Apple updates MacBook with faster chips, more memory

Comments

• Reply 61 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willrob View Post

Does the base 1G come as 2 x 512MB, filling both slots? Or as one 1G chip? I know that 2G is offered as a BTO, but Apple's RAM is the most expensive. If there are 2 512s then upgrading later to a full 2G becomes even more costly.

It's 2x512.
  • Reply 62 of 164
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Apple going back to Old days???

or

gonna say, because our enigeers are working very hard on iPhone, does not have time/energy/resoruces to upgrade motherboard for MacBook

disappointing after looking at the apple site for few hours, if the next upgrade takes until oct, it is gonna be huge disappointment

$200 for 40GB and black color????, they shd given either 2.33Ghz or 2GB for MacBook Black as well.
  • Reply 63 of 164
    guinessguiness Posts: 31member
    It's kind of weak that the entry level Macbook doesn't sport a SuperDrive DVD burner. I mean, obviously Apple wants consumers to fork out more money for the next model up, but seriously, what other laptop on the market doesn't come with a DVD burner (including cheaper ones)??
  • Reply 64 of 164
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by petermac View Post

Why, wherelse do you go, you want a Mac, you get it from Apple. Me, I would wait then order. Patience.

Most businesses have accounts at a couple of suppliers so the purchasing clerk will just pick a site that's working. They don't really care where they get it if they've been told to process a purchase order.

Apart from that, they sell more than just Macs. I'd guess Amazon got quite a few more iPod orders whilst the Apple site was refusing to sell anything for most of the day.
  • Reply 65 of 164
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doemel View Post

I know and I see your point. My point might have been not very clear. Therefore I will state it more precisely here: If you want decent graphics get a MacBook Pro.

that's true, I definitely hope that Apple starts to give more powerful gpu's on the MBP, or at least have the option.
  • Reply 66 of 164
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Boo hoo. Wow... all these crybabies flooding the forum with their wretched tales. Save us, Jeebus... er, I mean 'Jobs'.
  • Reply 67 of 164
    umijinumijin Posts: 133member
    Speed bumps and memory bumps - good.

FIVE POUND anchor status BAD.

1-inch thin is NOT a feature. It's a joke.

Get with the program, Apple. Every Windoze laptop maker and their mothers are releasing LIGHT (4 pounds or less), THIN, and FAST laptops at competitive prices.

If ASUS can do it, Apple can do.

There's no need to wait for NAND hard drives and all that other crap. The technology is already there.

What's that sound? It's the Japan sales falling through the basement because Apple can't make a competitive laptop for their market.
  • Reply 68 of 164
    idleidle Posts: 49member
    I'm very pleased about the entry level bump...1.83 GHz with 2MB L2 cache was not good, not to mention the 512mb of RAM and 60gb hard drive. The big kicker in my eyes is the new education price for the $1099 MacBook: $999. It used to be $1049, but now that crucial sub-$1000 price point is there for the college kids. If I'd be willing to be without a Superdrive, I'd jump on that in a minute.

I'm not too psyched about the price difference in the black model now, though. Before, if you upgraded the hard drive in the $1299 model, you'd be $50 less than the comparable black. Now there's a $125 discrepancy with identical specs. Not cool.
  • Reply 69 of 164
    doemeldoemel Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

gonna say, because our enigeers are working very hard on iPhone, does not have time/energy/resoruces to upgrade motherboard for MacBook

Hell yeah, the MB's just another iPhone victim! Who'd have thunk that?
  • Reply 70 of 164
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umijin View Post

Speed bumps and memory bumps - good.

FIVE POUND anchor status BAD.

1-inch thin is NOT a feature. It's a joke.

Get with the program, Apple. Every Windoze laptop maker and their mothers are releasing LIGHT (4 pounds or less), THIN, and FAST laptops at competitive prices.

If ASUS can do it, Apple can do.

There's no need to wait for NAND hard drives and all that other crap. The technology is already there.

What's that sound? It's the Japan sales falling through the basement because Apple can't make a competitive laptop for their market.

I agree with all of these points. I've actually eyeballed a Sony Vaio (just for a second, I swear) because it is so sleek looking. Apple needs to seriously get their collective butts off the couch and not rely on iPhone to make the Festivus bonuses.

