Apple's Leopard reported to be nearing final candidate stage

Comments

• Reply 41 of 87
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

If Leopard is still on track to come out this spring, it's getting a little late to add those "top secret" features into the product, isn't it?

I'm thinking those "top secret" features have to do with the iPhone and TV. Back when the "top secret" features were mentioned they had yet to be announced so of course they couldn't talk about them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

He was right about one thing. There's no money in the Mini and last I heard it's the worst selling Mac.

Maybe if they updated them once in a while they would sell better. They are woefully outdated.
  • Reply 42 of 87
    iPhone

No way Leopard is going to be held back, especially for Vista compatibility, because iPhone needs Leopard to run on Macs. No way the number one new item from Apple is going to be held up by the number 2 item, not after the buzz that iPhone has created. The world is counting down every single second until June arrives for the iPhone. And Leopard will be there waiting at the door when it arrives! Sometimes you just need to use common sense to figure these goose chases out.

/
  • Reply 43 of 87
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Developer Previews are designed specifically to aid developers in testing their software for the next-generation OS. It is not meant to be a technology preview. The final product may look different, have different features, and yes, may be more stable and have fewer bugs (but it will also have its own bugs in product elements left out of the previews we’ve been seeing).

Agree and as Steve so eloquently stated end of his keynote following the Leopard presentation,

"Today we are annoucing XCode 3 at the afternoon session. It is a giant leap in XCode… We want to get it into your hands so as soon as possible, so we have a (Leopard) developer preview which we are going to put it in your hands today. Because we want you to start taking advantage of all this great technology in your apps, so that when we get done with Leopard, you’ve got some awesome apps to show it off."
  • Reply 44 of 87
    Quote:

If Leopard is still on track to come out this spring, it's getting a little late to add those "top secret" features into the product, isn't it?

You think that maybe the special feature is an operating system that supports playing HD movies? I hope the secret is not someting as worthless as Widgets!
  • Reply 45 of 87
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The reason we don't know about the top secret features by now is in the name. They are "top secret"!!
  • Reply 46 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pairof9s View Post

iPhone

No way Leopard is going to be held back, especially for Vista compatibility, because iPhone needs Leopard to run on Macs. No way the number one new item from Apple is going to be held up by the number 2 item, not after the buzz that iPhone has created. The world is counting down every single second until June arrives for the iPhone. And Leopard will be there waiting at the door when it arrives! Sometimes you just need to use common sense to figure these goose chases out.

/

I'm not saying your wrong or right (because I don't know) but where and when was it stated that the iPhone needed Leopard to run?
  • Reply 47 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alolkoy View Post

You think that maybe the special feature is an operating system that supports playing HD movies? I hope the secret is not someting as worthless as Widgets!

OK, I keep hearing this one... What exactly are you talking about? What part of HD do Tiger and Macs not support?

It's like when people say, "I wish iMacs supported HD video." Go to apple.com/trailers and watch an HD trailer. Voila, HD on your Mac.

So what specifically are you asking for?
  • Reply 48 of 87
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

OK, I keep hearing this one... What exactly are you talking about? What part of HD do Tiger and Macs not support?

It's like when people say, "I wish iMacs supported HD video." Go to apple.com/trailers and watch an HD trailer. Voila, HD on your Mac.

So what specifically are you asking for?

Maybe he's talking about H.264 high-profile and VC-1 support. And AACS.
  • Reply 49 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmedia1 View Post

I really hope iCal and Mail are integrated into 1 application. That would be REAL upgrade!

Ick! Do you also wish your flat-screen TV had a microwave in it?

Why jam together two unrelated things? That way lies the Microsoft way of doing things. Keep Mail and iCal separate and optimise them for the tasks they are meant to perform.
  • Reply 50 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

vlc cannot do this?
  • Reply 51 of 87
    Quote:

Ick! Do you also wish your flat-screen TV had a microwave in it?

Why jam together two unrelated things? That way lies the Microsoft way of doing things. Keep Mail and iCal separate and optimise them for the tasks they are meant to perform.

Microsoft isn't the only company that thinks like this. And don't knock the tv+microwave combo, clearly some people have an interest in this http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007..._microwave.php
  • Reply 52 of 87
    Quote:

H.264, VC-1, and AACS are not HD. HD refers to video resolution. End of story.

That's like saying that some player doesn't "support MP3" if it didn't support FairPlay or PlaysForSure.
  • Reply 53 of 87
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

He was right about one thing. There's no money in the Mini and last I heard it's the worst selling Mac.

