Apple thrives under Vista onslaught, steady on iPods

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

As I continue to read these articles about analyst reports, I keep asking myself, "Do they really get paid to state the obvious?" Why exactly would Vista's impending launch affect Mac sales? Mac's aren't Windows PC's and HP/Dell/Lenovo computers aren't OS X PC's.

Microsoft announced a new version of the Xbox but I highly doubt it will affect sales of the Nintendo Wii, Sony's PS3 or toasters. Can I get my analyst pay for that obvious conclusion?

If Apple announced a release date for Leopard, I bet we'd see a similar slow down in Mac sales. They'll probably be one as the "late Spring" launch deadline draws near and people anticipate Leopard's arrival.

No you can't get your analyst pay for that incorrect conclusion. People weigh their options when buying computers. If they see a new computer with a brand new operating, it could effect their decision to buy a mac. They're in the SAME MARKET! Businesses in the same market take market share from each other.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho View Post

AppleInsider is.

-=|Mgkwho

Quote:
    Originally Posted by orange whip View Post

You do your country no favours with that kind of attitude.

what attitude?
  • Reply 23 of 43
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    Apparently I have attitude...I'm really just trying to be light-hearted.

But there's no room for humor when we're talking about Windows, I guess...

some people need to take sticks out of their...

BTW everybody, it is really hard to tell inflection or attitude from plain text.

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 24 of 43
    tokoloshtokolosh Posts: 101member
    Considering the number of people who are likely waiting for the new Mac OS and still Apple is unaffected by the Vista release. What that tells me is Apple has an opportunity to make a pretty big splash before the end of Spring.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    I have to disagree. If someone is looking for a new PC, then they are going to get it. How do Mac sales come into play? Yeah, they all are computers, but they are not the same.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

No you can't get your analyst pay for that incorrect conclusion. People weigh their options when buying computers. If they see a new computer with a brand new operating, it could effect their decision to buy a mac. They're in the SAME MARKET! Businesses in the same market take market share from each other.

• Reply 26 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

The vast majority of people NEVER see a Mac when they go to buy a new computer. The only places consumers would be weighing their options is CompUSA (the ones that aren't closing) and a couple Best Buy stores or online. Most people probably aren't even aware that they run different operating systems (the current Apple ads never show Tiger running). What they knew from going to Circuit City, Best Buy or the Dell website is that a new OS was coming out for the computer.

Put simply, people would have to know what a Mac was to have it affect their decision on whether to buy one or not.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

The vast majority of people NEVER see a Mac when they go to buy a new computer. The only places consumers would be weighing their options is CompUSA (the ones that aren't closing) and a couple Best Buy stores or online. Most people probably aren't even aware that they run different operating systems (the current Apple ads never show Tiger running). What they knew from going to Circuit City, Best Buy or the Dell website is that a new OS was coming out for the computer.

Put simply, people would have to know what a Mac was to have it affect their decision on whether to buy one or not.

I entirely agree. People (and by people, I mean Joe Bloggs) do not even seem to notice that Macs don’t run Windows. Even if you put one in front of them. I let my friend have a go on my MacBook and it took him like ten minutes to ask ”where’s the Start button?”, and then about a further five minutes to work out for himself that there isn’t one.

Apple should really start to show off OS X more and get the idea into consumer’s heads that OS X and Windows are different. And, that OS X is better. But we all knew that anyway.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

it's.

not.

friday.

-=|Mgkwho

I didn't see this article published as I perused the rumors sites before turning in for bed Thursday evening, so I could be wrong or maybe things once stated, were, but have now been changed, BUT, I'm seeing the following...

Friday, March 30, 2007

Apple thrives under Vista onslaught...

By Aidan Malley

Published: 12:00 AM EST

- if that is truely when it was published (12:00 AM EST), does that not make the date Friday, March 30, 2007. I'm confused. What is it that others are seeing and causing them to say "it's not Friday" or "AI shows articles from the future"??? I hate seeing one thing and reading the opposite and I hate being out of the loop! Somebody Help Me!!!
  • Reply 29 of 43
    hadehade Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

I have to disagree. If someone is looking for a new PC, then they are going to get it. How do Mac sales come into play? Yeah, they all are computers, but they are not the same.

But you are implying that people who are into PC 's would never even CONSIDER buying a Mac, by definition. If that were true, the number of Macs sold wouldn 't be growing.

And if it 's not true, that means that people who were considering buying a Mac might very well stop considering because they think Vista is OK, too.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    jamezogjamezog Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A consistently strong showing was also the hallmark of the California firm's other core business, the iPod. Apple showed no signs of letting go of its by now well-entrenched marketshare, holding over 73 percent of the music player sales through the early part of the year and growing 30 percent between the same two months in 2006 and 2007. Would-be challengers had to largely be content with taking each other's business, the report noted.

