Apple updates MacBook with faster chips, more memory

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 164
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tonezorz View Post

I suppose I should clarify, I have a desktop that is my own and in great working condition, which will be coming with me also. This is why I really wanted to focus on finding a laptop that was highly portable and small. If a mac mini were to to be actually coming out, it would most likely be out of my price range. Yes?

You mean an ultra-thin MBP that folks are hoping for? Yes, most likely.

If you have a windows box then a MacBook is a nice laptop to get even with a GMA950. Being able to do Keynote vs Powerpoint will make you look different from the rest of the crowd and the iLife stuff makes some things a little easier.

A Dell or HP would give you more bang for the buck hardware wise. OSX can give you a bit of an edge since most other folks will run windows (or parity if they aren't). Of course that means you have to spring for iWork.

But in the end it doesn't matter THAT much. What's your major?

Vinea
  • Reply 162 of 164
    Major? heh. Most likely computer science / something of the sort, and a Minor in french.

I'm not perfectly sure yet however.

My desktop is a windows machine. I've built it, and many others my self. I'm very knowledgable software/hardware wise with PC's, figure at least some software background (now that the hardware is the same) in macs would be to my benefit.
  • Reply 163 of 164
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tonezorz View Post

Major? heh. Most likely computer science / something of the sort, and a Minor in french.

I'm not perfectly sure yet however.

My desktop is a windows machine. I've built it, and many others my self. I'm very knowledgable software/hardware wise with PC's, figure at least some software background (now that the hardware is the same) in macs would be to my benefit.

The only thing you can't do with a MB is play with hardware T&L and pixelshader 3.0. You do get a unix desktop that doesn't suck. It should handle 90% of your unix needs.

I'd wait though if you want OSX to get a X3000 based GPU though...especially if you have a desktop already. The 950 isn't horrid but it's a serious limitation. Some things just work funny on it. Transparent winforms are one example (they flicker above a DirectX drawpane). Hmmm...that might be with a GMA900 but the 950 isn't that different.

Vinea