The Mini's not doing as bad as all that. It's #70 in sales over at Amazon, but the $999 iMac is #72. There's also AppleInsider articles I could quote that say Mini sales are solid.

Regarding profitability, I doubt Apple really cares if there's much money in it (though there may be some- the Mini isn't as low-end as we like to think, due to BYOKMAD), since, as someone else pointed out, its mainly a 'gateway drug' for Windows switchers, who "once they go Mac, won't go back", presumably.

• Reply 54 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

H.264, VC-1, and AACS are not HD. HD refers to video resolution. End of story.

That's like saying that some player doesn't "support MP3" if it didn't support FairPlay or PlaysForSure.

Sure. I was just saying maybe that's what he was talking about. I don't know.
  • Reply 55 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Axcess99 View Post

Microsoft isn't the only company that thinks like this. And don't knock the tv+microwave combo, clearly some people have an interest in this http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007..._microwave.php

That's a microwave with a flat-screen TV on it. Totally different!
  • Reply 56 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

If they could have, I think Apple would never have announced the iPhone but they were essentially forced to because they have to submit it to the FCC for certification and that is a public process so the cat had to be let out of the bag one way or the other. Also possible is that Cingular wanted heaps of publicity to get people to perhaps defer making non-cingular commitments.

I do not find it unusual that Apple pre-announced the iPhone, and while many reasons floating around may have contributed in part, I think one key reason probably weighs in heavily: cellular provider contracts. Because Apple announced their product so far in advance, along with the carrier, people around the United States (and even overseas) have had a chance to avoid signing new contracts, contemplate how to get out of their existing contracts, and generally plan for their future purchase of the iPhone.

Also, the iPhone's price places it out of the range of impulse-buying for many people, but with so much time to plan the purchase, it is easy to budget it into one?s future goals. Thanks to Apple's early announcement my contract with Verizon has expired (despite their best efforts) and I'm using a phone I would have replaced long ago.

Shall we also recognize that this is also Apple?s entry into what many perceive to be a new market for the company? An announcement well in advance allows opinions on the product to stabilize prior to the release, and allows the vast majority of rumors and FUD (and boy have there been a load of rumors and especially FUD) to be debunked. I don?t know if this was considered in planning, but people now pretty much know if they are going to buy one. Apple can win the rest over when they see how their friend?s iPhone compares to their poorly tested junk after the release. That?s where Apple has an opportunity to win people over by providing the consumer experience that so well defines the company.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

In the case of Leopard, that too has to be pre-announced because it has to be released to developers for testing, otherwise I suspect we wouldn't hear about it until it was ready to ship. Apples recent comment about the Leopard release date wasn't a tease, it was a damage limiting necessity they were reluctantly goaded into by the inaccurate spoutings from Digi times that may have had developers ringing Apple up in a panic.

Apple has a time-honored tradition of announcing their OS plans in advance. They don?t take it as far as Microsoft, perhaps to avoid Microsoft?s folly of creating so much vaporware, but they have been announcing their OS updates well ahead of time for many years. I would agree that developer previews are a key element of this decision, but keeping people interested in the future is probably another. Microsoft generates loads of hype for their next-generation software?hype that would go unchallenged if not for publicity generated by Apple and amplified through the rumor mill.
  • Reply 57 of 87
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmedia1 View Post

I really hope iCal and Mail are integrated into 1 application. That would be REAL upgrade!

Via Services, Yes. Combined into a one monolithic app? No. That would go against design paradigms since NeXTSTEP was developed.
  • Reply 58 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Wu reiterated a Buy rating on shares of the Cupertino-based Mac maker, emphasizing his belief that the company is morphing into a four-prong (Mac, iPod + iTunes, Apple TV, and iPhone) vertically integrated consumer electronics firm.

Not much comment has been made of Apple's earlier statement that they had 4 prongs to their strategy....

So just for a second...

Picture the full range of Macs: MacPros, MacBooks, MBPs, iMacs, Mac Mini...

Picture the full range of iPods: The iPod, Nano, & Shuffle.

Picture the AppleTV

Picture the iPhone

I wonder what products will "fill out" the Apple TV prong, and the iPhone prong.
  • Reply 59 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I wonder what products will "fill out" the Apple TV prong, and the iPhone prong.

que Ireland posting about AN Apple TV ...as opposed to THE Apple TV
  • Reply 60 of 87
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,780member
    Quote:

You'd think so and all the software developers are saying that. It make me think that the top secret items don't impact any third party developers.