"Would-be challengers..." Hmm, I wonder who THAT would be a reference to?

• Reply 31 of 43
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Forget the date debate. Let's get to something more serious. Are they actually calling an analyst an "expert"????
  • Reply 32 of 43
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple also took an 8 percent share of this particular market, compared to 6 percent a year ago -- boding especially well for the still modestly sized Mac maker in the face of resurgent competition. Some assumed the company would lose ground to Vista as it had with prior Windows updates.

What "resurgent competition." The whole article is about how poorly the "competition" is doing since Vista. Do you not know what resurgent means or not understand that your article is about?

Also, who assumed Apple would lose ground to Vista? The article you source on this was poorly sourced itself and doesn't really say how Apple would lose ground to Vista.

Finally, what "prior Windows updates" have hurt Apple? XP? XP SP1?

Boo.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hade View Post

But you are implying that people who are into PC 's would never even CONSIDER buying a Mac, by definition. If that were true, the number of Macs sold wouldn 't be growing.

And if it 's not true, that means that people who were considering buying a Mac might very well stop considering because they think Vista is OK, too.

I think the assumption is that the vast majority of people looking to buy a computer aren't considering a Mac. Thus a certain portion is considering it and making the switch, but the rest don't know or don't care what a Mac is.

If someond did a survey at the local Walmart and asked people the question, "What is a Mac?" how many would answer that it was a computer versus how many would say they thought it was a McDonald's sandwich? As much as it would be nice to believe it would be primarily the first choice, chances are it wouldn't be.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees!

Unless I overlooked it, there is no mention of OS X in the article. That said, your average user, and possibly even this "analyst", might think Apple runs Windows as it's only OS. It certainly seems like it is indirectly implied.

Is reading a problem? Or are you saying that they changed it?

First sentence:

Quote:

An expert at Morgan Stanley has reasoned that of all the major computer makers in play during the release of Windows Vista, the only one to avoid taking a hit in sales was the one company that chose not to run the software at all: Apple.Is reading a problem? Or are you saying that they changed it?

• Reply 35 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

It's a US-based website. They're perfectly entitled to be US-centric.

And no, I'm not a US citizen.

Thank you.

See Ireland, its no so hard.

• Reply 36 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blue2kdave View Post

Thank you.

See Ireland, its no so hard.

We live in a global economy and thanks to the iPod Apple is now a strong global brand. Although Sony was founded 30 years before Apple they have a smaller company value, but and here's the big but, they have many stores in my country and all round Europe. Sure it was only five years ago that Apple opened their first store, but it's about time they stated treating Europe with the same amount of fucus they do America, and for our sake and Apple's they need to start putting stores in other countries besides England. Sure they have plans to do this, but we want to see some action and the quicker that happens the better. The Mac has a presents in America, but not here and Apple stores would change that I'm sure of it, besides I could drive to an Apple store and buy direct which is what we all want in the end.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Sure it was only five years ago that Apple opened their first store, but it's about time they stated treating Europe with the same amount of fucus they do America, and for our sake and Apple's they need to start putting stores in other countries besides England.

There's two in Scotland opening this year. Glasgow in July, Edinburgh later in the year. They're getting around to it gradually.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    reveriereverie Posts: 66member
    AI's writing style is annoying me more and more. Just get that pomade out of your words.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    solairsolair Posts: 4member
    To get back to the original poster's point:

It's a bit of a pointless article. Apple's extremely unlikely to be affected by the launch of Windows Vista. The Windows and Mac markets operate in parallel rather than in direct competition.

PC Makers in general are still churning out generic products that are as boring as ever. The likes of DELL etc don't really provide any innovation for the PC as a consumer product. The vast majority of PCs still looking and feeling like office or lab equipment rather than genuine finished consumer products.

Only perhaps Sony has any sort of product differnciation.

Apple will continue to grow within its niche in the market as the demand for high end media-centric computers is rising and the PC market still, even with vista, hasn't really addressed this as effectively as apple has.

The growth of high speed broadband and all the movie and audio centric stuff that this creates is always going to benefit apple as that's the market its products are specifically targeting.

There's also no question that the Mac is riding on the success of the iPod, iTunes and probabally the iPhone when it goes more mass-market.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Quote:

Apparently I have attitude...I'm really just trying to be light-hearted.

But there's no room for humor when we're talking about Windows, I guess...

some people need to take sticks out of their...

BTW everybody, it is really hard to tell inflection or attitude from plain text.

-=|Mgkwho

fair point... I was being a grumpy arse that day....I do apologise