Greenpeace lauds, then criticizes Apple cleanup effort

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Greenpeace has already celebrated Apple's new push towards eco-friendly goods as beating much of the industry at its own game. The Mac maker, however, wasn't completely off the hook.

The environmental activist group didn't hesitate in responding to Apple CEO Steve Jobs' open letter on Wednesday, "cheering" the move as a major step towards electronics free of toxic chemicals.

Complements were especially warm for the consumer electronics firm's turnaround on removing the most hazardous elements from its devices. Brominated Fire Retardants and PVC plastic. Greenpeace was acutely aware of Dell's 2009 target for doing the same and was pleased to hear that the Round Rock, Texas-based PC maker would be eclipsed by its arch-rival a full year sooner, scrubbing the devices clean by 2008.

"Way to go Steve," Greenpeace said on the matter.

The activist group also felt that its targeted campaign for greener Apple hardware had been validated by the change. Efforts by supporters to spotlight the computer builder's shortcomings in dramatic fashion -- which included a complaint-ridden MacExpo protest and a near-literal greening of Apple stores -- had made it "clear" that the wasteful practices needed to change, Greenpeace claimed.

Apple's CEO had mentioned the environmentalists' demands in his letter, but said nothing of the related protests. The company's shareholders had until today been scheduled to vote later his month on an investor-driven green timetable which would have brought the issue to the forefront with or without the demonstrations..

Even with its seeming victory, however, Greenpeace quickly turned its commendation into a jab at Apple's remaining weaknesses. The Mac maker's computer take-back program was singled out as overly US-centric, according to the statement. While it meant that no discarded systems or handhelds from American would filter back to Asia and contribute to local pollution, buyers in other regions would be forced to toss their systems away. Other companies have already implemented worldwide recycling programs.

The environmental advocates also made it evident that the plan had to translate into action, and that the expectations for Apple -- a company known for meticulous design -- would be especially high.

"Apple hasn't gotten an actual green product to market, but no other electronics manufacture has either," Greenpeace commented. "That's a race worthy of the wizards of Cupertino."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    I'm all for greening Apple and nuking Greenpeace.
  • Reply 2 of 65
    Greenpeace seems to have totally missed one major point, Apple didn't do any of these things in reaction to their request. The efforts described in Jobs' letter have been underway for the last 10-15 years at Apple. All Greenpeace has done to Apple is help persuade them to make their existing programs known to the public; they have not effected any change within the company.

Greenpeace should do more research before making public claims that aren't true. It would be respectful and more effective if they contacted an Apple representative to inquire about their environmental programs, in an effort to work with Apple to make their "green" labors known, rather than slinging mud then claiming their efforts were successful.
  • Reply 3 of 65
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Apple hasn't gotten an actual green product to market, but no other electronics manufacture has either," Greenpeace commented. "That's a race worthy of the wizards of Cupertino."

See, what do they mean by "green product" ... one that contains no hazardous chemicals? That's going to be impossible for any electronics manufacturer ... it would be nice if Greenpeace actually defined what they wanted...
  • Reply 4 of 65
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Only too predictable... "Even with its seeming victory, however, Greenpeace quickly turned its commendation into a jab at Apple's remaining weaknesses."

Friggin' tools.
  • Reply 5 of 65
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I'm all for greening Apple and nuking Greenpeace.

Agreed.

They claim vicotry but all the nerds know that LED is better for the user and just happens to be greener than what we have now. So no victory, just good PR for Apple to get GP off their case just a little. But the little buggers are like roaches and just keep coming with it.
  • Reply 6 of 65
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Greenpeace cause nothing but red wars, they can shove it!
  • Reply 7 of 65
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    I wonder, do Greenpeace employees use computers at all, either at home or in the office?

If "no," hats off to them. At least, that would be very consistent and honest.

