Briefly: Apple's Leopard to boost Photoshop performance

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple Inc. and Adobe Systems Inc. are reportedly working behind the scenes to improve the performance of Adobe's Photoshop under Apple's next-generation Leopard operating system.

In an forum post made a few weeks ago, Adobe's Russell Williams explained how the integration of Photoshop with Leopard, due out a bit later this spring, will overcome an existing barrier to performance in the current version of the Mac OS X.

"Buffering is disabled by default in CS3 (Creative Suite 3) when running on Tiger because of an OS issue. Every 30 seconds, the OS pauses Photoshop for anywhere from a fraction of a second to several seconds as it manages that giant buffer cache," he wrote.

"If you're painting, this is a big problem, and it's why we made the 'disable VM buffering' plugin available for CS2. Apple says that issue is fixed in Leopard, but we haven't verified that yet."

In his post, Williams said Adobe's current plan for Photoshop CS3 is to enable VM buffering for big RAM machines running Leopard and disable it for Tiger.

"But we'll provide an 'enable VM buffering' plugin to override this on Tiger if you don't mind the Tiger pause," he added.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Adobe is working with Apple. That's nice. Where were they at Photoshop 7, and CS

All I can say, is that running PS 7 on a new Intel Quad 2.66 with 4gb of RAM is mind-numbing. I know it's running rosetta, but COME ON!
  • Reply 2 of 45
    Briefly is spelt incorrectly.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielmorris View Post

nice first post
  • Reply 4 of 45
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielmorris View Post

What about "weird"?
  • Reply 5 of 45
    Weird is weird.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    macheimachei Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

What about "weird"?

Weird is a weird exception.

Edit; Dayam, ya beat me to it, DM.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    is Photoshop one of the things being presented at NAB? if so, Leopard will come then.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

What about "weird"?

I always just go with "I before E except when not," then leave it up to the spell-checker. There's too many rulebreakers with that one to memorize them all.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    I guess this should prepare us for CS3 performing just as badly on MacTels with tiger as CS2 does on the same setup.... When they were designing Tiger, did they forget that PS is one of the most used apps out there? Well, I guess the "upgrade" price for CS3 will have the cost of Leopard tacked onto it...
  • Reply 10 of 45
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_before_e_except_after_c

However, `` In an forum post made a few weeks ago...'' should read:

In a forum post made a few weeks ago...

You place an n when the proceeding word begins with a vowel.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    NAB is for braodcast Tv. But the Adobe Preview of new Suite is on March 27th. Yesterday, at their earnings report Adobe said that there are no special Leopard features (that aren't also available when running on Tiger), but that performance is increased on the Intel machines over the PPC platform.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Here comes the grammar police.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Actually that would be "Here come the grammar police." But you were probably just fishing.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member
    "Apple says that issue is fixed in Leopard, but we haven't verified that yet."

Doesn't sound like their working together *too* closely....
  • Reply 15 of 45
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Unless Apple seeds releases for some reason other than giving developers a chance to run the software on it and make adjustments, this isn't news.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya View Post

Actually that would be "Here come the grammar police." But you were probably just fishing.

Guess he figured his nearly 3k posts was not enough... :P I mean, I should be the one trying for it, not him.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Buffering is disabled by default in CS3 (Creative Suite 3) when running on Tiger because of an OS issue. Every 30 seconds, the OS pauses Photoshop for anywhere from a fraction of a second to several seconds as it manages that giant buffer cache," he wrote.

This may shed some light on some of the issues I am experiencing in PS CS3. I have the dual Xeon 3.0 mac pro with 8 gigs of ram but it never seems to use more than 4 gigs no matter how many applications I have open. Of course PS is running in Rosetta but I still use CS3 Beta exclusively all day long and it works pretty well aside from the occasional beach ball which may be explained by this buffer cache thing.

m
  • Reply 18 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

and the gandpa police not far behind
  • Reply 19 of 45
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

I guess this should prepare us for CS3 performing just as badly on MacTels with tiger as CS2 does on the same setup.

It doesn't though. I run CS3 beta all the time now under Tiger and with the exception of the lack of brush icons (guess they weren't working with Apple at that point), it runs great. Much faster than CS2. It's good news that it will be even faster under Leopard though.

This also goes for the new Maya 8.5 universal binary, which finally makes Maya usable under OS X. Still doesn't support hardware rendering with the GMA though.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I run CS3 beta all the time now under Tiger and with the exception of the lack of brush icons

Which is why I run it in Rosetta, to get back the brush sizes. I can't function without accurate diameters for the brushes.