Apple TV/Slingbox lash-up, Apple Corps exit, Microsoft at crossroads

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The creators of the Slingbox media hub have confirmed they hope to bring Apple TV to mobile phones. Meanwhile, two of Apple, Inc.'s longest rivals in computing and music are facing a critical moment in their lives.

Slingbox to beam Apple TV to cellphones

While Apple has just managed to stream iTunes Store media to TVs, Sling Media today revealed that it's devising a way broadcast that content to mobile phones.

By modifying the software support of its Slingbox devices, which stream music and video from cable boxes and other receivers, the company said it would let anyone using its SlingPlayer phone app view that content on the road using a fast cellular connection such as AT&T's EDGE or Sprint's EVDO.

The modification was still in the testing phase but was all but certain to appear in the near future. "It is definitely something we will support," Sling PR spokesman Brian Jaquet said.

Journalists were quick to leap on the possibility of cellphone viewing, raising the possibility that Apple might have already recognized the potential link between iTunes, its media hub, and its phone. "When the iPhone ships later this year," asked Wired's Charlie Sorrel, "could this be the next part of the plan? ITunes streaming directly to iPhone?"

Aspinall takes final curtain at Apple Corps

Just as Apple's music environment is set to grow, its longstanding challenger in Britain is losing one of its best-known personalities: Neil Aspinall, who headed The Beatles' famous music label Apple Corps, announced on Tuesday that he would step down from the post after 40 years.

"He was there since the inception of the band in Liverpool and has meant so much to the Beatles' family for all these years and still does," the company said today. "However, he has decided to move on."

Aspinall had devoted virtually all his life to the record shop, helping The Beatles release their last few albums before their breakup and ensuring their long-term fame decades later.

This dedicated stance was often believed by many to have presented some of the greatest resistance to digital music and Apple, Inc. in particular, having held out on CD reissues until 1987 and embroiling itself in years-long feud with the computer company that only ended in late 2006 with a settlement.

Microsoft reaching a critical moment?

Another historical opponent of the iPod maker, Microsoft, has also been confronted with its own sea change over the past several days.

Financial institution Goldman Sachs on Tuesday pulled Microsoft from its "conviction" list, an exclusive group that Goldman Sachs reserves for its hottest properties. The latter kept the Windows developer on its "buy" list but said that the market dynamics had made it less relevant in the face of Web 2.0 apps, particularly from Google.

"Google is a competitor unlike any Microsoft has seen before," said Goldman Sachs analyst Sarah Friar. "Google?s dominance in search, deep pockets, and 'cool' factor make it a serious competitor to Microsoft as it strives to obsolete the desktop operating system."

The move was relatively timid in comparison to observations from one venture capitalist over the weekend, however. Y Combinator's Paul Graham caused a stir on the web by all but burying the software giant, saying it had been "killed" by web technology -- including some of its own. It was no longer the darling of cutting-edge startup firms and users, he said, as many of them had moved on to Linux or Macs as their systems of choice.

"Apple has come back from the dead in a way that is extremely rare in technology," he wrote. "Their victory is so complete that I'm now surprised when I come across a computer running Windows. Nearly all the people we fund at Y Combinator use Apple laptops."

Apple posts Apple TV ad in HD

After a short delay, Apple today posted a streaming version of its new Apple TV ad to its website.

The ad, which began airing Monday, hopes to draw a connection between iTunes, the iPod, and the new media hub in one near-continuous shot.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Very interesting...

I wonder if that means digital beatles sooner than later (if ever...)

i don't understand the need for appletv content on cellphones, but i don't use many of those gadgets anyway, so not my forte to complain about.

And what goes up must come down for Microsoft...

and last but [maybe?] not least, the ad is up (altho the link Ireland provided is better...), and they are definitely trying to show the connection. The bottom of the apple main page shows the imac, the ipod, the man on the couch and then the tv. over and over and over.

oh. so much posting today. good night.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Journalists were quick to leap on the possibility of cellphone viewing, raising the possibility that Apple might have already recognized the potential link between iTunes, its media hub, and its phone. "When the iPhone ships later this year," asked Wired's Charlie Sorrel, "could this be the next part of the plan? ITunes streaming directly to iPhone?"

I've been saying this is the perfect integration for Apple since Slingbox first arrived and the iPhone rumours first started.

Connect iPhone to iTunes on a Mac. The idea of using the AppleTV is absurd as it's just another satellite to the Mac hub.

What is needed to make this work:

1) iTunes version with integrated Quicktime Streaming Server

2) iPhone

3) .Mac account.

