Roxio to announce Apple TV support; Joost goes live; Silverlight

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
The software developers behind the popular Toast disc authoring software have something in store for Apple TV owners. Meanwhile, Joost has officially launched its self-titled Internet TV service. And Microsoft demos its Flash rival on Macs.



Not getting enough out of your Apple TV? Is it sitting there collecting dust while you wait for Apple to begin offering some real HD content? Roxio, makers of the ever-poplar Toast disc authoring software, plans to sooth the yearning.



AppleInsider has learned that on Monday, the Novato, Calif.-based software developer will formally introduce a new product that will allow more content to be viewed via Apple TV.



At this time, it's believed that the company plans to introduce a distinct software title focused on driving additional content to the $299 streaming media device instead of just adding export features to the existing version of Toast.



Details of the new application should start to crop up on Apple related websites ahead of Monday's announcement -- possibly as early as this evening.



Alongside the Apple TV-related announcement, Roxio will also be introducing several other media products that will make it easier to upload videos to today’s popular web services, like YouTube and GoFirsh.

*

Joost now live



Meanwhile, Electronista notes that Joost has now officially launched its self-titled Internet TV service.



While the client-side software is still in late beta for Mac OS X and Windows XP, the peer-to-peer TV network sports over 150 channels ranging from cartoons to documentaries and sports.



As part of the official launch, Joost has issued a new beta and granted have unlimited invites to existing testers, ensuring that almost anyone can try the service through a friend.



Joost requires a broadband Internet connection.



Microsoft demos Flash rival on Macs



Trying to shed the image that it's only interested in Windows-native technology for the web, Microsoft on Tuesday took great care to showcase its upcoming Silverlight technology on Macs.



Numerous presenters at the Redmond firm's Mix07 event in Las Vegas made it a point to show that the embedded animation and video technology could easily run on alternate operating systems, and especially alternate web browsers. The company plans to ship the finished version of Silverlight for Firefox on both Mac and Windows platforms and will also have a Safari version available from the outset. The Expression Studio tool used to create Silverlight imagery is currently Windows-only.



Nevertheless, in at least a few cases the attempt to counter notions of anti-competitiveness was used to a deliberately comedic effect: Microsoft development general manager Scott Guthrie was said to have used Macs so heavily to prove the cross-platform nature of Silverlight that Windows and Internet Explorer support was almost secondary.



"And it also runs on Windows!" he joked.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 46
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,268member
    The Mix07 stream is up on Microsoft's site with a Keynote by Ray Ozzie.



    Perhaps I'm unaware of what potential roadmap that Flash has but I think Silverlight is pretty damn powerful. It's not just that it's cross platform but that much of the .net framework and behind it.



    Thus you could use Microsofts new Expression Studio software to author content that then punches through Window and Macs right to the end user with content. Silverlight is more like Flash/Java lite from what I'm seeing.



    The demo with Netflix/Razorfish was cool. You can view a syncronized Silverlight based clip of movies with someone else whilst chatting it up with them in realtime.



    It's bittersweet. The mac fanatic in me wants to show disdain for Microsoft product but the computer fanatic in my wants to cheer them delivering new ways of using our computers.



    Apple's going to have to work hard and take some chances to maintain their edge. Microsoft hasn't been just sitting around doing nothing.
  • Reply 2 of 46
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    The Mix07 stream is up on Microsoft's site with a Keynote by Ray Ozzie.



    Perhaps I'm unaware of what potential roadmap that Flash has but I think Silverlight is pretty damn powerful. It's not just that it's cross platform but that much of the .net framework and behind it.



    Thus you could use Microsofts new Expression Studio software to author content that then punches through Window and Macs right to the end user with content. Silverlight is more like Flash/Java lite from what I'm seeing.



    The demo with Netflix/Razorfish was cool. You can view a syncronized Silverlight based clip of movies with someone else whilst chatting it up with them in realtime.



    It's bittersweet. The mac fanatic in me wants to show disdain for Microsoft product but the computer fanatic in my wants to cheer them delivering new ways of using our computers.



    Apple's going to have to work hard and take some chances to maintain their edge. Microsoft hasn't been just sitting around doing nothing.



    As for the demo with Netflix; that's cool and all but you will be able to do something similar with Leopard. It's called Application Sharing.



    Application Sharing will no doubt make it into iTunes so in effect you will be able to do the same, share a movie in full screen and you will have your buddy/partner in the lower left hand corner watching the movie with you.....only rather than typing you will be able to communicate via video, much like you would if they were sitting on your couch with you (all new internet dating! ).



