MacBook gets better screen; Final Cut 2 delay; Mac speaker fix

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    cliffvkcliffvk Posts: 7member
    FCP 2 shipping delay? Really? Because I received a shipping notification from Apple today (5/15) saying my copy shipped out and will arrive by Saturday.

Shipment Information

Shipment Date:

MAY 15, 2007

Delivers by:

MAY 22, 2007

FINAL CUT STUDIO 2 RETAIL-INT MA886Z/A
  • Reply 22 of 45
    kumakuma Posts: 1member
    With this small discount (€70 to €145) Europeans are still paying €200 to €325 more for MacBooks. The price of a cheap US flight. Are Apple using 747s to fly these babies in on separate seats - Buckle up!
  • Reply 23 of 45
    But this one goes to 11...
  • Reply 24 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kuma View Post

With this small discount (€70 to €145) Europeans are still paying €200 to €325 more for MacBooks. The price of a cheap US flight. Are Apple using 747s to fly these babies in on separate seats - Buckle up!

We, europeans, are definitely still being ripped off, but the values you present cannot be globally imposed to the whole of Europe. Let's consider the middle white MacBook. Its US price is currently US$1299 with no taxes included (which is roughly €959). In my country, this MacBook costs €1324 with 21% VAT included. By removing the tax fee, its initial price comes down to €1094, approximately. So the premium we pay here is around €135. Since these new models aren't yet available here, I won't speculate on the discount value which we'll see on the final prices. But, regardless of this value, it will close the gap on the current US prices.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AkamaiGuy View Post

But this one goes to 11...

Nice.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    w00t brings back memories

• Reply 27 of 45
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pinky_Brain View Post

We, europeans, are definitely still being ripped off, but the values you present cannot be globally imposed to the whole of Europe.

You bet. We don't all use Euros.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pinky_Brain View Post

Let's consider the middle white MacBook. Its US price is currently US$1299 with no taxes included (which is roughly ?959). In my country, this MacBook costs ?1324 with 21% VAT included. By removing the tax fee, its initial price comes down to ?1094, approximately. So the premium we pay here is around ?135.

You could come to the UK to buy it. Here, the middle MacBook is ?1030 before tax. Our tax is 17.5% so it's ?1210 so you'll save ?114 by buying it in the UK. The price drop in the UK this time round was £50 or ?73 but the prices were already lower than the rest of Europe it appears.

We're still about $100 more than the USA though.

The cheapest MacBook dipping below £700 for the first time is quite a good change though for that psychological barrier that some people won't step over.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    wingrovewingrove Posts: 5member
    i think its a beat up. my order too still says it will ship by end of may (deliver by june 6 yes, but ship by end of may)
  • Reply 29 of 45
    Ha ha ha since i live in the UK i should go to the US and buy a Mac because I can effectly get it for half price since we have a great exchange rate!! :P:P
  • Reply 30 of 45
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan View Post

Ha ha ha since i live in the UK i should go to the US and buy a Mac because I can effectly get it for half price since we have a great exchange rate!! :P:P

It'd be good if you could but you're sadly wrong. The cheapest MacBook is £594+VAT. In the USA it's $1099+Tax. £594 = $1179. Then you've got to buy a new power adaptor plug and we're glossing over getting it past customs, airfares and somewhere to stay in the US.

It makes more sense with the MacPros but they're not exactly carry on luggage.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I liked the increased volume on the C2D iMac. Most of the time I use headphones anyway, but if I want to watch if a movie on it with others then it's much better now.

What I really want, if a checkbox in the control panel to turn off the *BONG* when the Mac reboots. Sometimes muting the computer before rebooting works, but not always, and I just want it gone once and for all.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

What I really want, if a checkbox in the control panel to turn off the *BONG* when the Mac reboots. Sometimes muting the computer before rebooting works, but not always, and I just want it gone once and for all.

There are third party solutions.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23141

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21378

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/25458

StartupSound is a freeware prefpane, giving you a slider control, but it instals a kernel extension which some people do not like;

Startup Chime Stopper doesn't seem like a good idea, firstly it's shareware and secondly it just mutes the chime - the bong is not just decorative, it tells you your Mac is healthy. If you hear the sound of breaking glass on start up you know you've got a problem! I've never experienced that personally (it's a Mac for God's sake!), but it is a built-in doomsday diagnostic tool.

