Briefly: Cingular stores spawn iPhone contact lists

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Some Cingular wireless stores have begun to capitalize on the excitement leading up to the release of Apple's iPhone, offering to add prospective buyers to an "iPhone notification list" if they provide a phone number and answer a few questions.

Bloggers over at Twibe took the time to look into the matter by visiting their local Cingular retail store in Texas. They found that while Cingular is referring to the lists as "waiting lists," they're essentially "call-the-minute-we-get-em" lists which do not guarantee placement.

"I talked to a manager (possibly the owner) who took my name and number and said he would contact us the morning they get them in, which would allow the people on the list to get in line first," the report states. "He also asked if I was upgrading, switching, and a couple other service related questions."

The bloggers had also e-mailed their local Cingular store manager in advance of visiting the location and later received the following reply:

"Thanks for your email. We have a waiting list and we plan to contact the customers on the list when the iphone becomes available. If I can have your phone number I will get you added to the list and call you when we receive the iPhones. We look forward to having you as a customer soon!"

Since the iPhone's unveiling in January, Cingular (now AT&T) has received over a million inquiries from customers eager to snap up one of the Apple gadgets when they goes on sale in late June.

The excitement surrounding the iPhone also appears to be boosting interest in Cingular's wireless network amongst potential switchers, with a recent ChangeWave survey showing the wireless carrier to have surged ahead of rival Verizon Wireless in terms of consumer's future buying intentions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    That's kind of a hokey list. I suppose they don't have a real reservation system in place or have some sort of policy limiting them from taking deposits. I think it's going to end badly. They could have 10 units come into the store and without a proper reservation system, they might very well call 50 people, leaving as many as 40 disappointed people that wouldn't have wasted their time or gas to pick up something that won't be there by the time they get around to it.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Seems to me that they're trying to determine who's actually interested in the device. This way, it takes some initiative (stop-in, call, e-mail) by the prospective buyer other than just providing their e-mail via cingular.com. I'm sure we'll hear about how many applicants Cingular received in a couple of weeks.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    The news that they had received 'over a million inquiries' has been playing for so long I wonder why it isn't now 'over 2 or 3 million'?
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The news that they had received 'over a million inquiries' has been playing for so long I wonder why it isn't now 'over 2 or 3 million'?

The one million announcement was less than a month ago. If it's linear, I wouldn't expect two million for a couple months yet. It could go either way, one million was just a burst, or one million on an accelerating increase.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member
    Sounds reasonable to me.

Personally, I can't imagine someone wanting to commit in advance to the iPhone when all we know about it is Apple's advertising and a few very-limited demonstrations to reporters that were performed on a pre-release model with many features missing.

Until this device is released and some proper reviews can be written (or, at least the ability to try it out in the store), who would want to commit himself to a $600 item and a multi-year service commitment?
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shamino View Post

Until this device is released and some proper reviews can be written (or, at least the ability to try it out in the store), who would want to commit himself to a $600 item and a multi-year service commitment?

*raises hand*

• Reply 7 of 21
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I'll wait for the 3G service. I don't want to give up the ten times faster internet speeds I get now on my 700p with Sprint.

I also want to see what happens with third party software. There are several programs, or types of programs, I use now. I don't want to give up that usage.

My wife, on the other hand, is ready to go now.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    It's starting to feel like the Cabbage Patch Kids frenzy!
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

It's starting to feel like the Cabbage Patch Kids frenzy!

I hope it won't end the way that did.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...a recent ChangeWave survey showing the wireless carrier to have surged ahead of rival Verizon Wireless in terms of consumer's future buying intentions.

Uh-Oh I think I feel a ChangeQuake?

Duck and Cover!
  • Reply 11 of 21
    kilraqkilraq Posts: 26member
    Does anyone else not realize what could potentially happen here?

Think of when the new generation game consoles came out. Remember the ruckus that caused? People in lines days before the product placement, fights, shootings, etc.

I do believe to my knowledge this might very well be the first time AT&T/Cingular will have EVER had people camping outside their stores waiting for a product. Will be humorous to see how this pans out.

*Gets the mental image of a thousand sweaty apple nerds/geeks waiting outside Apple Stores and AT&T/Cingular stores across the nation, talking of the latest games or hacks. Maybe a coordinated iPod dance routine by the very bored and geeky. Fights will break out over Job's latest actions at the WWDC speech. The soft glow of PowerBooks will light up the evening as the sun sets.*

• Reply 12 of 21
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilraq View Post

*Gets the mental image of a thousand sweaty apple nerds/geeks waiting outside Apple Stores and AT&T/Cingular stores across the nation, talking of the latest games or hacks. Maybe a coordinated iPod dance routine by the very bored and geeky. Fights will break out over Job's latest actions at the WWDC speech. The soft glow of PowerBooks will light up the evening as the sun sets.*

Thanks for the visual imagery. I'll be ordering online and waiting for it to be delivered.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    I think I will go to the Apple store to get it, probably less preasure for all the extra services on the phone.

• Reply 14 of 21
    -cj--cj- Posts: 58member
    My Verizon account is up in September so I'm hoping to have heard good things by then and will be ready to make the switch to Cingular. Incidentally, Verizon's coverage is a bit better in my neighborhood than Cingular, but I'm willing to overlook that for something minimizes the number of devices I carry around.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Uh-Oh I think I feel a ChangeQuake?

Duck and Cover!

I think I just ChangeQuaked my shorts!
  • Reply 16 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What way did it end?
  • Reply 17 of 21
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What way did it end?

Pieces of shredded cabbages everywhere...the horror...the horror...
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Pieces of shredded cabbages everywhere...the horror...the horror...

I think that it might be a good theme for a horror/parody short film.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What way did it end?

By just —ending!
  • Reply 20 of 21
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

If you're referring to the fact that Coleco went out of business, it was their failed attempt at producing a computer (the Adam) that killed them, not Cabbage Patch Kids.