Apple seen unloading new MacBook Pros and (possibly) iMacs at WWDC

Comments

• Reply 41 of 106
    kd86kd86 Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tchwojko View Post

No, if it didn't split, it would have gone up $2/share. Let's say a stock is at $100 today. The next day it goes up 1%. If it split, it would go up $1. If it doesn't split, it would go up $0.50. Either way, your portfolio would increase by 1%.

It can help liquidity of both the stock and options, though AAPL is fairly liquid already.

Ok well I get it now. I guess this is why I'm not an investor . That's just how it's always been explained to me.
  • Reply 42 of 106
    kd86kd86 Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Um, nice jump there. Assuming that the stock's going up a $1, so let's split the stock, so then that'll be like $2! Woohoo! Certainly it wouldn't just go up .50 after the split. That just wouldn't happen.

And if we're going to take it like this, then let's do a 100-1 stock split. That way, when the price goes up a $1 tomorrow, we'd make $50,000!!!!!!!!!

See my post above. I hope it makes you feel good to be so sarcastic and rude when someone makes an innocent mistake.. jeez!
  • Reply 43 of 106
    blingemblingem Posts: 94member
    OMG, I want the updates NOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW!

WAAAAAH WAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111
  • Reply 44 of 106
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KD86 View Post

It's partially like a gift to the shareholders. Ok, let's say I own 500 shares of AAPL and there is a 2 for 1 stock split. That means I now have 1000 shares. And let's say AAPL goes up $1/share tomorrow. Well that means by the end of the day tomorrow, I'm up $1000 in my position in AAPL when I would've only been up $500 with half the number of shares. Each share may be worth less initially after the split, but if it keeps doing as well as it has been, there would be a lot of happy investors, because each day they'd be making twice as much as they would have before the split. Do you see why shareholders of any stock that is doing really well might want this to happen? On the other hand, your reverse split scenario would have the opposite effect so I HIGHLY doubt any investor would be too happy about this. They'd probably sue Apple

Maybe, except that the stock would have gone up by $2 instead of one, before the split, so you have gained nothing.

Oops! Just read the posts after yours.
  • Reply 45 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Ah go on then.

As long as he's paying and planting some trees to offset.

Actually, after changing your clothes from the pee, you would run to the airport, tree or no tree.
  • Reply 46 of 106
    You can have any color you want...

No, they don't do it right, and they don't send any money to Bono. It's not the same thing. We are talking about a collector's item here.
  • Reply 47 of 106
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Idle View Post

If they did that, hopefully it would be after buying Parallels, Inc. I'd hate to see them force the company out like that, especially since Parallels has been so integral in luring switchers over in the first place. But then, I really doubt Apple will ultimately integrate anything other than a bootcamp solution because that would (likely) be the only way to ensure full compatibility with all Windows applications.

Apple's "official" solution will be bootcamp done up nicely. The "Startup Disk" pane in System Preferences will be updated with:

1 - a vertical list of startup disks/partitions with a way to name and describe the disks in addition to the OS name/version and the volume that is used now.

2 - a way to set the default startup disk/partition and have it displayed prominently

3 - an option to either boot the default startup disk or display a startup disk screen, similar to the login screen, at boot time. If set to boot the default disk then a key combo (command-B) is used to bring up the list of available startup disks. You will also be able to start the disk in target mode (Mac) or safe mode (Windows).

4 - Maybe Linux and *BSDs will be able to join the party since Apple will get the same amount of money whether the buyer uses Mac OS X or not.

Apple's "unofficial" solution is not to have their own virtualization, but to work closely with Parallels and WMWare to make their solutions work as if they were "native" in Leopard.
  • Reply 48 of 106
    maccentricmaccentric Posts: 263member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

I still don't quite understand the infatuation behind stock splits other than companies that do them do so because their stock is doing well and have a (misguided?) mentality that if the price is 'too high' it could scare investors away. People would understand that the action of a split (by itself) doesn't really "DO" anything...

Heck, why not wish Apple would pull a reverse stock split? Say 1 for 4, then your Apple shares would be worth $450 bucks each!!!

I have the exact same feelings about stock splits. I always use the analogy of a a pizza. If you have a 16" pizza that is cut into 8 slices, but then you cut it again into 16 slices (a 2:1 split if you will) you have the exact same amount of pizza, just smaller pieces.

I think splits do have a place though especially in the case where a stock price gets so high per share that the investors lose flexibility in making transactions. Someone who owns a Class A share of Berkshire Hathaway might want to sell $10,000 worth of stock but can't because a single share is over $100,000. I personally would prefer that splits take place before a stock that I own goes over $1000 per share.
  • Reply 49 of 106
    And you've never met people who ask how big a pizza is by asking how many slices it has?

I have.

Splits are for them. They are also for the people who think $1.99 isn't two dollars. Psychology works.
  • Reply 50 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

And you've never met people who ask how big a pizza is by asking how many slices it has?

I have.

Splits are for them. They are also for the people who think $1.99 isn't two dollars. Psychology works.

You're right. It's all about psychology. It's intended for the small investor. It "seems" better to be buying 100 shares at $50 than 50 shares at $100.

But, it isn't.

And depending on the fee structure, it might be cheaper to buy, and sell, 50 shares at a higher price, than 100 shares at a lower one.
  • Reply 51 of 106
    i386i386 Posts: 91member
    Quote:

Ooh, pretty.

