iPhone in Canada

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I know this question has probably been asked before, but bare with me.



1) We know that Rogers will carry the iPhone.



So, when is a good estimate for its release here in Canada?



Thanks for anyone who can give me some clue.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 22
    craddoskcraddosk Posts: 26member
    Around december
  • Reply 2 of 22
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,064member
    I was involved in a consumer opinion survey just last week, and it was about how Rogers Wireless would be introducing the iPhone in June at $499.



    Now, it could just be the opinion place took American text and placed it into something for Rogers Wireless (considering the price they mentioned, it would make the phone cheaper in Canada - like iTunes songs), but you never know...
  • Reply 3 of 22
    My guess based on things I've read is that it'll probably surface here in Canada late, say around November. In terms of price, think around $599 (CAN) for the 4GB and $699 (CAN) for the 8GB. Plus if Rogers doesn't offer a lowcost unlimited data plan add on another $210 (CAN) per month for 500MB of data on their MyMail E-mail Plans for non- BlackBerry handhelds. That's of course in addition to any multi-year contract voice plan you'll have to get with the iPhone as well.



    We really get taken for a ride over here in Canada.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    boompubboompub Posts: 15member
    November.... arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

    I was hoping for September
  • Reply 5 of 22
    sheradonsheradon Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John_Drake View Post


    My guess based on things I've read is that it'll probably surface here in Canada late, say around November. In terms of price, think around $599 (CAN) for the 4GB and $699 (CAN) for the 8GB. Plus if Rogers doesn't offer a lowcost unlimited data plan add on another $210 (CAN) per month for 500MB of data on their MyMail E-mail Plans for non- BlackBerry handhelds. That's of course in addition to any multi-year contract voice plan you'll have to get with the iPhone as well.



    We really get taken for a ride over here in Canada.



    Come on Rogers does have a 210$ for email data plan but it is targetted at users who receices a lot but a lot of emails. I personnally have a 40$ email data plan and it is way enough for me (ok i only get my urgent messages on my Blackberry) but if i wanted everything i'm sure i would not exceed the 60$ plan.



    I admit we pay 2x for our wireless voices and probably data but let's not exagerate



    For ppl interested in Rogers Email plans they can be found at this adress
  • Reply 6 of 22
    sheradonsheradon Posts: 4member
    Now the big question is,



    If the Iphone is bought in an Apple store in the US,



    Will Apple force you to register the unit immediatly with AT&T ?



    If not then meabe someone with an existing Rogers Account could just pop in the GSM card in the phone and Voila !?



    Anyway i will sure visit a US store when it comes out in June...
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sheradon View Post


    Come on Rogers does have a 210$ for email data plan but it is targetted at users who receices a lot but a lot of emails. I personnally have a 40$ email data plan and it is way enough for me (ok i only get my urgent messages on my Blackberry) but if i wanted everything i'm sure i would not exceed the 60$ plan.



    I admit we pay 2x for our wireless voices and probably data but let's not exagerate



    For ppl interested in Rogers Email plans they can be found at this adress



    The email data plan is not just for email, but covers all data usage as well. So unless you live in an area heavily blanketed with free wifi you're gonna need as large a GPRS/EDGE data plan as possible and currently 500 MB from Rogers is as big as it gets. If you were to use it entirely for email (and email alone), I agree, it's more than enough. However the iPhone is a multimedia device. Judging on just the web browsing, photo emailing and google maps applications demonstrated at the keynote, 500 MB really isn't all that much. With normal everyday use of all those features, the average user could easily use up that amount in a month. Then you get into the $5 / MB overages. Ouch!



    This is why there is a petition out there for Rogers to offer an unlimited data plan with the introduction of the iPhone but my guess is since they have a monopoly & no competition that they won't bother.



    And no you won't be able to just 'pop in' a Rogers SIM card into a Cingular iPhone in June. It's gonna be carrier locked.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John_Drake View Post


    This is why there is a petition out there for Rogers to offer an unlimited data plan with the introduction of the iPhone but my guess is since they have a monopoly & no competition that they won't bother.



    Before Rogers acquired Fido, Fido had an unlimited data plan for $50/month. The current rates that Rogers and Fido now offer are just ridiculous. I'm planning on getting an iPhone, but the current data plans would make it way too expensive to use it as an "internet communicator".
  • Reply 9 of 22
    You know some people are currently still 'grandfathered' into that $50 Fido unlimited data plan. Lucky punks!



    I think the best bet for people who buy the iPhone in Canada is to get the cheapest mandatory data plan Rogers will offer, then use wifi for everything else. Sure you won't have full country coverage or anything but it'll save you tons of money! If you're lucky enough to live in a major metropolitan city (ie. Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, etc.) finding a close hotspot shouldn't be that hard.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    sheradonsheradon Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John_Drake View Post


    finding a close hotspot shouldn't be that hard.



    Your right, it's not hard at all !



    I often get the need to get connected when i'm town (montreal) and if i drive i never have to go much further than 3 blocks before finding an open router from a house or a compagny Thx folks for the free ride
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Looks like BestBuy will be carrying the iPhone in Canada as well as I assume Rogers Wireless & Apple stores.



