Microsoft to copy Apple once again - Zune Phone UI patent application

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    we are on page 2 and no one has mentioned the Open at Login -- Hide option.

OK:

1. click System Preferences

2. click accounts and choose your username

3. type in the admin username and password (b/c you know you haven't set yourself as able to administer the computer)

4. click on the Login Items tab and then click the + sign to add apps to open at login.

5. click the "hide' checkbox

6. lock again

7. move on.

what will happen is that your mail app and ical app will be open and hidden automatically when you log in.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Ok, you called me out and I can't resist. If the dead horse wasn't paraded around so idiotically, it wouldn't have to be beaten. The topic is very worthy of debate. Please try to engage in discussion rather than slandering participants. (Ah hell, who am i kidding, this is the internet. )

This thread is (was) the proper place to discuss status badges on icons. If you're not interested, then perhaps you shouldn't read the thread.

Just imagine, we could have been discussing how dynamic information is conveyed in icons and the dock. Status badges aren't going away so good usage guidelines are imperative. Why lobby against discussion on the topic?

I haven't slandered anyone, let alone you. Why don't you quit making sh*t up?

That I don't buy your points isn't slanderous. That you kept arguing in the face of already implemented solutions that do what you ask isn't slanderous. That noting your dogged resistance is flogging a dead horse isn't slanderous. That's 'effing obvious!

The fact I posted exactly how Apple has already implemented the exact functionality Ireland requested, already in the app and not requiring a separate widget, should have been your first clue we had a solved issue. Well before you ever entered the thread and manufactured a fray.

Ireland posed a problem. Several of us have posted the incredibly simple ways that Apple had already given him what he asked for. Those solutions also make your icon issue disappear from your machine forever. But that's not good enough apparently.

Given that, several of us have posted multiple times on how this isn't really a problem, mainly because of the previously posted <sarcasm>insanely difficult workarounds like launching an app and then closing the main window</sarcasm> to save screen real estate. Since then you have insulted my attitude, called another member a militant, then accuse me of slander. Bravo sir! I applaud you ability to bend words to your will!

You have twisted terminology and context outside of its normally accepted set of uses to make your ever weaker replies. Not a great way to win an argument but hey, you seem to want to make that your style.

That's just beating the dead horse. No possibility of moving the argument forward because it's well done and over. Just more pounding in stark abject denial that maybe the solution existed before you even began. You just don't want to admit it or use it.

Fine, have your own personal issues.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icibaqu View Post

we are on page 2 and no one has mentioned the Open at Login -- Hide option.

OK:

1. click System Preferences

2. click accounts and choose your username

3. type in the admin username and password (b/c you know you haven't set yourself as able to administer the computer)

4. click on the Login Items tab and then click the + sign to add apps to open at login.

5. click the "hide' checkbox

6. lock again

7. move on.

what will happen is that your mail app and ical app will be open and hidden automatically when you log in.

Only problem with that is the long standing bug that refuses to leave Mail.app hidden on initial launch. The bug is Mail launches and hides, then once the network interface is up, Mail does it's initial connect to get mail and part of that forces the Mail window to the front of everything. You still need to re-hide or close the window manually.

In contrast, if you just launch Mail.app & iCal and close the window(s), you get all the same functionality, but don't have to pay a window buffering penalty in RAM for the hidden window. Lowering the resource overhead was one of Ireland's original issues and hiding doesn't help much there.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham View Post

OMFG. i really do hate microsoft. i really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really hate microsoft. THINK OF YOUR OWN DAMN IDEAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fukin wankers. i realy am annoyed now. fukers....

Umm... calm down.
  • Reply 45 of 47
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Umm... calm down.

ha.. lol
  • Reply 46 of 47
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

This thread is (was) the proper place to discuss status badges on icons. If you're not interested, then perhaps you shouldn't read the thread.

Just imagine, we could have been discussing how dynamic information is conveyed in icons and the dock. Status badges aren't going away so good usage guidelines are imperative. Why lobby against discussion on the topic?

A discussion about bad icons is "on topic" for a thread named "Microsoft to copy Apple once again - Zune Phone UI patent application"?

It wouldn't be an AI thread if it wasn't off topic but its pretty bizzare to state that this thread is the "proper" place for whatever off-topic topic you wanted to discuss...

Vinea
  • Reply 47 of 47
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

A discussion about bad icons is "on topic" for a thread named "Microsoft to copy Apple once again - Zune Phone UI patent application"?

It wouldn't be an AI thread if it wasn't off topic but its pretty bizzare to state that this thread is the "proper" place for whatever off-topic topic you wanted to discuss...

That's one interpretation. The discussion about Apple's icon activity is related to the patent, because Microsoft's patent is about active icons. The thread topic has been shown to be false because the patent was filed before Apple introduced it's phone, which has active icons.