Probably not very practical in real life though. I'd be scared to get it scratched.

I'm looking forward to see if they change the Finder substantially - not just deleting metal and adding crap like a slideshow that doesn't show you all the files in the directory if you've more than a screens worth and bad spotlight integration. I dug out BeOS a few months back for old time's sake and it's just painful how crap the Finder is compared to BeOS's tracker from a decade previous.

And the other thing to fix is networking. OSX Networking is just terrible. If they want us backing up with Time Machine, then I hope they fix networking first. Waiting ten minutes for Finder to realise a share has gone away before you regain control again from the beachball is just stupid. Having to use Sharepoints to share folders like you could in MacOS v7 is stupid.

Actually, there's just one thing they need to fix - kill the beachball. I don't think BeOS even had an equivalent 'I'm busy' pointer. With all the ex-Be employees at Apple you'd think they'd get suitably annoyed with it by now and fix it.

Totally agree, the finder sucks along with the networking. I'm very interested to see how the next XCode IDE is going to be like, at the moment the only thing holding me to the M$ world is .NET

and by the way cars and especially SUV's are for chumps too!
  • Reply 52 of 106
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    I hope the next updates of the MBP's come with 8-bit LCD's.
  • Reply 53 of 106
    eagerdragoneagerdragon Posts: 318member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uconn1 View Post

You can have any color you want as long as your willing to pay for it...

http://www.colorwarepc.com/products/...x?configid=493

and get it under a different waranty, probably will void Apples
  • Reply 54 of 106
    eagerdragoneagerdragon Posts: 318member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

I still don't quite understand the infatuation behind stock splits other than companies that do them do so because their stock is doing well and have a (misguided?) mentality that if the price is 'too high' it could scare investors away. People would understand that the action of a split (by itself) doesn't really "DO" anything...

Heck, why not wish Apple would pull a reverse stock split? Say 1 for 4, then your Apple shares would be worth $450 bucks each!!!

Back on track... I for one am for the 1st time in a long time anxious to see a new Mac Book Pro... My trusty 1st gen 17" PowerBook G4 1.3GHz (I think) is on it's very last leg... The power cord is all but shot (hanging together by a wish and a prayer) and just two weeks ago I dropped (fell from the couch actually) it and the panel that rides over the LCD cracked and ... while it still works it's like looking a screen thru a cracked window.

Dave

I seen a lot of stocks split and then turn around in a month or two and gain 20 percent, in a year or two is back up to the price it was and split again. I am not sure what it is but people seem to think that if it is low (because of the split), they just think it is underpriced and buy more.
  • Reply 55 of 106
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    I'm in the market for a new MacBook Pro but I might also be drooling for a new 24" iMac, if the specs are right. I have no idea what Apple might introduce in June but if these new toys have some of these things, I may buy both.

I'd love to see new case designs for both the MBP and iMac. You know, something with a major lust-factor.

Santa Rosa in both but also an implementation of Robson, what Intel now calls Turbo Memory. It's just an extra GB of flash memory to help reduce the latency factor of HDDs so would just make things a bit more snappy.

I'm also drooling over ATI/AMD's new HD 2600 series graphics cards and GPUs. They're supposed to be ready to ship this month so I'm hoping to see them in the next MBP and iMac. It'd also be nice to have a 512MB GDDR3 SDRAM option.

We know about the possibility of LED backlighting for the 15.4" MBP but I sort of doubt we'll see that for this round of iMacs. We also know that Apple has been using 6-bit displays for its portables and I don't expect that to change. I hope that the iMacs will at least have 8-bit displays.

(The 6-bit displays are used in portables for faster performance. They show 262k colors but can show 16.2m with software dithering. An 8-bit display can show true 24-bit or 16.7m colors.)

Larger hard drives and faster CPUs are also a given. I'm hoping Apple has some 7200 rpm options for the MBP. Hitachi just shipped larger 7200 rpm 2.5" notebook drives. The largest, fastest HD for the 15" MBP is only 160GB at 5400 rpm. A 250GB 7200 rpm HD would be more like it.

I'm also hoping for a Blu-ray option for the MBP and iMac since they're available for PCs. The SuperDrive on the current 15" MBP is only a lame 6x so I'm hoping for 8x.

Hope it'll have more than a 60W-hr battery.
  • Reply 56 of 106
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"The iPhone launch is set to be one of the largest product launches in company history," wrote Munster. ....... both companies will sell iPhone on their websites."

That is GREAT to hear, and I hope it's true. I had always felt this would be the case, but some speculation in these forums to the contrary had made me wonder.
  • Reply 57 of 106
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Apple seen unloading new MacBook Pros and (possibly) iMacs at WWDC

I think it's true.. I see a truck;

In all honesty though, I (100%) expect to see new iMac's and (possibly) new MacBook Pro's at WWDC myself.. not the other way round.
  • Reply 58 of 106
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

It'd have to be a damn good reason to get me on a plane.

If I recall right, you live on the other side of the pond.....

So how's: "an iPhone in June (instead of next year)" for a reason?

(In fact, with the likely UK premium for the product, you could buy up a few to take back, and the trip will basically pay for itself!)

• Reply 59 of 106
    ~pesky title on front page..~ misleading.
  • Reply 60 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marshall View Post

I couldn't care less about black, but I would pay more for (RED).

Why not produce limited edition PROJECT(RED) MacBook and MacBook Pros like they did with the iPod Nano?