Safari...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    [quote]Originally posted by eVo:

<strong>Anyone know the best way to import Chimera bookmarks to Safari?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Export them from Chimera, import them into IE. Reinstall Safari.

Safari saves it's bookmarks in an XML plist file in /Library/Safari. Maybe deleting the file while Safari is not running and starting it up again will reimport IE bookmarks instead of reinstalling.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    elricelric Posts: 230member
    Thank You Apple! This Safari app kicks IE's butt. One less piece of M$ trash to use.

Tabs? Never liked them myself but as long as I can turn them off who cares. You guys seem to like them so hopefully they will be added.

Ok this may sound odd but these apps without borders kinda bug me. I wish they had the option to turn borders on. (I want this feature in Terminal also)

I sorta miss the dropdown menu of bookmarks but I think this new bookmark system is growin on me
  • Reply 23 of 42
    It appears that Safari is Steve Jobs F**k You to Bill Gates.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    It doesn't auto-highlight the URL in the address bar when clicked on. Grrr....
  • Reply 25 of 42
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Anyone notice this possible bug?

Type an option + 2 to get the (tm) symbol in a text entry field. It looks right.

Here's a (tm)

?

See it looks right in this screenie:

But it ends up being a ? when I post. Strange.

[ 01-08-2003: Message edited by: torifile ]</p>
  • Reply 26 of 42
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Maybe it's just me, but does Safari not have a 'close window' button, you know the red one that's in every window. i clicked about where it should be and the window closes, but there's nothing there.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    So wait.

Apple hired David Hyatt, creator of the Chimera web browser featuring the Gecko Rendering engine. So why does Safari use something called KHTML? Did I get that part wrong?
  • Reply 28 of 42
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I kind of like the metal look. I didn't at first but then I realised I never really look at it.

Anyway has anybody worked out a way to check security certifcates on a secure page? I still haven't managed to.

[quote] The only other things I can think of right now: while I like the omission of the bar along the bottom of the window, I like to be able to mouse over a link and see where it points. <hr></blockquote>

Go to the menu "View" then select "Status Bar" and you can have it on or off. Shortcut is Command-\\

[quote] (2) Where's all the refinements of OW? <hr></blockquote>

Keep in mind it's still a beta and OW is at 4.x or something. Make the suggestions to Apple and I'm sure they'll refine it over time. The main thing for a beta is just to make sure it works reliably though.

[quote] It doesn't auto-highlight the URL in the address bar when clicked on. Grrr.... <hr></blockquote>

I really like that fact but you can just triple click it. Double click will do a section of the address. Same as double highlights a word in text and triple a line.

[quote] Maybe it's just me, but does Safari not have a 'close window' button, you know the red one that's in every window. i clicked about where it should be and the window closes, but there's nothing there. <hr></blockquote>

This is caused by using some theme or something with the new recessed style of buttons. It's not a bug of the browser but of the theme or whatever it is.

[quote] Apple hired David Hyatt, creator of the Chimera web browser featuring the Gecko Rendering engine. So why does Safari use something called KHTML? Did I get that part wrong? <hr></blockquote>

You got it right but don't forget David Hyatt is still familiar with browser design and knows what's required within one. He just didn't choose the same rendering engine.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    KHTML is used in Konquerer, for whoever asked.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    [quote]Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce:

<strong>So wait.

Apple hired David Hyatt, creator of the Chimera web browser featuring the Gecko Rendering engine. So why does Safari use something called KHTML? Did I get that part wrong?</strong><hr></blockquote>

David Hyatt wedged a rendering engine into a Cocoa-based web browser. Since Apple wanted to do the same thing, Hyatt's help would have been nice. In addition to Apple's stated reasons, I would think it would have been harder to make Safari "Mac-like" with all of Gecko's insistence of platform agnosticism.

Also, mac's girl: turn off pop-ups in the Safari application menu.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by frawgz:

<strong>

David Hyatt wedged a rendering engine into a Cocoa-based web browser. Since Apple wanted to do the same thing, Hyatt's help would have been nice. In addition to Apple's stated reasons, I would think it would have been harder to make Safari "Mac-like" with all of Gecko's insistence of platform agnosticism.

Also, mac's girl: turn off pop-ups in the Safari application menu.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hyatt is mainly an interface guy. He's also involved in Phoenix.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    [quote]Originally posted by JLL:

<strong>

Hyatt is mainly an interface guy. He's also involved in Phoenix.</strong><hr></blockquote>

He's not an interface guy, he's just a very good programmer who recognizes the importance of UI and thoughtful design in creating good apps.

Neither Chimera nor Phoenix can be thought of as simply skins for Mozilla which I think your comment sort of implies.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    [quote]Originally posted by iBrowse:

<strong>Maybe it's just me, but does Safari not have a 'close window' button, you know the red one that's in every window. i clicked about where it should be and the window closes, but there's nothing there.</strong><hr></blockquote>You have installed some kind of theme over Aqua in 10.2.3, haven't you? Tsk tsk.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by stupider...likeafox:

<strong>

He's not an interface guy, he's just a very good programmer who recognizes the importance of UI and thoughtful design in creating good apps.</strong><hr></blockquote>

He was the main force behin XUL. I'm not saying that he is a UI guy, but a programmer actually implementing interface elements.

[quote]Originally posted by stupider...likeafox:

<strong>Neither Chimera nor Phoenix can be thought of as simply skins for Mozilla which I think your comment sort of implies.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I didn't imply that at all.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    For whoever wanted this: Just click on the icon next to the URL in the address bar, and the entire thing is highlighted. A wonderful solution to the standard UI, but yet a one-click operation.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>You have installed some kind of theme over Aqua in 10.2.3, haven't you? Tsk tsk.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I knew it was coming Brad, I really did. Right after the update my theme was gone, like after most updates, so I just put my theme back. I've used AquaFix and stuff to put it back to normal but none of it works. I haven't noticed this in any other brushed metal app though.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Since this seems to be the default Safari thread.

The "Open page with..." option is fcuking GREAT. Wish all browsers came witih it. Browsing on the outher rim of the internet can be a painful experience for a mac user but with this function you have all your tools handy.

Hope they will keep it in the final version...
  • Reply 38 of 42
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Seen what happens when you drag a link to the desktop?

Even that looks yummy.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    [quote]Thank You Apple! This Safari app kicks IE's butt. One less piece of M$ trash to use.<hr></blockquote>

Hmmmm, go to any page that uses CSS for links, menu's, etc and tell me that Safari kicks butt.

I can't access ANY links on about 13 of my favorite sites, when I can do so in Chimera, Netscape or IE.

Overall it's a good beta but it's not a winner by far when compared to other more feature rich browsers.

Mac Guru
  • Reply 40 of 42
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>Anyone notice this possible bug?

Type an option + 2 to get the (tm) symbol in a text entry field. It looks right.

Here's a (tm)

?

See it looks right in this screenie:

But it ends up being a ? when I post. Strange.

[ 01-08-2003: Message edited by: torifile ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I encounter a similar incident while using Safari - I was editing HTML code and I wanted to use a bullet (option + 8) - the bullet appeared fine in the text file, but when I uploaded the file and viewed the page, I saw a ? where the bullets should have been.

I went back and used Chimera to upload the correct text with the bullets and sure enough, the page appeared just as it should have, bullets and all.