Apple, Jobs and EMI set to unveil 'new digital offering'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Someone said the Beatles available for download would not be a big thing; I humbly disagree.

The first company to gain the rights to the Beatles and online distribution will have a bloody fortune coming their way.

I know that I would download at least 20 songs immediately, and I suspect quite a few other people would, too. You are talking lots of "kids" from the 60's, 70's and 80's for whom the Beatles were IT. Lots of kids nowadays also love the Beatles, so I think sales will cross a wide age range.

Just hope the servers can support the rush for the first few weeks.
  • Reply 42 of 64
    max_naylormax_naylor Posts: 194member
    What would EMI have to do with The Beatles? As I understand it, aren?t they signed to Apple Records?

I really hope that it?s DRM free music, but I hope more that it?s video in the UK. All eyes on the iTS!!!! It?s about time that we got some of what you Americans have been enjoying for ages.
  • Reply 43 of 64
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Wow, Beatles downloads.

Now all of those people who have been holding off ripping their CD versions of the Beatles catalogue to their iPods can finally pay apple to download them

I mean, how is this that important an event that Jobs would show up - you can buy pretty much every Beatles CD in major chains for 10 or 12 bucks, I think everybody that wanted to buy a Beatles album has done so already, and if they wanted it on their iPod, they would have ripped it already...

I hope this announcement isn't about the removal of all DRM, that would be a real shame. Totally giving up on illegal copying of music just doesn't make sense. I haven't had any problems using DRM-coded material on my own equipment, maybe I can't play it on my neighbor's equipment or sell it "used", but I think that's a fair price for downloaded content. Nobody legitimately has a problem with DVD copy protection (except people that want to rip their rented movies illegally), and I don't see how music is so different...
  • Reply 44 of 64
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Nobody legitimately has a problem with DVD copy protection (except people that want to rip their rented movies illegally), and I don't see how music is so different...

I would say the problem with iTunes DRM is its totally locked-in nature. It only plays on Apple's iTunes, Apple's iPod, Apple's AppleTV...and it will only play on authorized computers or synced iPods. If I take that file to someone else's computer, it's pretty useless.

You can't really say that about DVD's. Sony's DVDs play just fine in my Pioneer DVD player. I take that disc and put in someone else's player and it has no issue playing. If I don't like the features offered by one DVD player, I can look elsewhere for a player with better features.

With iTunes DRM'ed music, you take what Apple wants to give you in terms of playback features on all the devices. For instance, I wish there was an option to shuffle songs on my 5th gen iPod for just what I was listening to at the moment, without setting it globally.
  • Reply 45 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

I go through pcs every 3-5 months

OT, but man... i dont think its iTunes thats the problem there????? geez
  • Reply 46 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gremlin View Post

Wasn't TimeWarner trying to buy EMI recently? Wouldnt it be fab if Apple beat em to it and snapped up EMI! They would have a propper seat at the table then, rather than steve turning up at the record co's door like a salesman!

BRILLIANT!
  • Reply 47 of 64
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Just because they "think" its DRM free music means nothing. I think its Jobs going to take over EMI. That has about the same believability (unless mac rumors is quoting some unnamed source).

Well the WSJ thinking it certainly means something.

You really have a disturbing amount of bitterness. Let it go!
  • Reply 48 of 64
    Hmmmmm...

Live audio webcast only available on WMP or Real Player??!!
  • Reply 49 of 64
    mcdaviesmcdavies Posts: 43member
    Odd, An apple announcement on Window Media and Real Player.

Yes I know you can play the WMV file in QuickTime.
  • Reply 50 of 64
    loulou Posts: 43member
    Quote:

EMI Music launches DRM-free superior sound quality downloads across its entire digital repertoire

EMI Group CEO Eric Nicoli today hosted a press conference at EMI's headquarters in London where he announced that EMI Music is launching DRM-free superior quality downloads across its entire digital repertoire and that Apple's iTunes Store will be the first online music store to sell EMI's new downloads. Nicoli was joined by Apple CEO Steve Jobs. The event also featured a musical performance by The Good, The Bad & The Queen.

http://www.emigroup.com/Press/2007/press18.htm

amazing news!
  • Reply 51 of 64
    doemeldoemel Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lou View Post

http://www.emigroup.com/Press/2007/press18.htm

amazing news!

And it's about damn time, too! Finally someone in the music industry gives the people what they want! I hope this has an immediate effect on online music sale figures on a magnitude that will force the other majors to follow.

This is good news indeed! Can I get a big hooray for Steve Jobs?
  • Reply 52 of 64
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Fantastic... what a coup.
  • Reply 53 of 64
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Single price goes up, Album price stays the same, encoding rate doubles. Sounds like the archetypal Jobs negotiation!
  • Reply 54 of 64
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    The whole range of EMI music will be available... this means the Beatles, too??!!??!!?

Huge news, and whoever said the Beatles wouldn't go for the current iTMS sampling rate got their wish.

This has Steve written all over it, and hopefully is just the beginning. Guess the Danes can't fuss over Apple anymore...

Way to go, Steve.
  • Reply 55 of 64
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDavies View Post

Odd, An apple announcement on Window Media and Real Player.

Yes I know you can play the WMV file in QuickTime.

They are offering an MP3 of the announcement. They called it a podcast, but I don't think it really qualifies for that title, but at least pretty much anything can play it.

At least now, this is a major coup, it covers two of my biggest reasons why I almost never bothered with iTS. This way, people can put their money where their mouths are and show whether and how much the broader market cares.
  • Reply 56 of 64
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

I would say the problem with iTunes DRM is its totally locked-in nature. It only plays on Apple's iTunes, Apple's iPod, Apple's AppleTV...and it will only play on authorized computers or synced iPods. If I take that file to someone else's computer, it's pretty useless.

Yes, support only for Apple players is ridiculous, but there's really not much point in putting it in someone else's computer unless you're giving them an illegal copy.

I think there should be a difference between physical CDs and data streams - CDs can be shared by passing on the CD to a friend, and music as a data stream for personal use only. Sites like Demonoid and Oink use the lack of DRM in most material to distribute millions of albums illegally each week, and that's bad for all music, especially since most of what's traded is not "superstar" type artists...
  • Reply 57 of 64
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

I think there should be a difference between physical CDs and data streams - CDs can be shared by passing on the CD to a friend, and music as a data stream for personal use only. Sites like Demonoid and Oink use the lack of DRM in most material to distribute millions of albums illegally each week, and that's bad for all music, especially since most of what's traded is not "superstar" type artists...

Trading can be bad for music, but DRM isn't going to stop that trading unless you take it to draconian levels.

I would be surprised if the trading distribution doesn't follow the Billboard charts relatively closely.
  • Reply 58 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

EMI will never be the first to release DRM. Remember? They were the first to add "Copy Controlled" to compact discs!!! And they're still manufacturing discs that have it!

EMI is the worst offender when it comes to DRM. They won't be so easy to repent.

WRONGGGGGGG

this great news to be honest, funny was rerading only thismorning that billy gates is starting to see things steves way RE DRM as well.... kinda funny how he's always a few steps behind...
  • Reply 59 of 64
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

EMI will never be the first to release DRM. Remember? They were the first to add "Copy Controlled" to compact discs!!! And they're still manufacturing discs that have it!

EMI is the worst offender when it comes to DRM. They won't be so easy to repent.

• Reply 60 of 64
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yeah. It's kind of weird that he would say that the day before the announcement.