Apple delays Leopard release until October

Comments

• Reply 61 of 504
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xenocobramac View Post

I am truly disappointed. Apple is right at the cusp of being able to make real inroads in the corporate community. I have been able to get my firm to consider macs for the first time. This is a bush league error that signals a tipping point that Apple is not ready for prime time.

To blame the IPhone is beyond the pale. It does not make good business sense or good corporate PR logic. Really unbelievable.

And for IT managers everywhere, it makes it near impossible to argue to your corporate officers that Apple is a viable competitor to the business PC when they appear to be just another electronic toy company. And their own statements support that sentiment.

Mark this day, Apple will not live it down for a while.

• Reply 62 of 504
    Oh dear!!

• Reply 63 of 504
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    All I've ever wanted is a darn spreadsheet.
  • Reply 64 of 504
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

Well they have me really really really wanting to know what those new features are.

We just got one: release in October. \
  • Reply 65 of 504
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    in the end it's all about quality. can you imagine the outcry if apple delivered crap after all that time? i'd much rather have a stable OS than flashy garbage. screw the investors - it's really not about them when it comes to my livelyhood. i doubt anyone would seriously be looking at abandoning the mac in favour of vista over a three month delay. it is however unfortunate that we need to listen to apple's propaganda machine denying delays when clearly they must have known this was in the works. i guess thats the work press secretaries get paid for...
  • Reply 66 of 504
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elbay View Post

Hate to think how many people will now be buying Vista instead.

Euhm, I wouldn't advice you to buy Vista right now. Their very first service pack will probably be released around Leopard time That is October for you

And if you do wanna buy Vista today! Great!! Save your copy for Leopard so you get the best of both worlds!!
  • Reply 67 of 504
    xsmixsmi Posts: 139member
    I owe you guys an apology. Crow taste good this time of year...Not so bad news for me however seeing as I will not be an early adopter anyway. Waiting for 10.5.1 as usual. I will post an apology in the other thread as well. Although the reasons for the delay don't match a delay til October is a delay til October.
  • Reply 67 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cougar View Post

Talk about a bad year for Macs. 2007 has brought...new Mac Pros, and not even an upgrade to the Mac Pro lineup, just one new model with the same old graphics cards. Still no iLife. Still no Core2Duo Mac Mini.

A fitting year for Apple to drop "Computer" from their name. The secret features better be amazing, or steve is going to have a riot on his hands come WWDC.

Thanks for the great synopsis. I could not describe it better.
  • Reply 69 of 504
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

Very disappointing. AAPL shares will get hit tomorrow.

Great news. I'll be picking up another handful after the short-sellers irrationally knock AAPL down... hope it drops to around 65 to 70!... if it does, probably buy another 10-20 thousand worth.
  • Reply 70 of 504
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    How the hell do you plan your hardware purchases around "10.5?" It's an operating system that was barely in beta!!! What kind of idiot would base a purchase off this? Seriously how many times have OSes been delayed in the last 12 years? Hundreds?

Grow up.
  • Reply 71 of 504
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    OK, guys. It is not good news of course. But try to take a positive look on this. Apple is putting a lot of new stuff into Leopard. Many of the features are under-the-hood improvements, but significant ones indeed. From the publicly (not necessarily officially) available info we have so far Leopard server will also see significant improvements.

Regarding the reports that the seeds builds are buggy and crashing, look at this the other way: if something is crashing, it is a work in progress and there are good chances that it will be improved If it is not touched, it should work.

I don't believe there are earth-shocking top-secret features. This delay shows that most likely Apple was not ready to show everything at WWDC 2006. But don't expect something more than ZFS and new Apple digital hub features/applications targeted towards iPhone and Apple TV.

As for the reason - yes, it a human resources I believe. During the last year their software team had to manage:

\t- Intel transition (it was not easy for Apple to make it easier for third party developers)

\t- Apple TV rollout and related MacOS X shrinking

\t- iPhone - further MacOS shrinking and specific apps

I hope that Leopard is worth waiting indeed, and we will forgive Apple the current delay!

P.S. No, I am not working for Apple, just trying to cool you down, and myself too
  • Reply 72 of 504
    Heh, I still hold 100,000 shares. 10,000 of those were at about $14.00 while the other shares were around $60.00

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Great news. I'll be picking up another handful after the short-sellers irrationally knock AAPL down... hope it drops to around 65 to 70!... if it does, probably buy another 10-20 thousand worth.