    In addition, Netflix downloads can only be played on specific players right? Well, the video you download and rent from iTunes could be watched in iTunes, on your iPod or your TV via Apple TV.



    Enough said
  • Reply 3 of 46
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    This might be the first Microsoft product I will embrace willingly. I hope Microsoft can transform itself away from its current business model and instead release complimentary frameworks and applications for other operating systems.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    halhikerhalhiker Posts: 110member
    Still
  • Reply 5 of 46
    halhikerhalhiker Posts: 110member
    Still waiting for PPC support for Joost.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Roxio to announce Apple TV support

    I really hope they thought of a new way to use the AppleTV and not an auto convert and import into iTunes feature.





    Joost goes live

    I need a Joost account. PLEASE O PLEASE O PLEASE O PLEASE send me a private message.





    Silverlight

    This does sound cool. Way to go Microsoft! Though, a part of me wonders if they did extensive MAc demoing because it ran better on a Mac.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halhiker View Post


    Still waiting for PPC support for Joost.



    Magic 8-Ball says: "Outlook is bleak"
  • Reply 8 of 46
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,131member
    Just tried Silverlight in Firefox... y'know what?... it is kinda cool! Can't believe I'm actually saying that.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    The DMG won't mount. It says "Unrecognized File System according to Disk Utility. This is for both OS X versions 1.0 and 1.1. I'm using 10.4.9 with all the latest updates. Anyone else having problems.





    UPDATE: This mounting issue only occurs when downloading with Safari. When downloading with Firefox, it's fine The Safari download used a .DMG.GZ extension while the Firefox used only a .DMG extension.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    This looks cool, Never heard of joost until today but if I anyone has an invite I would appreciate one. And this Microsoft silverlight is pretty interesting.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,268member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post


    This might be the first Microsoft product I will embrace willingly. I hope Microsoft can transform itself away from its current business model and instead release complimentary frameworks and applications for other operating systems.



    Yeah it's actually pretty damn nice. Microsoft put some work into this. I was mildly impressed with Adobe's Apollo but Silverlight looks to be more efficient and Microsoft has the unbeatable combination of developing the tools. The HUD overlays are very much like Apple's usage and it offers very nice realtime info. I predict this is going to be huge. If I was Adobe I'd be a bit worried.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    Just tried Silverlight in Firefox... y'know what?... it is kinda cool! Can't believe I'm actually saying that.



    I know...I have to give credit where it's due. Silverlight looks like more than a just a Flash competitor.



    The killer feature is easy to see. Once we get Broadband pipes to the point where 10mpbs is commonplace in the ability to push video content over the internet at HD with this type of rich overlay is going to kill Cable TV.



    I'm impressed. It works well on a Mac...it uses affordable authoring tools (Expression) and supports Python, Ruby and .net. A master stroke by Microsoft. I'm not afraid to admit it.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    cwinnipegcwinnipeg Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Magic 8-Ball says: "Outlook is bleak"



    Damn them and their Forward thinking, pinko-commie nonsense! I wish they'd release a version for PPC, though... That means that my 17" PB in the living room will have to go without joost. *Sigh*
  • Reply 13 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Here are couple sies that you can test your Silverlight with...
    • Design a room by rotating cubes :: It's not a user friendly solution, but it sure is neat to rotate them cubes.



    • FOX movie previews :: Wow, This is really new. There are only 3 films to preview: Fantastic Four 2, Path Finder (not a movie about a Mac app), & Die Hard 9.

  • Reply 14 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwinnipeg View Post


    Damn them and their Forward thinking, pinko-commie nonsense! I wish they'd release a version for PPC, though... That means that my 17" PB in the living room will have to go without joost. *Sigh*



    From a developer's standpoint I can see why they'd do this.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwinnipeg's signature


    "Homosexuality is gods way of ensuring the

    truly brilliant arent burdened with children"

    -Unknown Brilliant individual



    It never occurs to me that computer nerds could be gay. I just assume they don't get with women because they can't, not because they don't want to.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    Microsoft hasn't been just sitting around doing nothing.



    Really? Seems they are just trying to catch up with the fact that Flash has pretty much decimated all WMV playback on the web - I mean, this has mostly be video stuff - i haven't seen any impressive vector animation at all.



    Secondly, do you need to be a programming geek to use this stuff? Actionscript is pretty friendly i'm not sure how many people want to start using MS's programming environments. Seems to me, Microsoft just doesn't want their developer community to scramble to Flex.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,268member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post


    Really? Seems they are just trying to catch up with the fact that Flash has pretty much decimated all WMV playback on the web - I mean, this has mostly be video stuff - i haven't seen any impressive vector animation at all.