"George is getting upset!" -George Costanza
  • Reply 71 of 164
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Mac mini=Apple's bastard child

Mac mini = G4 Cube
  • Reply 72 of 164
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Or get a HP laptop for $999 which contains the X3100 graphics. Apologize all you want but the current Macbook "update" is selling obsolete hardware. I feel for the people that held out for a new Macbook only to get a slight refresh.

Absolutely. There's no excuse for selling yesterday's technology at those prices. The MacBooks should have all the features of Santa Rosa and start at $999. Apple has fallen far behind the competition. There are way too many fanboys who think Apple can do no wrong and as long as that's the attitude Apple will continue to dole out meager updates like this rather than truly innovate.
  • Reply 73 of 164
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

:::yawn:::

Treble yawn.
  • Reply 74 of 164
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

There are way too many fanboys who think Apple can do no wrong and as long as that's the attitude Apple will continue to dole out meager updates like this rather than truly innovate.

Releasing a santa rosa laptop like HP is "innovative"? I guess the iPhone and aTV isn't.

Its fanboyish to think that maybe Apple can't get the volume of santa rosa chips to meet demand in May where they might in June?

HP and Dell DO sell more laptops than Apple. Maybe they are at the head of the line this go around?

Vinea
  • Reply 75 of 164
    idleidle Posts: 49member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Mac mini=Apple's bastard child

Mac mini = G4 Cube

Mac mini = AppleTV Pro
  • Reply 76 of 164
    Apple is totally awesome!

And anyone who disagrees with me is either a whiner or a troll!
  • Reply 77 of 164
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamsSandwich View Post

Apple is totally awesome!

And anyone who disagrees with me is either a whiner or a troll!

Woh, there's a familiar looking username. Truly insightful comment indeed...
  • Reply 78 of 164
    I am mixed about the latest release of the Apple, inc. macbook line. it seems to be solid on many fronts, but as a consumer, is it time to buy a new macbook, or... wait.

Wait for Leopard, new chips, and verified 3G connectivity. That is probably the smartest thing to do. Regarding the release, it had to be done, Apple needed to refresh, it was just.taking. too. long. I expect more out in August before the universities start. Otherwise October is a good bet, a certain cat is said to start purring around then.

http://ThunkDifferent.com

Speedy enough for consumers to catch them at the current 10% laptop market rate? Find out.
  • Reply 79 of 164
    coreywebcoreyweb Posts: 10member
    Thats pretty sweet! Thats exactly what I wanted. A nice little speed bump. Of course there are some other things I want too. For instance, it'd be sweet to have a 160 hard drive with the 7200 rpms in there, and it would be sweet to have LED backlight, and it would be sweet to have Santa Rosa in there (especially the new graphics part)......but its a nice little update.

And who knows....maybe these things will come in three weeks at the conference. I can see them saying "santa rosa across the whole line." That would indeed be pleasant.

In terms of LED stuff....I guess everyone thinks that that won't hit the macbook just yet?? (bummer)

And the 7200rpm 160 hard drives? Do you think those could be dropped in or a BTO option at WWDC? That'd be freakin' sweet!!

I assume though, if the macbooks don't get anything else at the conference....then they most likely won't see anything till leopard .

So I will wait 3 weeks until WWDC, if nothing, then oh well and I will buy.....if there are some sweet new updates, then SWEET!!

(I wonder if there will be anything with the imac an the coming weeks.)
  • Reply 80 of 164
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Absolutely. There's no excuse for selling yesterday's technology at those prices. The MacBooks should have all the features of Santa Rosa and start at $999. Apple has fallen far behind the competition. There are way too many fanboys who think Apple can do no wrong and as long as that's the attitude Apple will continue to dole out meager updates like this rather than truly innovate.

In other words, Apple needs to get off their collective lazy ass and restart making products that Matter: Competitive Laptop and Desktop computers that you want to buy. Santa Rosa isn't anything but a Speed Bump+Robson itself though, although I must admit, I didn't know about the H.264 Decoding in the X3100 until I read this thread.

Sebastian