Briefly: EU on iTunes, 10.4.9 phone sync, Intel's Bearlake, Verizon card for MBP

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The European Commission has in short order raised -- and then quashed -- hints of legal action on a larger scope against iTunes' closed system. At the same time, Apple's latest Mac OS X update has greatly expanded its phone support, details have surfaced of Intel's new mainstream desktop platform, and Verizon gave MacBook Pros faster Internet access.

EU consumer head triggers worry over iTunes DRM

The European Union's Commissioner for Consumer Protection, Meglena Kuneva, laid to rest this week worries that the continent-wide body would take legal action against Apple over the inoperability of its iTunes Store purchases with non-iPod hardware.

The consumer head caused a brief scare by taking an insistent tone during an interview with Germany's Focus magazine published this week, demanding that "something should change" with Apple's tactics. Some interpreted the statement as a sign that the EU would force a legal change in the near future.

However, Kuneva quickly defused the potentially explosive situation by arguing that she only wanted to provoke thoughts about the issue, also denying any parallels between Apple's position and Microsoft's troubles with the European Commission.

"I would like, really, to start this debate. What is best to develop this market and to have more consumers enjoying this really very important, very modern way of downloading and enjoying the music," she said. "Somebody drew the comparison with Microsoft. No, this is not the case because the share of the market of Apple is really not a big one so there is not any reason to talk about infringement."

Apple is still facing legal challenges from individual European nations over its reluctance to open its standards.

Mac OS X 10.4.9 update boosts sync support

Apple today revealed that it had significantly expanded its phone support as part of Tuesday's

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    My thoughts on the new iMacs:

Mobile Bearlake Chips, 2 Cores at 2,33Ghz.

Ati X1900

Rest just the same.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denmaru View Post

Ati X1900

Rest just the same.

Uh, I realize that it really is the article which is at fault, but Bearlake is a chipset codename, not a processor codename.

In second quarter of 2008, however, we will see Penryn chips with the Montevina (update of Centrino Pro) with a 1067 MHz FSB, and Santa Rosa in the second week of May will bring an 800 MHz FSB with some sort of dynamic FSB scaling to conserve power. And we will see 2,6 GHz Meroms at the same time.

Still no support for the M600i in iSync, I cannot help but notice.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    So is Bearlake the desktop "version" of the Santa Rosa platform?
  • Reply 4 of 43
    Still no MS smartphone support.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    shookstershookster Posts: 113member
    What's the one coming later this year that is designed for media encoding/decoding?
  • Reply 6 of 43
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

So is Bearlake the desktop "version" of the Santa Rosa platform?

No. Santa Rosa consists of the Crestline chipset (G/PM965 + ICH8 I believe), the Kedron PRO/wireless WLAN-card, and Merom with a 200*4 FSB. I believe the Robson NAND-cache is optional.

Bearlake is just a new northbridge that will replace the 965 and 975x-series of chipsets. It will be paired with the ICH9. The high end versions also bring support for DDR3, and no, it won't be used in the Mac Pro. I think it may bring PCIe 2.0 too.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denmaru View Post

Ati X1900

There is no mobile Bearlake, the (roughly) equivalent mobile chipset has its own code name.

I think a 24" iMac with this + a 2.66Hz C2D would be interesting. The 24" models are large enough such that it should be able to handle the increased heat without becoming noisy.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Can someone tell me why I haven't been able to see any of the images on these AI stories lately in Safari or Firefox? (intel Core Duo)
  • Reply 9 of 43
    so Apple are nearly in the clear with the EU about DRM then.........

thats why Steve wrote that open letter so when all the major labels said no it's got to stay he could just stand up in court and say

"see it's not apple it's so & so and so & so......."

the company never stopps amazing me.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

Still no support for the M600i in iSync, I cannot help but notice.

No support at all for any UIQ 3.x phone. They did add support for some Nokia Series 60 phones based on Symbian OS 9.x though so it's a bit odd they didn't add UIQ 3.x support too. Nice to see USB support too on Nokia's media phones. It'll be so much quicker to copy music across.

Still no MS Phone support. DIE! Suckers!
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Hi Guys, with update 10.4.9, there has been a radical change to the structure of the isync plugin directory. Each phone type has its own plugin folder rather than a listing in the Metaclasses.plist file.

My E60 now works with isync by copying the E61 plugin folder, renaming it to E60, then replacing the E61 references within all the .plist files with E60 (a simple find/replace worked fine).

I also used the E60 icon from her (http://www.randomtype.com/?p=122) to replace the E61 icon, and as yet I have no issues.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carlito2 View Post

so Apple are nearly in the clear with the EU about DRM then.........

thats why Steve wrote that open letter so when all the major labels said no it's got to stay he could just stand up in court and say

"see it's not apple it's so & so and so & so......."

the company never stopps amazing me.

heh I never thought about it that way. Yeah the labels really did them self in the ass this time
  • Reply 13 of 43
    apparently iSync sais that my samsung d900 is not supported still. and it's on the list.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

Still no MS smartphone support.

Gee! I wonder why?
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

No. Santa Rosa consists of the Crestline chipset (G/PM965 + ICH8 I believe), the Kedron PRO/wireless WLAN-card, and Merom with a 200*4 FSB. I believe the Robson NAND-cache is optional.

Bearlake is just a new northbridge that will replace the 965 and 975x-series of chipsets. It will be paired with the ICH9. The high end versions also bring support for DDR3, and no, it won't be used in the Mac Pro. I think it may bring PCIe 2.0 too.

PCIe 2 is the real question here, isn't it? We may not see actual machines with it until, at least, the end of the year, though it would be nice if it were contemporaneous with the Penyrn introduction, though I thought that Intel moved that up to the third or forth quarter of this year.

Read down to the very bottom of the article;

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2101695,00.asp
  • Reply 16 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

There is no mobile Bearlake, the (roughly) equivalent mobile chipset has its own code name.

I think a 24" iMac with this + a 2.66Hz C2D would be interesting. The 24" models are large enough such that it should be able to handle the increased heat without becoming noisy.

Yeah, baby! I don't see a problem with that. As long as they stay with one chip, they won't compete with the Mac Pro, but should be about 25% faster than the Santa Rosa equipped mobile chips.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ehouse View Post

Hi Guys, with update 10.4.9, there has been a radical change to the structure of the isync plugin directory. Each phone type has its own plugin folder rather than a listing in the Metaclasses.plist file.

My E60 now works with isync by copying the E61 plugin folder, renaming it to E60, then replacing the E61 references within all the .plist files with E60 (a simple find/replace worked fine).

I also used the E60 icon from her (http://www.randomtype.com/?p=122) to replace the E61 icon, and as yet I have no issues.

Very enterprising! Good.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Why? No reason not to.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Gee! I wonder why?

• Reply 19 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

Why? No reason not to.

iPhone