    Here's a link to page on BB's website where you can sign up to keep abreast of any iphone related news (ie. release date, etc.)



    http://www.bestbuy.ca/marketing/ipho...gon=&langid=EN
  • Reply 12 of 22
    gtaggtag Posts: 1member
    Hi I currently have an iPhone and as long as data plans will be as high as they are I intend to keep my iPhone as a wifi device and as an iPod. I'm better off subscribing to Hydro One's OneZone unlimited Wifi for $29.95per month in the Downtown core than eating up that charge for half a day's use on either Rogers or Fido plans! I urge everyone in Canada to do so in order to send a message to our wireless providers in Canada. Buy iPhones and don't activate until we get a true iPhone plan. There are many links online that show you how to unbrick the iPhone. On a Mac it took me less than 5 minutes!
  • Reply 13 of 22
    There better be an announcement for the iPhone in Canada at Macworld or that's it for me. I've been waiting and waiting. Hear me Apple?! I'm giving you 9 days or it's Blackberry for life for me.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Rumor has it that Ted Rogers and Steve Jobs met to try and hammer out a deal but Rogers has there own music store which conflicts with the whole iTunes store. I also heard Rogers wants a cut of the hardware sales.



    I too hope we hear something at Macworld! Apple will need Canada if the want to reach the 10 Million iPhone goal
  • Reply 15 of 22
    One thing is for certain: If Apple release the iPhone in Canada with an unlimited data plan it will be absolutely game changing for the telecom industry. The rates for Blackberry data usage, as well as other non-iphone data devices, will have to adjust accordingly and 'The Big Three' (Rogers, Bell, Telus) will have to stop gouging their customers something awful.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John_Drake View Post


    There better be an announcement for the iPhone in Canada at Macworld or that's it for me. I've been waiting and waiting. Hear me Apple?! I'm giving you 9 days or it's Blackberry for life for me.



    Hi, I guess u may have to buy BlackBerry/
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Austin1988 View Post


    Hi, I guess u may have to buy BlackBerry/



    It appears so. Mark my words:



    There will never be an iPhone in Canada!



    We're simply not a big enough market for Apple. Plus they can't/won't deal with Rogers and currently there's nobody else on the GSM side. All these rumours about Telus switching networks is just vapour. It'll cost them hundreds of millions of dollars which I doubt they're willing to shell out.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    Rogers' data rates are so rediculously high right now they're probably making more money without the iPhone than they would with it, assuming that they would lower their rates for the rest of their phones to match the iPhone's.



    That said, I'm going to stick with my old sucky phone either until it breaks or an iPhone appears.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John_Drake View Post


    It appears so. Mark my words:



    There will never be an iPhone in Canada!




    That's interesting. I think that NEVER is a stretch, but besides Rogers having the leverage of being the only GSM carrier in Canada, there is the whole Comwave iPhone trademark issue. Apple could easily get around this second issue by naming the Cdn version the [Apple]Phone. Everyone will still call it the iPhone since it is already engrained in pop culture. As for Rogers, I have been hearing that in March something is supposed to be happening, but I am unsure as to the reliablity of the source.



    Apple is already selling iPhones to Cdns that really want them and are willing/able to unlock them. There is not a whole lot for either Rogers or Apple to gain from selling the iPhone in a country with a population that is a tenth of the size of the US...hmmm... then again one tenth of 4m is 400,000, so maybe not. Who has the most to lose? Probably Rogers. I'd love to see Telus go GSM because my expereince with them wasn't as bad (note "not AS BAD") as it has been with Rogers/Bell. But that is a number of years and $500m away.



    If the 1.1.3 update can be broken, I will be picking one up in Buffalo soon enough. The only thing that is really stopping me at this point is that we're probably only 6 mos. away from an iPhone update (more memory) or a 3G version. I've waited this long. I suppose that I can wait ANOTHER 6 mos. In hindsight, I wish that I bought one back in July. How many iPhone users do you suppose are out there in Canada? I have one co-worker that uses one and I've seen another out and about.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sculley View Post


    That's interesting. I think that NEVER is a stretch, but besides Rogers having the leverage of being the only GSM carrier in Canada, there is the whole Comwave iPhone trademark issue. Apple could easily get around this second issue by naming the Cdn version the [Apple]Phone. Everyone will still call it the iPhone since it is already engrained in pop culture. As for Rogers, I have been hearing that in March something is supposed to be happening, but I am unsure as to the reliablity of the source.



    Apple is already selling iPhones to Cdns that really want them and are willing/able to unlock them. There is not a whole lot for either Rogers or Apple to gain from selling the iPhone in a country with a population that is a tenth of the size of the US...hmmm... then again one tenth of 4m is 400,000, so maybe not. Who has the most to lose? Probably Rogers. I'd love to see Telus go GSM because my expereince with them wasn't as bad (note "not AS BAD") as it has been with Rogers/Bell. But that is a number of years and $500m away.



    If the 1.1.3 update can be broken, I will be picking one up in Buffalo soon enough. The only thing that is really stopping me at this point is that we're probably only 6 mos. away from an iPhone update (more memory) or a 3G version. I've waited this long. I suppose that I can wait ANOTHER 6 mos. In hindsight, I wish that I bought one back in July. How many iPhone users do you suppose are out there in Canada? I have one co-worker that uses one and I've seen another out and about.



    I personally know two people who own iPhones in Canada and I'm sure there are more than a few out there but the real issue isn't availability, it's cost and effort. Owning an iPhone in Canada currently means first purchasing a jailbroken device, which makes getting updates a real pain, then either using it only where you can get wifi (and losing out on the pure mobility of the product) or paying Rogers' outrageous data charges for it. An official release of the iPhone in Canada would mean so much to the country as it would significantly lower the cost of data plans. The game would literally change in Canada based on the introduction of this one phone. Crazy eh? On a more general note however, it's really sad that Canadians are being denied access to this revolutionary product simply because it's not cost effective to release here.
Sign In or Register to comment.