Is Our Technology Killing Us?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

No no no no no no NO NO! This is a "cased cloese" situation. Keeping these rumors alive is the stupid thing to do.

"rumors?" I'd say it's a lot more than that.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

"rumors?" I'd say it's a lot more than that.

Yes, Lots more.

Powerlines and Cancer - Medical Colleg of Wisconsin Check the "What's New" link.

Power Lines and Cancer: Nothing to Fear - John W. Farley, Ph.D.

Fear of frying: power lines and cancer - BMJ British Medical Association

"Those in the media who believe that high voltage power lines and pylons cause cancer in children are like the plucky, armless black knight in Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail: they just won't give up."
  • Reply 24 of 38
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Technology is killing us in other ways. Witness a high school friend i found on digg of all places:

http://www.digg.com/videos/comedy/Th...ing_Break_EVER

LAME
  • Reply 25 of 38
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    I am with SDW2001 and MarcUK on this.

It is "ALWAYS" good to ask questions and not rule anything out.

My father was a master electrician in the old days before working for Texas Instruments and getting into real estate. My father has always known power lines cause cancer dependending on how close one is and how long one is exposed to the EMF.

In Dallas off I-75 my father told me to take a look at the power lines going into the Texas Instruments building. It looks like enough electricity to power a medium sized city.

One of my best friends father has been diagnosed with bone cancer which cannot be cured. For about 10 years he lived in a home situated just under massive power lines.

connection? I have no proof but let me tell you I will not live or work near them.

With the bees I think we need to evaluate everything we can until we find out what has happened.

Respectfully

Fellowship
  • Reply 26 of 38
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    No, we are killing us. Technology is no excuse for being irresponsible.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Yes, Lots more.

Powerlines and Cancer - Medical Colleg of Wisconsin Check the "What's New" link.

Power Lines and Cancer: Nothing to Fear - John W. Farley, Ph.D.

Fear of frying: power lines and cancer - BMJ British Medical Association

"Those in the media who believe that high voltage power lines and pylons cause cancer in children are like the plucky, armless black knight in Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail: they just won't give up."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ert/article.do
  • Reply 28 of 38
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

IMy father was a master electrician in the old days before working for Texas Instruments and getting into real estate. My father has always known power lines cause cancer dependending on how close one is and how long one is exposed to the EMF.

In Dallas off I-75 my father told me to take a look at the power lines going into the Texas Instruments building. It looks like enough electricity to power a medium sized city.

One of my best friends father has been diagnosed with bone cancer which cannot be cured. For about 10 years he lived in a home situated just under massive power lines.

connection? I have no proof but let me tell you I will not live or work near them.

My father was a watermellon grower - he died of a heart attack right after eating watermellon. We always knew that watermellon caused heart attacks, and this sinches it.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    From the World Health Organization:

Quote:

Mobile phones and their base stations

Mobile phones allow people to be within reach at all times. These low-power radiowave devices transmit and receive signals from a network of fixed low power base stations. Each base station provides coverage to a given area. Depending on the number of calls being handled, base stations may be from only a few hundred metres apart in major cities to several kilometres apart in rural areas.

Mobile phone base stations are usually mounted on the tops of buildings or on towers at heights of between 15 and 50 metres. The levels of transmissions from any particular base station are variable and depend on the number of calls and the callers' distance from the base station. Antennas emit a very narrow beam of radio waves which spreads out almost parallel to the ground. Therefore, radio frequency fields at ground level and in regions normally accessible to the public are many times below hazard levels. Guidelines would only be exceeded if a person were to approach to within a metre or two directly in front of the antennas. Until mobile phones became widely used, members of the public were mainly exposed to radio frequency emissions from radio and TV stations. Even today, the phone towers themselves add little to our total exposure, as signal strengths in places of public access are normally similar to or lower than those from distant radio and TV stations.

However, the user of a mobile phone is exposed to radio frequency fields much higher than those found in the general environment. Mobile phones are operated very close to the head. Therefore, rather than looking at the heating effect across the whole body, the distribution of absorbed energy in the head of the user must be determined. From sophisticated computer modeling and measurements using models of heads, it appears that the energy absorbed from a mobile phone is not in excess of current guidelines.

Concerns about other so-called non-thermal effects arising from exposure to mobile phone frequencies have also been raised. These include suggestions of subtle effects on cells that could have an effect on cancer development. Effects on electrically excitable tissues that may influence the function of the brain and nervous tissue have also been hypothesized. However, the overall evidence available to date does not suggest that the use of mobile phones has any detrimental effect on human health.

