Apple scrambling to secure more NAND flash ahead of iPhone

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    While in WV visiting family, I stopped into the local Cingular store in Wheeling.

The clerk there said that store would only receive three iPhones. Think I'll wait until Rev A.

On another note, I think Apple's trying to stash NAND flash for a sub-notebook. The DigiTimes report smells of misdirection/misunderstanding to me.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Samsung has begun pumping out 16Gb (2GB) Flash storage chips fabbed at 51nm, the first chip maker to do so. The new chips' read and write speeds are 8MBps and 30MBps, respectively, to the older technology's 4.4MBps and 17MBps.
  • Reply 43 of 45
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Very nice...yah...iPhone in June is tight unless end of June but new Nano by September (unless the iPhone gobbles up all the new NAND) is likely.

And what the heck, after Apple transistions to the 16Gb chip we can maybe see some of the SSDs based on the 8Gb chips finally hit the retail market.

Vinea
  • Reply 44 of 45
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Interesting stuff, Vinea. Would Apple really have to go through the same rigmarole if they only changed the capacity?

From the press release:

"The product also maintains the same 4 bit error-correcting code (ECC) capability as that of 60nm NAND, allowing customers to use existing system interfaces with only minor firmware upgrades."

http://www.samsung.com/PressCenter/P...429_0000341776

Interesting tidbits to blow out of proportion:

"Samsung will offer an optimized suite of Flash software and firmware-incorporated storage devices for music phones..." (cropping to make more sensational)

"With support technology in place, demand for 16Gb NAND flash memory is expected to grow rapidly, pushing this new chip into the mainstream market beginning late this year."

Can be (mis)construed to mean that Apple gets all the production until late this year...

Here you go...AppleInsider headline: Samsung begins mass production of 16GB Flash for "music phones"

Vinea
  • Reply 45 of 45
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Apple has set up a system where iPhone customers will receive free software upgrades for 24 months. That means hardware placed in the iPhone now will have to use software developed two years from now.

So it seems Apple may be pressed to include forward thinking hardware into the current phone.