The .Mac account will auto-connect between your iTunes account at home and your iPhone. There will be no need to manage the complex setup needed with Slingbox and remote desktop software alike. It would make the connection using .Mac in a similar way that P2P networks manage hosts, except your .Mac account only has to manage your devices. Once .Mac verifies the config settings and devices are paired then you have direct streaming access to your iTunes content.

I think this is the killer app that will truly set the iPhone apart from the others.

Quote:

"Apple has come back from the dead in a way that is extremely rare in technology," he wrote. "Their victory is so complete that I'm now surprised when I come across a computer running Windows. Nearly all the people we fund at Y Combinator use Apple laptops."

That rocks!
  • Reply 3 of 41
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Well, he's surprised to see those few Windows users in the circle HE works in, which is cool, but he's surely not surprised to find Windows lingering in the world at large
  • Reply 4 of 41
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    That shot where the iPod pans into the scene is so amaturish it looks like a kid from the Art Institute shot it.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

That shot where the iPod pans into the scene is so amaturish it looks like a kid from the Art Institute shot it.

It most certainly does not. I thought it was well done. The DoF (depth of field) changes to the iPod and back, and very smooth motions overall.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I've been saying this is the perfect integration for Apple since Slingbox first arrived and the iPhone rumours first started.

Connect iPhone to iTunes on a Mac. The idea of using the AppleTV is absurd as it's just another satellite to the Mac hub.

What is needed to make this work:

1) iTunes version with integrated Quicktime Streaming Server

2) iPhone

3) .Mac account.

The .Mac account will auto-connect between your iTunes account at home and your iPhone. There will be no need to manage the complex setup needed with Slingbox and remote desktop software alike. It would make the connection using .Mac in a similar way that P2P networks manage hosts, except your .Mac account only has to manage your devices. Once .Mac verifies the config settings and devices are paired then you have direct streaming access to your iTunes content.

I think this is the killer app that will truly set the iPhone apart from the others.

That rocks!

I really like your idea. This setup also eliminates one criticism of

the iPhone, namely that it has too little storage. If a person could

stream content from their iTunes at home to their iPhone, not

much storage would be necessary in the phone itself.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josa92 View Post

It most certainly does not. I thought it was well done. The DoF (depth of field) changes to the iPod and back, and very smooth motions overall.

Yes, it looked fine. What didn't register at first was that in each room, it's the same kid watching. Maybe if he looked more distinctive from the back? Anyway, why didn't the HDTV look like Lego bricks (if the in-store reports are to be believed)?
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I really like your idea. This setup also eliminates one criticism of

the iPhone, namely that it has too little storage. If a person could

stream content from their iTunes at home to their iPhone, not

much storage would be necessary in the phone itself.

More storage onboard is more practical. Otherwise you rely on at&t's network to stream your content and you incur more network usage fees. This makes no sense.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I know, the irony-- Apple posts an HD version of their ad that looks great on my computer and which is capable of depicting a beautiful version of School of Rock on a nice big display, while in fact selling low res low bit rate version of that movie which looks lousy on big displays.

It's like the ad is the fantasy version of what they had in mind, and by God they're just going to keep acting like that's what's really being offered.

Apple, it's like I don't even know you anymore.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Well, he's surprised to see those few Windows users in the circle HE works in, which is cool, but he's surely not surprised to find Windows lingering in the world at large

By the circle "he" works in, he means entrepreneurs and engineers at tech startups. Nobody important, just all the people changing the future.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

More storage onboard is more practical. Otherwise you rely on at&t's network to stream your content and you incur more network usage fees. This makes no sense.

I have nearly a TB of media, I don't foresee that much storage hitting the iPhone until, at least, 2008. \

I currently use Slingbox to watch my DVRed content remotely. It's great! If Apple could match that feature with it's usual simplicity I would certainly signup for .Mac again. I already expect Apple to already be adding remote sync services for other features of the iPhone via .Mac.

As for data rates, I pay a flat fee so there are no additional network usage charges. The only thing making this difficult is the lack of HSDPA.

Also, many carriers are already offering streaming TV. Apple would be wise to take advantage of its current software and services infrastructures already in place to capitalize on the new form of revenue and retain a stronger hold on its current marketshare.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have nearly a TB of media, I don't foresee that much storage hitting the iPhone until, at least, 2008. \

I currently use Slingbox to watch my DVRed content remotely. It's great! If Apple could match that feature with it's usual simplicity I would certainly signup for .Mac again. I already expect Apple to already be adding remote sync services for other features of the iPhone via .Mac.

As for data rates, I pay a flat fee so there are no additional network usage charges. The only thing making this difficult is the lack of HSDPA.

