was made. Did you try holding down the eject button instead of just tapping it?
  • Reply 108 of 112
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Cringely was the first to talk of that about 9 months ago, he's a great track record that guy.

9 months ago? I beleive it's been several years (maybe as far as 2000-2001) since I first read about this from Robert X. Cringely.
  • Reply 109 of 112
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

9 months ago? I beleive it's been several years (maybe as far as 2000-2001) since I first read about this from Robert X. Cringely.

I know, but it hit digg and did the rounds nine months ago.
  • Reply 110 of 112
    Hey guys, first time on here.

I was wondering if anyone has had problems with their Superdrive for the MacBook Pro. See, mine is only reading DVDs and CDs. But it's not writing to them, its not recognizing DVD-Rs, DVD+R DLs or even CD-Rs. Has this happen to anyone with a MacBook Pro?

Also, is this update (10.4.9) safe for my MacBook Pro?
  • Reply 111 of 112
    obijuanobijuan Posts: 1member
    Anyone?
  • Reply 112 of 112
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ObiJuan View Post

Anyone?

10.4.9 seems fine. Your writer probably should get looked at.