If "yes," then (s)he is simply a third-rate, garden-variety hypocrite. (But nothing in the law says you can't be one.)
  • Reply 8 of 65
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    without going on a rant that would be ohh-so easy, YES greenpeace can be extremely annoying, but all companies, computer manufacturers included, should be looking more at saving us from oblivion instead of saving 14 cents per unit.

as a design firm we use 100 post consumer paper and soy based inks, unless the client is especially annoying, in which case we use 100% "wind power" paper. never a tacky foil stamp or metallic papers. do we really need a huge hard plastic case to package a matchbook sized ipod? aren't there 100 million of those in landfills now?
  • Reply 9 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AgNuke1707 View Post

See, what do they mean by "green product" ... one that contains no hazardous chemicals? That's going to be impossible for any electronics manufacturer ... it would be nice if Greenpeace actually defined what they wanted...

An abacus made of soy beans and twigs.
  • Reply 10 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

Blah blah blah blah...do we really need a huge hard plastic case to package a matchbook sized ipod?

Yes. otherwise we would lose them because they are so tiny.

Quote:

aren't there 100 million of those in landfills now?

Yes. It is part of Apple's landfill beautification project.
  • Reply 11 of 65
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swmooretiger View Post

Greenpeace seems to have totally missed one major point, Apple didn't do any of these things in reaction to their request. The efforts described in Jobs' letter have been underway for the last 10-15 years at Apple. All Greenpeace has done to Apple is help persuade them to make their existing programs known to the public; they have not effected any change within the company.

Greenpeace should do more research before making public claims that aren't true. It would be respectful and more effective if they contacted an Apple representative to inquire about their environmental programs, in an effort to work with Apple to make their "green" labors known, rather than slinging mud then claiming their efforts were successful.

More research? More like reading the damn thing the whole way through. That's all the research they needed to do and they even failed at that.

Quote:

without going on a rant that would be ohh-so easy, YES greenpeace can be extremely annoying, but all companies, computer manufacturers included, should be looking more at saving us from oblivion instead of saving 14 cents per unit.

as a design firm we use 100 post consumer paper and soy based inks, unless the client is especially annoying, in which case we use 100% "wind power" paper. never a tacky foil stamp or metallic papers. do we really need a huge hard plastic case to package a matchbook sized ipod? aren't there 100 million of those in landfills now?

I dunno, I kept the case to mine, on the shelf with the rest of my Mac Related Products Packaging and Books. I like the design.

Sebastian
  • Reply 12 of 65
    Dear Greenpeace,

Apple did not create these policies because of anything you've done, so stop dancing around, Apple was already doing this, they just didn't brag about it, they did it because it was the right thing to do, not as a marketing ploy. Just because you couldn't get the information to twist around before, does not mean Apple didn't have a plan.

Now as far as a computer take back program, you'll find that a lot of Mac users want to hold on to their old Macs, even if they aren't working.
  • Reply 13 of 65
    keymacerkeymacer Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

Now as far as a computer take back program, you'll find that a lot of Mac users want to hold on to their old Macs, even if they aren't working.

Yup, until two years ago, the family computer at our house was almost 8 years old aand 2 years before that was another 8 year old computer we now have 4 retired computers hardrive/monitor and all in our basement, all Macs not filling the landfill, but our basement instead.

The family Comp is now about 7 years old

Don't you just love hand-me-UPs (university kids giving old comps to their parents)
  • Reply 14 of 65
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    So instead of going after companies that have poor environmental policy they go after those that have good environmental policy because they happen to have a popular product? Hmmmm... So if I have one neighbor that recycles and one that doesn't I should pester the one that recycles to recycle more? Um... okay.

• Reply 15 of 65
    Greenpeace just take a cheap shot by saying Apple hasn't produced a green product. No technology company ever have or will.

