Apple thrives under Vista onslaught, steady on iPods

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solair View Post

To get back to the original poster's point:

It's a bit of a pointless article. Apple's extremely unlikely to be affected by the launch of Windows Vista. The Windows and Mac markets operate in parallel rather than in direct competition.

I agree with this. Apple has their targeted niche. They've got their dedicated fan-base (you know, the people willing to plunk down money on things like an AppleTV or an iphone without even knowing exactly how or how well they work). And they'll get some switchers.

But they aren't going to trash the PC market. Most people buy on price, and Apple's limited offerings really force users into either spending more money then they want, or buying less then they need. Apple still doesn't produce computers for the enterprise or business market, let alone the upgrader market. You want to modify your mac, you're spending $2000. You want a 15 inch laptop, its a $2000 macbook pro (there's dozens of 15"+ windows laptops for less then $1000). They also make stupid design decisions. Why exactly can an owner of a MacBook easily replace their harddrive, but the owner of a MacBook Pro can't?

And for those who think going to intel will get more windows users to buy macs, also keep in mind that Apple's laptops don't have two button trackpad clickers. Using the two-finger salute

for right-click will only satisfy the apple-loving windows users out there.
  • Reply 42 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

...but it's about time they stated treating Europe with the same amount of fucus they do America.

I thought that was the problem. America seems to fucus the rest of the world too much.

• Reply 43 of 43
    rahrensrahrens Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

I agree with this. Apple has their targeted niche. They've got their dedicated fan-base (you know, the people willing to plunk down money on things like an AppleTV or an iphone without even knowing exactly how or how well they work). And they'll get some switchers.

Oh, and I suppose that is why their market sales are growing 5 TIMES the rate of the rest of the market? Perhaps their NICHE is just growing, maybe that would explain it... if the niche grows big enough, what's left becomes the niche and the niche becomes the market...

Have you paid no attention? Last year, HALF of the people that bought Macs at the Apple stores were first time Apple owners! Apple is no longer a niche market company, they are directly challenging Microsoft on the desktop, and are doing so successfully. Note also, that Apple sales have not dipped at all during the Vista launch, as had been expected by many analysts.

Look for it, between Apple and Linux, Microsoft will lose over 20% of its market in the next 24 months. Minimum!