Apple seen unloading new MacBook Pros and (possibly) iMacs at WWDC

Comments

• Reply 61 of 106
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

So how's: "an iPhone in June (instead of next year)" for a reason?

Nope. The current iPhone design is a little low end by European standards and doesn't do it for me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

(In fact, with the likely UK premium for the product, you could buy up a few to take back, and the trip will basically pay for itself!)

I suppose I could sell them to the fanboys and idiots who have to have the latest gadget but it'll be more like the other way round eventually I hope. Nokia N95s would be more expensive than the iPhone if you could get them over there and here they're free on the plans I use here in the UK. So I'm expecting an iPhone will be free or at least cheap-ish here too. It does less than the N95 so the only justification Apple can make is the badge.

I'll wait anyway till there's been 6-9 months of American test patsies finding all the bugs and hopefully by then it'll have more of the features we expect in a high end phone here (like a 3-5mp auto focus main camera and 3G). In the meantime, I may pick up a W880i or something like that for a spare and then see how the iPhone does up against the SE P1i which is due just before the iPhone.
  • Reply 62 of 106
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Nope. The current iPhone design is a little low end by European standards and doesn't do it for me..... I could sell them to the fanboys and idiots who have to have the latest gadget .... 6-9 months of American test patsies finding all the bugs and hopefully by then ......

Gee. Sometimes you guys across the Atlantic sound so sophic and sagacious. Wow.

Sd/-

Fanboy/Idiot/Test Patsy Who Loves Low End (by European Standards)
  • Reply 63 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slughead View Post

The Mac Pros, especially, need more graphics cards and need the promise of a across-the-board octo core by July. Sales are WAY down for their computers because they're in dire need of updates and Leopard's delay.

Why has Apple not introduced a Mac SemiPro with a less expensive, single dual-core chip like the Core 2 Duo instead of Xeon and less expensive memory? I am sure there are a lot of people out there who would like a less expensive desktop which they can more easily customize with extra cards and drives than is possible (or not) with an iMac. Like businesses maybe???
  • Reply 64 of 106
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasondwelsh View Post

Why has Apple not introduced a Mac SemiPro with a less expensive, single dual-core chip like the Core 2 Duo instead of Xeon and less expensive memory? I am sure there are a lot of people out there who would like a less expensive desktop which they can more easily customize with extra cards and drives than is possible (or not) with an iMac. Like businesses maybe???

You're new here aren't you ?
  • Reply 65 of 106
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

I seen a lot of stocks split and then turn around in a month or two and gain 20 percent, in a year or two is back up to the price it was and split again. I am not sure what it is but people seem to think that if it is low (because of the split), they just think it is underpriced and buy more.

You've seen a LOT of stocks do this? You must be rich. Very rich.

I've almost never seen stocks do this. Usually, they move up on the notice of the split, move up just a bit more right after, and then move down a week or so later.

Any other performance gains (or losses) in the stock after that depends on how well the company has done after the split.
  • Reply 66 of 106
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

Nope. The current iPhone design is a little low end by European standards and doesn't do it for me.

I suppose I could sell them to the fanboys and idiots who have to have the latest gadget but it'll be more like the other way round eventually I hope. Nokia N95s would be more expensive than the iPhone if you could get them over there and here they're free on the plans I use here in the UK. So I'm expecting an iPhone will be free or at least cheap-ish here too. It does less than the N95 so the only justification Apple can make is the badge.

I'll wait anyway till there's been 6-9 months of American test patsies finding all the bugs and hopefully by then it'll have more of the features we expect in a high end phone here (like a 3-5mp auto focus main camera and 3G). In the meantime, I may pick up a W880i or something like that for a spare and then see how the iPhone does up against the SE P1i which is due just before the iPhone.

There will be several months of European patsies as well, as the phone will be in Europe this year.
  • Reply 67 of 106
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Just chiming in but I have serious doubts about an iMac at WWDC. It's the wrong venue for it. iMac will probably have it's own special event, but it's not a WWDC product.
  • Reply 68 of 106
    Quote:

You're new here aren't you ?

Yep. I am new to the Apple camp so I guess I've missed out on a lot of issues these past few years. Right now, I'm just trying to get by on my good looks and charm.

So, has a Mac SemiPro been discussed to death already, or is there a good reason (technical or cost-wise) that Apple does not produce one?
  • Reply 69 of 106
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Apple has already said that they wouldn't be doing that, so, we'll see.

They've said lots of things over time, and some of them turned out to not be true. AppleTV is on time, Leopard is on time, iPod won't have video. It seems as if they said they would never make a phone.

Quote:

As long as the inside is silver/grey it'd be quite nice I reckon. Red annodizing has a habit of turning pink eventually in sunlight though so you'd possibly end up with a pink top and a red base after a few years - not good.

Not good. Isn't there some form of UV protection available?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

As an investor, you should be worried. Notice the two times the stock dropped. It was WWDC!!!!!