• Reply 73 of 504
    Well... I'm not so bothered about the delay in Leopard's release... the only thing for me is Boot Camp... this is timed beta software, due to expire at least in part in September - if we don't get Leopard (and the 'full' version of Boot Camp) till October now, what's going to happen to those of us heathens running Windows on Boot Camp on our Macs?
  • Reply 74 of 504
    o_rlyo_rly Posts: 27member
    ARGGGHHHHHH. This makes me want to punch a baby.

Way to sh** on everyone who is waiting for new hardware. This makes any leopard specific hardware features seem pretty unlikely. I just hope that that if there is new hardware soon they offer free upgrades...

And even if blaming the delay on iPhone is just smoke and mirrors, the fact is that's what they're blaming it on. So we're all justified in hating iPhone right now...

Apple Inc. blows. I want Apple Computer back.
  • Reply 75 of 504
    Sounds to me like Apple needs to hire more people. They also need to seriously upgrade their hardware - a CPU upgrade in the Mac Pro with no other improvements isn't impressing me, though I'll buy one because I need one.

As for Leopard, all I can say is that it had better be the best OS by far that has ever shipped. I'm tired of all of this secrecy regarding these features. By not telling people about them they just delay everything because developers can't utilize something they don't know about.

I can't believe Steve screwed it all up like this. Perhaps he needs to spend less time out on the golf course and more time cracking the whip!

P.S. The photo-op of Steve at the ball field using he iPhone was obviously just a publicity stunt if the thing needed so many engineers that they had to borrow from the Leopard team.
  • Reply 76 of 504
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail View Post

Heh, I still hold 100,000 shares. 10,000 of those were at about $14.00 while the other shares were around $60.00

• Reply 77 of 504
    So Apple is not viable because of a 3 month delay, however Microsoft is viable for your company when it released details about the OS, then completely changed it, stripping it of all good features, then delayed it 1.....2......3.... years...

Glad I don't work with your logic.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xenocobramac View Post

I am truly disappointed. Apple is right at the cusp of being able to make real inroads in the corporate community. I have been able to get my firm to consider macs for the first time. This is a bush league error that signals a tipping point that Apple is not ready for prime time.

To blame the IPhone is beyond the pale. It does not make good business sense or good corporate PR logic. Really unbelievable.

And for IT managers everywhere, it makes it near impossible to argue to your corporate officers that Apple is a viable competitor to the business PC when they appear to be just another electronic toy company. And their own statements support that sentiment.

Mark this day, Apple will not live it down for a while.

• Reply 78 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

in the end it's all about quality. can you imagine the outcry if apple delivered crap after all that time?

The point was to have Leopard released in Spring (anytime now) AND be of high quality.
  • Reply 79 of 504
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

What does this mean for iLife?

The new iLife will drop it's yearly naming scheme for good, and become part of Leopard, iWork may very likely do the same.
  • Reply 80 of 504
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by atticusdsf View Post

this is bittersweet.

leopard getting delayed is *not* a good thing, especially as it makes them look like microsoft, and also because it means they're shifting their priorities to the iphone, which i predict will fall on it's ass.

however, i have an ADC membership and recently installed the leopard beta. it sucks balls. it's buggy as hell, and there are absolutely no features to justify the price tag (assuming they continue to go with $129). spaces is nice, ichat is nice, time machine is nice.. but i don't think i'm gonna actually use them that often. hopefully this delay will give them time to include something worth selling.

?

Do you actually develop applications? It doesn't sound like it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by athletics68 View Post

Two words are all you need to describe this delay.... "BIG MISTAKE".

Tiger has negligable advantages over Vista, and now with Leopard's delay that's not changing any time soon. They'll lose market share as a result now and frankly they deserve it. Delaying an OS release for some phone is the worst thing they could do. iPhone will do ok in the marketplace, but not as well as they're hoping and banking. It has no features that smartphones out there already don't have.

You were doing well until the "it has no features that smartphones out there don't already have"

So how long have you owned your iPhone

Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail View Post

How the hell do you plan your hardware purchases around "10.5?" It's an operating system that was barely in beta!!! What kind of idiot would base a purchase off this? Seriously how many times have OSes been delayed in the last 12 years? Hundreds?

Grow up.

They haven't. The planned the Mac Pro Octo around the availability of the 3Ghz procs. Centrino Pro doesn't come out until early May and Penryn/Stoakley isn't due until Q3. Apple has delayed "no" hardware because of Leopard. I don't know where you got that idea from.

I'm shocked but not worried about these events. If Leopard comes in October or a bit before they catch a bit of the Holiday shopping rush. I think they'll look to beat October however. I don't mind that they are putting resources into the iPhone. Once it's up and running and doing well it'll be a large enough success. Tiger isn't a bad OS by any stretch and waiting a few more months isn't going to kill anyone.