Apple sells 100 millionth iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple said Monday that the 100 millionth iPod has been sold, making the iPod the fastest selling music player in history.

The first iPod was sold five and a half years ago, in November 2001, and since then Apple has introduced more than 10 new iPod models, including five generations of iPod, two generations of iPod mini, two generations of iPod nano and two generations of iPod shuffle.

The players, along with iTunes and the iTunes online music store, have forever altered the landscape of the music industry and how music lovers acquire, manage and listen to their music.

?At this historic milestone, we want to thank music lovers everywhere for making iPod such an incredible success,? said Steve Jobs, Apple?s CEO. ?iPod has helped millions of people around the world rekindle their passion for music, and we?re thrilled to be a part of that.?

The iPod has also sparked an unprecedented ecosystem of over 4,000 accessories made specifically for the iPod that range from fashionable cases to speaker systems, and more than 70 percent of 2007-model US automobiles currently offer iPod connectivity.

?Without the iPod, the digital music age would have been defined by files and folders instead of songs and albums,? said John Mayer, GRAMMY Award-winning singer-songwriter and guitarist. ?Though the medium of music has changed, the iPod experience has kept the spirit of what it means to be a music lover alive."

Every iPod sold by Apple features seamless integration with iTunes 7. Meanwhile, the iTunes Store features the world?s largest catalog with over five million songs, 350 television shows and over 400 movies. It has sold over 2.5 billion songs, 50 million TV shows and over 1.3 million movies, making it the world?s most popular online music, TV and movie store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple said Monday that the 100 millionth iPod has been sold, making the iPod the fastest selling music player in history.

Has Apple now sold more iPods than the total number of computers it sold in its entire history? Consumer electronics is where the growth is at for this company.
  • Reply 2 of 66
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

Has Apple now sold more iPods than the total number of computers it sold in its entire history? Consumer electronics is where the growth is at for this company.

Well, when they start selling $79 computers, I'm sure they'll catch up to the iPod in terms of sales...
  • Reply 3 of 66
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    can you believed they sold 20GB ipods at the beginning for $499 and they could not keep enough on the shelfs am willing to bet they will sell over 10 million iphones by the end of the year i mean who the heck would want another smart phone, i personally llisted my on ebay already before its to late, because who would want it seriously ?
  • Reply 4 of 66
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    It would be nice if the news sites directly linked to the PR piece that they are quoting:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/04/09ipod.html

The article didn't mention that Apple's front page has this information, it even links to the press release.
  • Reply 5 of 66
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Apple makes this announcement on a Monday? Hmmm.....

I wonder if we'll be getting a new iPod or some new iTS goodies tomorrow or next Tuesday. Like maybe:

* "The Sopranos." Warner Brothers has other shows in the store but still nothing from HBO, and the new season started last night.

* The Beatles. Steve Jobs said at the EMI announcement that he "wishes he knew" when the Beatles were coming. He knows.

* Warner Brothers, Sony and Fox movies. All three have content in the TV store but no movies.

* HD movies. Apple TV is screaming for HD content.
  • Reply 6 of 66
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

can you believed they sold 20GB ipods at the beginning for $499 and they could not keep enough on the shelfs am willing to bet they will sell over 10 million iphones by the end of the year

The very first iPod was 5GB and sold for $399, a later update had added a model, 10GB @ $499. There was a 20GB / $499 iPod about a year after initial release. The 10 millionth iPod didn't sell until three years after the initial release, that's about when the product started to take off. The total was about 1.5M at the 18 month mark. The full size iPod wasn't the best selling model except when it was the only choice. Later, when there was a choice, the best selling model was the mini, then the nano, that's when they started hitting the price point for mainstream acceptance.
  • Reply 7 of 66
    fuyutsukifuyutsuki Posts: 293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

?Without the iPod, the digital music age would have been defined by files and folders instead of songs and albums,? said John Mayer, GRAMMY Award-winning singer-songwriter and guitarist.

Hear hear!

I remember the old Napster / WinAMP days. Oh and what ripping CD's was like before iTunes. YUCK! I'm as glad for the iPod/iTunes ecosystem in some ways as I am for my four years and counting on the Mac itself. They really brought some sense to what was already a seething mass of chaos. And in doing so popularised it and made it real.

Congratulations on a job well done.
  • Reply 8 of 66
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    Oh great! Now we can expect a stock dip.....
  • Reply 9 of 66
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

Apple sold over 60 million Macs between 1990 - 2006
  • Reply 10 of 66
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    So that means this last quarter they sold 11-12 million. That's 39.5% over last year this time.
  • Reply 11 of 66
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by willrob View Post

So that means this last quarter they sold 11-12 million. That's 39.5% over last year this time.

How did you figure that?
  • Reply 12 of 66
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The very first iPod was 5GB and sold for $399, a later update had added a model, 10GB @ $499. There was a 20GB / $499 iPod about a year after initial release. The 10 millionth iPod didn't sell until three years after the initial release, that's about when the product started to take off. The total was about 1.5M at the 18 month mark. The full size iPod wasn't the best selling model except when it was the only choice. Later, when there was a choice, the best selling model was the mini, then the nano, that's when they started hitting the price point for mainstream acceptance.

but the point is that they sold them real good, with out a problem
  • Reply 13 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

How did you figure that?

Because a quarter ago they were approaching 90 million iPods?
  • Reply 14 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

Because a quarter ago they were approaching 90 million iPods?

And what does that have to do with the number of Macs sold?
  • Reply 15 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

And what does that have to do with the number of Macs sold?

Willrob wasn't talking about Macs. Why are you quoting him if you're not responding to him?
  • Reply 16 of 66
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    In related news, Microsoft shipped its hundredth Zune.
  • Reply 17 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willrob View Post

I keep a spreadsheet on iPod unit sales and I calculated that they had sold 88.7 million as of the end of 2006 so that means 11.3 million so far this year. This press release is out today which probably means some of those were sold last week which would not make the March quarter. Including last week, there have been 14 weeks so far this year so 11.3 million suggests a run rate of 807,000 per week. Not sure if the week before Easter would be an above average or below average week but we are probalby looking at around 10.5 million for the March quarter. That is within the range of analyst estimates but in the lower half of the range. The stock could be trading down because of that but there have also been some concerns about March Q units with one analyst recently dropping his estimate to 10.3 million. So overall, I'd call it a neutral event but it is good to know that there won't be a negative surprise on units especiallya fter the ridiculous 21 million units in the December quarter.

Where the surprise could exist is on ASP or margin. ASP will be down sharply again year over year due to the popularity of the shuffle but given trends in memory prices, margins should be be very good.
  • Reply 18 of 66
    Where do I send the traditional congratulatory singing telegram? Should I go with the Candystripers or the ever popular man-in-diaper?
  • Reply 19 of 66
    proud to say i am responsible for 3 out of 100,000,000 ipods sold

but seriously, i have always wanted to have "the ultimate" music collection and i know it would be close to impossible to find all the songs i like, and too expensive to buy considering that i would have to buy whole albums to get the songs i want, and a hassle to store all the cd's, so itunes has made it possible, it has allowed consumers like me to simply click, collect and enjoy what would have otherwise been a huge effort to achieve, your the man jobs
  • Reply 20 of 66
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

can you believed they sold 20GB ipods at the beginning for $499 and they could not keep enough on the shelfs am willing to bet they will sell over 10 million iphones by the end of the year i mean who the heck would want another smart phone, i personally llisted my on ebay already before its to late, because who would want it seriously ?

Well said!