They've got nothin!! Now, thanks to that lame statement, everybody knows it!
  • Reply 16 of 65
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    sebastian, the case would still be cool if the same [obviously very talented] packaging designer were told to make it eco-friendly. and when it did EVENTUALLY go from your shelf to a landfill, maybe it could decompose, too?

mozzarella, very funny. landfill beautification project. you're a comic genius. a pure masterpiece of humor. the funniest thing since the first football to the groin. i'm still laughing. seriously. no really. honest.

shadowmac: there are shades of grey in green products. my macbook could be made from 100% post consumer aluminum... or from lead.

finally, as far as no international buyback program... ebay is the only buyback program i've ever used.
  • Reply 17 of 65
    fastredfastred Posts: 23member
    I used to be a contributor to Greenpeace's activities; some I still passively support (like their action on whaling)... but their histrionic, half-baked and mis-directed attacks on Apple meant they lost my subscription. I now make donations to less self-important, up-them-selves environmental organisations.

They ain't getting my money back through this sort of carry-on either....
  • Reply 18 of 65
    cjd2112cjd2112 Posts: 83member
    I applaud Desarc for making some excellent points against the general disdain for environmental issues that seems prevelant here. It makes me sick when I read pompous comments about how unimportant environmental issues are and that destroying a community that attempts to improve the way of life for generations to come is seen as humor. It's ignorant and sad.

Keep in mind, humanity is just a spec on the timeline of this planet, and nature can flick us off any time she wants. The Tsunami in Indonesia and the rapidly increasing hurricanes and global climate change is just a taste of what's to come from man's disrespect of the only planet they call home. Think about that fact very carefully before you anonymously reply with pompous comments. If attitudes similar to what has been displayed here continue, it's only a matter of time...
  • Reply 19 of 65
    fastredfastred Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CJD2112 View Post

I applaud Desarc for making some excellent points against the general disdain for environmental issues that seems prevelant here. It makes me sick when I read pompous comments about how unimportant environmental issues are and that destroying a community that attempts to improve the way of life for generations to come is seen as humor. It's ignorant and sad.

Keep in mind, humanity is just a spec on the timeline of this planet, and nature can flick us off any time she wants. The Tsunami in Indonesia and the rapidly increasing hurricanes and global climate change is just a taste of what's to come from man's disrespect of the only planet they call home. Think about that fact very carefully before you anonymously reply with pompous comments. If attitudes similar to what has been displayed here continue, it's only a matter of time...

Oh grow up. Very little of what has been said here is "distain for environmental issue". What it is, and quite appropriately, is distain for the *inappropriate* grandstanding by Greenpeace, who targetted Apple not because of its poor environmental record but

a) because Apple has a high profile;

b) Apple didn't play the silly games other computer manufacturers have been playing.

Don't presume to judge my views on the environment, or those of others here either.

What matters is that *all* of us, companies, governments, and individuals take action on environmental issues. Ad hominem attacks on either individuals or companies with high profiles won't cut it.
  • Reply 20 of 65
    interwebsinterwebs Posts: 17member
    I greatly admire both Apple and Greenpeace and think they have both taken mostly positive actions here. I don't think Apple would have released it's environmental policies - even though they are industry leading - unless Greenpeace had done this prodding. And why not? This is not an Apple product announcement, this is about being a good corporate citizen, and that's what Apple has now demonstrated they are. Now, thanks to Greenpeace, Apple is the clear leader in removing toxics, and Dell, and other manufacturers now have to compete with Apple to become even greener. No company wants to be low on the list of toxic manufacturers.

Apple wins by demonstrating it's a leader, and Greenpeace wins by showing it forced Apple mysteriously reluctant hand to be more open.

But neither organization has been perfect. Steve Jobs admitted so in his letter: "we have failed to communicate the things that we are doing well" and "We apologize for leaving you in the dark for this long." And Jobs wasn't only responding to Greenpeace - he admitted "shareholders, employees and the industry... deserve and expect more from us, and they’re right to do so." I think he showed great leadership, owned up, and realized there's no reason to be secretive in this instance.

And while I don't fault Greenpeace for taking aim at Apple on this issue - they did so, in my opinion, not for a hatred of Apple, but precisely because Apple is a leader in so many areas and can shame the other manufacturers into acting responsibly as well - I do think Greenpeace took a bit too much credit. They made it appear that they changed Apple's manufacturing processes, when they really changed Apple's openness about their environmental plans. And the result is a good thing.