Psst! Freeware, people seem to like this, free standing background app.

I installed StartupSound a couple of years ago and haven't looked at it since - the chime is set to minimum volume independent of master volume and it works every time.

It should be part of the OS though.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    Apple DON'T YOU DARE CHANGE THE VOLUME on the MacBook Core Duos, don't know about the MacBook Core 2 Duos or any other systems. Until the change the volume was way too low but it was much better after the change. Before the change you could not listen to a DVD or CD after the change is was much better.

If the volume goes down with the next patch Apple is going to get a really ticked off customer calling. Maybe even a small claims court case for defective design which they fixed then broke again.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    maccentricmaccentric Posts: 263member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevdo View Post

Oh, my God I never thought of that!

The lowest settings on my Core Duo iMac make any app with full-volume (e.g. max setting within iTunes) really too loud for many situations. And NO I do not like having to adjust each and every app I own to get a volume that isn't blaring even at the lowest setting.

What Apple should have done was make the loudest setting louder but kept the low settings as is...

Let's hope with the delay of Leopard that we DO we 10.4.10 as opposed to waiting until October to have this problem fixed.

You must be the laziest person that I have ever heard of. How many programs could you possibly have? Maybe 50? Of those, how many do you use on a regular basis. Less than 15 I bet. How many produce sound, probably no more than 10 and I am being generous. Now how long would it take you to adjust the volumes on 10 programs. Probably less than 5 minutes or less time than you spent reading this thread and posting your reply.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Startup Chime Stopper doesn't seem like a good idea, firstly it's shareware and secondly it just mutes the chime - the bong is not just decorative, it tells you your Mac is healthy. If you hear the sound of breaking glass on start up you know you've got a problem! I've never experienced that personally (it's a Mac for God's sake!), but it is a built-in doomsday diagnostic tool.

I don't really understand why muting the startup sound is bad. If you get an alternate sound because the computer is borked, the computer is not going to run anyway. A sound to tell you that is redundant, it doesn't really give much information to the user. A Mac tech can use certain diagnostic commands, which would be more informative.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    traixtraix Posts: 4member
    I just received mine about an hour ago.

Mmmmmmmmmm. It is tasty!
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Final Cut Studio 2 shipping delayed

Apple has given signs that its Final Cut Studio 2 video editing tools will slip past their intended May release window.

Visitors to Apple's online Apple Store who place new orders are told that both the full version and its two upgrades will ship within 2-3 weeks, putting deliveries into early June. And despite showing an intended release date of May 15th, Amazon as of this writing is currently listing a 1-3 week shipping timeframe for new buyers.

No explanation has been given by Apple for the delay.

My Final Cut Studio2 shipped yesterday and is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. This is the full version, I also ordered the upgrade version and it is listed to ship on May 31st still.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho View Post

Why is everyone ignoring the education discount increase for MacBooks? Now the laptop is sub-$1000 with the discount!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The new edu discounts offer $100 off as opposed to the previous $50.

We in Finland still get a flat 6% discount, which comes down to about 60EUR on the cheapest MB. We have no refurbs, no special offers on any Apple hardware at any time, no Mac-iPod deals. Resellers don't have real deals either so Apple Store is always cheaper by a thin margin. I have never in my life seen an Apple ad in print media, radio, TV or outside. The resellers have had some billboards out, but obviously they just advertise what they're selling at what price. That doesn't do anything towards building image for Apple or their products in general.

Not that ads would do anything for me, but discount-type promotions definitely would. I gotta wonder why it's profitable for them to promote and advertise their product elsewhere, but they don't even try here.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    zingboyzingboy Posts: 5member
    I just got my copy of Final Cut Studio 2 via Fedex/Apple store. I ordered the day it was released.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zingboy View Post

I just got my copy of Final Cut Studio 2 via Fedex/Apple store. I ordered the day it was released.

Upgrades are 2 to 3 weeks. New product is 3 to 5 days:

http://store.apple.com/AppleStore/We...nMore=MA886Z/A

Final Cut Studio 2

Select your product:

\tBuy New

Ships: 3-5 business days \t$1,299.00

Free Shipping

\tUpgrade from Final Cut Studio*

Ships: 2-3 weeks \t$499.00

Free Shipping

\tUpgrade from Final Cut Pro or Production Suite*

Ships: 2-3 weeks \t$699.00