And I think its still foolish for apple to treat WWDC, a special developer's event that costs bigtime $$$ to get in, as just another MacWorld keynote party or something. Its bad enough when they show off new features of an OS, and the developers there from whom they ripped off the features get to go "Oh, great, there's my business down the crapper!".

I don't think treating it like a press event does the conference any good.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

You can have any color you want...

No, they don't do it right, and they don't send any money to Bono. It's not the same thing. We are talking about a collector's item here.

What don't they do right?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

and get it under a different waranty, probably will void Apples

Only if during the process something is compromised such that would cause the device to fail.

Quote:

Aren't you mixing up design with features? It looks like it's the feature set that you are complaining about, not the design.
  • Reply 70 of 106
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Just chiming in but I have serious doubts about an iMac at WWDC. It's the wrong venue for it. iMac will probably have it's own special event, but it's not a WWDC product.

I agree. WW*DEVELOPER*C will give the developers a nice new MBP with all the trimmings that Apple is expected to adopt (flash boost, LED screen, more?).

The new iMac will be redesigned or not, but will be updated along with the iTunes Store to offer higher quality files. iMac=Consumer machine=greater interest in tunes/films=Consumer event.

But, when it all comes down to it. . . who really KNOWS?

P.S. - For the record, I feel that Apple could integrate Windows APPS without having to integrate windows. Imagine a Windows Apps preference pane that could be used to select/deselect which exact windows programs you want the computer to run (this would solve the virus issue as well as the reboot issue). The new finder UI would let you know somehow (dim the rest of the screen when using Windows Apps perhaps in expose-like fashion or something) so that Mac users desktops wouldn't be poisoned by having to see beautiful OSX apps (I am quite proud of our OSX developer pool) alongside crappy windows graphics without some sort of "visual apology" in the form of some UI trick. After all, people on the whole don't care if they can run windows or not, they just want to be able to run their windows apps.
  • Reply 71 of 106
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

So, has a Mac SemiPro been discussed to death already

here you go: The "infamous" "headless Mac"/"xMac" thread. Happy reading
  • Reply 72 of 106
    Sure, here is another one: Mac Midtower Desires
  • Reply 73 of 106
    musltngbluemusltngblue Posts: 303member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Not good. Isn't there some form of UV protection available?

As a matter of fact, I do believe there may be protectors out there that happen to have UV protection... could be wrong though <_<

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think treating it like a press event does the conference any good.

...and that's why they have a bunch of workshops and other such things beyond the Keynote.
  • Reply 74 of 106
    rich-mysterrich-myster Posts: 771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

As a matter of fact, I do believe there may be protectors out there that happen to have UV protection... could be wrong though <_<

...and that's why they have a bunch of workshops and other such things beyond the Keynote.

you guys think they'll have re-designed macbooks? i know that they just updated them, but mabye they're just leading up to their update or something and just want to get rid of the old models so they boosted up the processer?
  • Reply 75 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

you guys think they'll have re-designed macbooks? i know that they just updated them, but mabye they're just leading up to their update or something and just want to get rid of the old models so they boosted up the processer?

Very doubtful. Making all the promotional graphics, store changes, website writing, updates, and authoring, changing the actual production of the units, and shipping the actual units costs enough, they wouldn't do it all over again and make another in less than a month; they'd just say, 'hey, we can hold out for another 3 weeks.'
  • Reply 76 of 106
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

There are probably two groups of Apple investors. Some get into Apple for a short term after reading what a hot stock it is. They will sell on news, happy with their return, at least for a brief period - then they moan that they should have held longer. the other group is for people who, at some point, realized that Apple was doing a better job than anyone else in the tech industry and they are holding their stock for the long term - and are very pleased that they are!

Now if Apple would just give out a 3 for 1 stock split . . .

No one will ever get me to sell my share.
  • Reply 77 of 106
    rich-mysterrich-myster Posts: 771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

Very doubtful. Making all the promotional graphics, store changes, website writing, updates, and authoring, changing the actual production of the units, and shipping the actual units costs enough, they wouldn't do it all over again and make another in less than a month; they'd just say, 'hey, we can hold out for another 3 weeks.'

yeah but santa rosa just came out, hopefully they'll add santa rosa to it atleast. i don't really think they need to update the look, but santa rosa is like a must to keep it up to par with the other competition.
  • Reply 78 of 106
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

With the Mac Pro most likely going all 8-core late July/ early August and with quad core mobile chips still over a year a way, I think such a machine could show up.
  • Reply 79 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

yeah but santa rosa just came out, hopefully they'll add santa rosa to it atleast. i don't really think they need to update the look, but santa rosa is like a must to keep it up to par with the other competition.

I think that'll be another way to differentiate the Pro machine from the "consumer" machine... it just seems way, way, WAY too close together for it to happen. We'll see, though.
  • Reply 80 of 106
    logantlogant Posts: 60member
    Here's my opinion. I don't consider Pro hardware for developers. So I wouldn't count out an iMac. Besides, Apple has waited too long.