Quote:

What is the difference between non-ionizing electromagnetic fields and ionizing radiation?

Wavelength and frequency determine another important characteristic of electromagnetic fields: Electromagnetic waves are carried by particles called quanta. Quanta of higher frequency (shorter wavelength) waves carry more energy than lower frequency (longer wavelength) fields. Some electromagnetic waves carry so much energy per quantum that they have the ability to break bonds between molecules. In the electromagnetic spectrum, gamma rays given off by radioactive materials, cosmic rays and X-rays carry this property and are called 'ionizing radiation'. Fields whose quanta are insufficient to break molecular bonds are called 'non-ionizing radiation'. Man-made sources of electromagnetic fields that form a major part of industrialized life - electricity, microwaves and radio frequency fields ? are found at the relatively long wavelength and low frequency end of the electromagnetic spectrum and their quanta are unable to break chemical bonds.

Is there room for more research? Yes, but as things stand with today's knowledge, there isn't much to fear from consumer electronics. Considering the strength of some of the EM fields I was regularly exposed to in the military, a cell phone is the last thing I'd worry about hurting me...unless I was a salesman or such and used one 24/7.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

"..."

One billion times stronger than natural EM fields? Somebody didn't do their homework...
  • Reply 33 of 38
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Its a double edge sword. Technology is killing us and saving us at the same time. The question is will it lean one way soon?

Dave
  • Reply 34 of 38
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    http://www.latimes.com/news/la-sci-b...iewed-homepage

More evidence that points to a fungus that affects hives. This, a bee virus called iflaviruses, and and certain parasites look to be the major cause for the bee-pedemic.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    (Off the top of my head) there is an article about this in this weeks NS (paper version). It is speculated that it might also have something to do with a type of GM crop that was modified to expresses a certain protein that makes the crop resistant to attack, but that this protein is highly pathogenic to bees,

im sure it will be up online soon to link to.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Sammi Jo spotted in the wild (joking!)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1879
  • Reply 37 of 38
    franksargentfranksargent Posts: 4,694member

More MSM hyperbole!

For example, from the French CIRC Interphone effort (2007) see;

Mobile phone use and risk of glioma in 5 North European countries

Quote:

Public concern has been expressed about the possible adverse health effects of mobile telephones, mainly related to intracranial tumors. We conducted a population-based case-control study to investigate the relationship between mobile phone use and risk of glioma among 1,522 glioma patients and 3,301 controls. We found no evidence of increased risk of glioma related to regular mobile phone use (odds ratio, OR = 0.78, 95% confidence interval, CI: 0.68, 0.91). No significant association was found across categories with duration of use, years since first use, cumulative number of calls or cumulative hours of use. When the linear trend was examined, the OR for cumulative hours of mobile phone use was 1.006 (1.002, 1.010) per 100 hr, but no such relationship was found for the years of use or the number of calls. We found no increased risks when analogue and digital phones were analyzed separately. For more than 10 years of mobile phone use reported on the side of the head where the tumor was located, an increased OR of borderline statistical significance (OR = 1.39, 95% CI 1.01, 1.92, p trend 0.04) was found, whereas similar use on the opposite side of the head resulted in an OR of 0.98 (95% CI 0.71, 1.37). Although our results overall do not indicate an increased risk of glioma in relation to mobile phone use, the possible risk in the most heavily exposed part of the brain with long-term use needs to be explored further before firm conclusions can be drawn.

See also;

Electromagnetic radiation hazard

Wireless electronic devices and health

Mobile phone radiation and health

I'd be much more concerned with this aspect of mobile phone usage;

Mobile phones and driving safety

And if you consider all other known health risks we face everyday (easily numbering in the thousands), the so called EMF health "risks" are pretty much, not worth the time of day, IMHO!
  • Reply 38 of 38
    400,000 plus people a year killed by smoking, and people are concerned over cell phones?

CDC Fact sheet on smoking deaths:

Quote:

Cigarette smoking is the single most preventable cause of premature death in the United States. Each year, more than 400,000 Americans die from cigarette smoking. In fact, one in every five deaths in the United States is smoking related. Every year, smoking kills more than 276,000 men and 142,000 women.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

And if you consider all other known health risks we face everyday (easily numbering in the thousands), the so called EMF health "risks" are pretty much, not worth the time of day, IMHO!

I seem to remember a study I read in a magazine somewhere that said a microwave oven puts out something like 20 times the EM that a cell phone or WiFi puts out, can't find a link to support it right now though.