Also, many carriers are already offering streaming TV. Apple would be wise to take advantage of its current software and services infrastructures already in place to capitalize on the new form of revenue and retain a stronger hold on its current marketshare.

What's the value of the company that makes Slingbox? Apple would be wise to buy them out before Microsoft or Google does.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

It's like the ad is the fantasy version of what they had in mind, and by God they're just going to keep acting like that's what's really being offered.

Apple, it's like I don't even know you anymore.

Welcome to the real world. If you shake yourself real hard, you'll realise that Apple's Mac marketing is just as hyberbolic. But interestingly, not as good. I much prefer this style of advertisement over Apple's "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" and the "switcher" series of old. Hopefully they'll do some OS X 10.5 advertising in a similar manner.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Welcome to the real world. If you shake yourself real hard, you'll realise that Apple's Mac marketing is just as hyberbolic. But interestingly, not as good. I much prefer this style of advertisement over Apple's "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" and the "switcher" series of old. Hopefully they'll do some OS X 10.5 advertising in a similar manner.

Well, it's one thing to overstate the value proposition of your product, or wax rhapsodic about features, etc.

It's kinda another when you are selling what amounts to a picture, and do so by presenting a picture of that picture which is in fact of much better quality than what you have to sell.

I mean, that kind of gets into selling a Toyota RAV with pictures of an Infiniti FX territory.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Quote:

Financial institution Goldman Sachs on Tuesday pulled Microsoft from its "conviction" list, an exclusive group that Goldman Sachs reserves for its hottest properties. The latter kept the Windows developer on its "buy" list but said that the market dynamics had made it less relevant in the face of Web 2.0 apps, particularly from Google........."Apple has come back from the dead in a way that is extremely rare in technology," he wrote. "Their victory is so complete that I'm now surprised when I come across a computer running Windows. Nearly all the people we fund at Y Combinator use Apple laptops."

AAPL's P/E is 41.5; GOOG's 46.9; MSFT's, 23.7. The fact that the market values every dollar of earnings generated by Apple 75% more than the same dollar generated by Microsoft (100% more in the case of Google) says it all.

It simply comes down to the market's perception of who can can create value from grabbing and sustaining future growth opportunities.

GS is following the market's signals, and belatedly. (Of course, this also implies that Apple and Google had better perform to meet these lofty expectations).
  • Reply 16 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

AAPL's P/E is 41.5; GOOG's 46.9; MSFT's, 23.7. The fact that the market values every dollar of earnings generated by Apple 75% more than the same dollar generated by Microsoft (100% more in the case of Google) says it all.

It simply comes down to the market's perception of who can can create value from grabbing and sustaining future growth opportunities.

GS is following the market's signals, and belatedly. (Of course, this also implies that Apple and Google had better perform to meet these lofty expectations).

look at the volume of shares. apples and oranges.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

By the circle "he" works in, he means entrepreneurs and engineers at tech startups. Nobody important, just all the people changing the future.

I work in the Valley at a tech startup, amongst entrepreneurs and engineers, and the only ones using Macs are our two product designers (my boss and myself). In my experience, there are a LOT of important people still using Winfuck, not to mention IT managers.

As much as I hate Windows, apps that require a lot of power (ie, video processing at high resolution) still require a local app written in something other than js and/or flash. And Apple has a corner on video distro for OS X, so that leaves a lot of opportunity for new startup developing for Windows.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Well, it's one thing to overstate the value proposition of your product, or wax rhapsodic about features, etc.

It's kinda another when you are selling what amounts to a picture, and do so by presenting a picture of that picture which is in fact of much better quality than what you have to sell.

I mean, that kind of gets into selling a Toyota RAV with pictures of an Infiniti FX territory.

But the ad isn't for the content, its for the apple tv, you can get a high quality version of school of rock from anywhere you want.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevorlsciact View Post

But the ad isn't for the content, its for the apple tv, you can get a high quality version of school of rock from anywhere you want.

That's a bit of a stretch, as Apple TV is clearly being marketed as an adjunct to the iTMS, and School of Rock just happens to be one of the limited selection of movies being sold there. If you look at the ATV page at Apple, there's really no doubt that that's the idea.

Sure, we can pretend that they're showing us a nice rip of School or Rock from a DVD, but, come on.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What's the value of the company that makes Slingbox? Apple would be wise to buy them out before Microsoft or Google does.

Apple, unlike many other companies, constantly allows valuable programs and technology to slide by.

I really hope that they have a specific plan for all of that money they've accumulated, otherwise, it's being wasted, interest or not.