Why did you buy your mac?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    I bought my MBP because (1) I wanted one; and (2) I can afford it. It was a purely luxury item for me; I've been considering a Mac since Apple switched to Intel processors. I don't use my computer for work, though I do take it w/ me when I travel for work,--it's meant for purely recreational use. I've had it for about 2 months, and so far, I am pretty certain that I'll replace my MBP w/ another Mac in 18-24 months when I'm ready to pony-up for newer technology.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    simply put, i bought my macs because they're "pretty"
  • Reply 23 of 42
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacHope theWorld View Post

simply put, i bought my macs because they're "pretty"

I bought my first Mac before they started looking pretty! (Centris 610--a beige pizza box, but at least I set the monitor on top of it).
  • Reply 24 of 42
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

I bought my first Mac before they started looking pretty! (Centris 610--a beige pizza box, but at least I set the monitor on top of it).

They sure behaved pretty on the screen though. Plus, I never saw a beige Mac go down due to a hardware problem. I wish I could say the same about the new "cutting edge" systems.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

They sure behaved pretty on the screen though. Plus, I never saw a beige Mac go down due to a hardware problem. I wish I could say the same about the new "cutting edge" systems.

I used it for about 6 years, then gave it to my mother-in-law. She used it for several years, then gave it the lady who cleans her house. As far as I know, she's still using it.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

I used it for about 6 years, then gave it to my mother-in-law. She used it for several years, then gave it the lady who cleans her house. As far as I know, she's still using it.

Similar story with my Performa 5200. It was my computer for five years growing up. After I got the PMG3, have it it my grandparents who got another five years out of the thing. Off the shelf IDE hard drive failed, but the rest of the machine was still working perfectly after almost a decade.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Well, I just loved the underdog at first. This was in the Mac OS 9 days, around 1999. My Grandmother got a iMac 5 Flavors and I loved it (<warm-and-fuzzy-feeling />)! We got ourselves an iBook 900 in 2003 with Mac OS X and I thought it was just the greatest little computer! I learned how MS was a company not to be trusted (I still use Office for Mac Though) and how Macs were less susceptible to the spyware and virus pains I had with our Compaqs and such. I also tend to just have less "problems per Hour", particularly when installing software and hardware. Finally, I love the UNIX roots; though I'd have been happy had Apple produced a reliable kernel of its own too. My current machine is a Mac Mini G4.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryaxnb View Post

Finally, I love the UNIX roots; though I'd have been happy had Apple produced a reliable kernel of its own too. My current machine is a Mac Mini G4.

Apple found that quite impossible to do themselves. The result is a better OS today

Sebastian
  • Reply 29 of 42
    jhankwitzjhankwitz Posts: 10member
    Macs are easier to use and more reliable than PCs. Back in the early 90's, our company of well over 6,000 employees with about a 50:50 ratio of Macs & PCS had to make a decision to go with either Macs or PCs. I sat in a meeting with the VP and several managers from IT. Pros and cons were discussed, and the VP finally simply stated,"If we switched to all Macs, I'd have to lay-off over 3/4 of my support staff." The company went the PC route, and I only own Macs.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    My parents bought a Mac in 1985 because they were told Macs were better at dealing with foreign language input than anything else on the market. I believe this still holds true 22 years later.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    akent35akent35 Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

My parents bought a Mac in 1985 because they were told Macs were better at dealing with foreign language input than anything else on the market. I believe this still holds true 22 years later.

Hi, everyone! New user, just joined last week. Looks like a great board!

As for me, I started using an Apple IIE in 1985 (after having experienced using an original Mac at work back in 1984), moved up to an Apple IIGS around 1990, and I just liked the look and feel of these machines. Also, I was able to be quite productive using my machines while I was working. When the Apple IIGS was getting too "ancient" to use (mainly for the software), I bought my first Mac (a PowerMac 6600) in December 1995. I have not looked back since. Again, I feel very, very productive using Macs, no matter how much market share Apple has.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Cause they are cool... The Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mouse isn't great for work though...
  • Reply 33 of 42
    I think if you try one (a Mac, that is) you will never go back. I changed four years ago because of what I had heard and found for myself that:

They communicate in English without all of the complex moves necessary in Windows

They seem to stay up and not crash (only once in four years)

They are made for the user and not the computer jockey

The security is 99.99%

I have never regreted it for a second........
  • Reply 34 of 42
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    My school had Classic, the odd SE/30 and an LCII as a server all running System 6. When my parents bought a Classic II running System 7 it seemed like a different world.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I bought my first Mac cause I looked nice, with it's beautiful display and graphics, and it heard some great reviews.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I bought my first Mac because it had all the best MIDI apps and Apple had just introduced the first sub $1000 mac, the Mac Classic. I managed to hold out and get the Classic II.

Nick
  • Reply 37 of 42
    easyceasyc Posts: 69member
    I havent bought one yet but Im making the switch because

1. Although I can build my own power house PC and troubleshoot, repair, replace whatever I just want something reliable. Friends of mine for years have had macs and they've used the same one while Ive gone through like 6 different PC's.

2. The switch to intel and now parallels and the universal apps is just mwuah!

3. The MacBook Pro is just dead sexy!
  • Reply 38 of 42
    jbf13jbf13 Posts: 39member
    I bought a black macbook to match my soon to be iPhone
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

1. Mac OS X is better than windows.

2. I also wanted an very portable, but affordable laptop.

3. I've used them almost exclusively since '92 or so.

I can't agree more with number 1.

To add to that...you don't have to worry about or deal with "Norton anti-virus" or any of that other garbage slowing down your system.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    feartecfeartec Posts: 119member
    The Macintosh Classic and myself had our first network experience together about 12 years ago when I put 5 together for a class I was in. I thought they were slow and worthless. That is because they were old and I was a PC man at the time, so I was biased.

Recently, however I discovered something. PC based systems were getting bigger, but more sloppy in their processes, and in result making more problems than they were solving. I really do believe Apple is the future for powerful machines due to their hardware specific configurations. One day I believe we will have copious cores in a single processor, and each core will be used for a different function. Windows will not be able to support such a configurable future, while as long as Apple doesn't take on the any PC configuration format they should be able to manage these core processes so much more efficient than those of OS's that have to use a million different possible hardware configurations and support every damn one of them. I bought a MAC because I believe it is the inevitable future in computers. Hardware paired specific with an operating system. Call me crazy, go ahead.

Or, call me a genius and believe me a predictor of the future...