Looking for a good backup program

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IU SRT8 View Post

I am new to backing up my hard drive and have never done it before. But I realize how critical it is so that you dont lose any important files/music/movies the list goes on. My question is that can I use SuperDuper! to backup my hard drive to my iPod, which i enabled disk use? Right now all I am doing is manually dragging important files over when i need them. Will SuperDuper! simplify and update everything for me automatically?

Probably can, I have not used SD with an iPod but I wouldn't think it would be any different from any other mountable drive. Depending on how often and the amount of data being backed up you are going to kill that drive.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Superduper, or Time Machine.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I use SuperDuper and it saved me once after a total hard drive failure.

Gotta say though, that I am really looking forward to seeing what Time Machine is all about.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcmac View Post

I use SuperDuper and it saved me once after a total hard drive failure.

Gotta say though, that I am really looking forward to seeing what Time Machine is all about.

You'll soon be looking backward
  • Reply 25 of 25
    I find Time Machine to be good enough for my purpose. As AppleInsider's Road to Mac OS X Leopard: Time Machine explains, it is not very high on features. All you can do are (1) set which disk/partition will act as a backup disk, (2) set which disks, directories, or files to exclude, (3) turn backup on or off, and (4) force it to backup now. But restore works well (restoring all the attributes and files that many backup packages do not handle well), either from fancy Time Machine screen or bootup DVD. And it is just so easy, quick, and not at all disruptive.