    Secondly, do you need to be a programming geek to use this stuff? Actionscript is pretty friendly i'm not sure how many people want to start using MS's programming environments. Seems to me, Microsoft just doesn't want their developer community to scramble to Flex.



    Adobe's open sourcing a lot of Flex so that seems to portend a bit of a lack of faith in its future. If I take off my rose tinted Apple shades and look around I do note that plenty of developers are happy enough with .NET tools and C# as a programming language. Now take that invested intelligence and toss in AJAX, Python, Ruby and more into one collective milieu and you do have a powerful setup From what I've seen vector stuff isn't in the equation yet and Flash has nothing to worry about there.



    I think Silverlight's main competition is Adobe's Apollo, as Silverlight lets you develop server and client side apps and the runtime environment looks streamlined and efficient. It covers a majority of what Apollo seems to do perhaps minus the local computer hooks into the filesystem.



    I hate talking up Microsoft...trust me I do...while I really like Office 2007 it grates on me everytime I have to "verify" I haven't ripped Microsoft off to download a freakin' template. That's always been Microsoft's problem to me. They love to toss out how they have %95 of the market but then their apps are forcing you to activate and go through Genuine Advantage every time you attempt to extend the product in any way.



    I will always default to a non Microsoft tool if it fits my needs. Silverlight is cool, I'll give Microsoft that, but that doesn't mean you cannot accomplish much of what it does with AJAX, Ruby, Python, Django etc.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    If I take off my rose tinted Apple shades and look around I do note that plenty of developers are happy enough with .NET tools and C# as a programming language.



    I know several people who only use Macs for recreational purposes but develop with .NET for work and absolutely love it.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    Adobe's open sourcing a lot of Flex so that seems to portend a bit of a lack of faith in its future. If I take off my rose tinted Apple shades and look around I do note that plenty of developers are happy enough with .NET tools and C# as a programming language. Now take that invested intelligence and toss in AJAX, Python, Ruby and more into one collective milieu and you do have a powerful setup From what I've seen vector stuff isn't in the equation yet and Flash has nothing to worry about there.



    I think Silverlight's main competition is Adobe's Apollo, as Silverlight lets you develop server and client side apps and the runtime environment looks streamlined and efficient. It covers a majority of what Apollo seems to do perhaps minus the local computer hooks into the filesystem.



    I hate talking up Microsoft...trust me I do...while I really like Office 2007 it grates on me everytime I have to "verify" I haven't ripped Microsoft off to download a freakin' template. That's always been Microsoft's problem to me. They love to toss out how they have %95 of the market but then their apps are forcing you to activate and go through Genuine Advantage every time you attempt to extend the product in any way.



    I will always default to a non Microsoft tool if it fits my needs. Silverlight is cool, I'll give Microsoft that, but that doesn't mean you cannot accomplish much of what it does with AJAX, Ruby, Python, Django etc.



    Yeah - I didn't mean to come across as an Apple apologist. I mean - I really think Microsoft is pretty disorganized, and hasn't had a hit since Office - but I assure you, I am looking at this with complete unbias ...



    Seriously - Ruby?!? I mean, come on - i think Microsoft just sees the writing on the wall and is now "embracing" all these other technologies.



    It;s not my understanding that much of the flash content that's on the web is done by true Programmers. I mean, there is no fucking way I'm going to learn .Net. And if this is for their development community, they are really just fucking themselves, because they will be writing apps wich are cross-platform. From what i remember with all the pie in the sky talk about .Net when the first brought it out, was that it was cross-platform, but worked just a little better on Windows - I just don't see how anyone is going to trust Silverlight to work great on all platform, now or even 10 years from now. This is Microsoft we are talking about.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,268member
    tcg



    I've seen plenty of your posts to know you're not an AA member



    I agree...it's odd to see Microsoft pushing open standards like XML and W3C..but we've seen'em do this before. We're seeing the embrace...we now need to look for the extend. How will they attempt to lock to Windows? Should be fun to watch.



    It should be even more fun to watch the direction that Apple takes. They are already getting cozy with enough AJAX and Javascript frameworks. Perhaps we see some more definitive moves in this area from them this or next year from them.



    I'm going to have to look a bit closer at Joost. Man video is hotly contested. Whoever wins the battle of online video is going to have to deliver one hell of a product. There are so many players coming out of the woodwork.
  • Reply 20 of 46
    irelandireland Posts: 17,589member
    I have Joost but offhand I can't see a way to send any invites?
Sign In or Register to comment.