will iPhone have a SIM card?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have a RAZR I'm using on the Cingular network. Can I simply install the SIM card in an iPhone and magically it works? (Please say yes!!!) That's what I did when I upgraded to the RAZR from an LG.



If so, will Apple or AT&T sell me an iPhone without signing a new contract? My current contract is through my employer who pays the bill and will not buy me an iPhone (imagine that!!) My employer says no problem if I purchased my own iPhone and the contract is not altered. Someone please tell me this will work!!! I want that darn iPhone when it's shipped. Signing my own contract is out of the question because I am stuck with Sprint (personal phone) for another year.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 26
    nevenmrgannevenmrgan Posts: 240member
    We don't yet know, but the consensus is that either you can't do it, or if you can, it'll cost you quite a bit.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    So you think in this case the iPhone will cost more? You are probably right.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    nevenmrgannevenmrgan Posts: 240member
    If they offer this, they'll either want you to extend your contract for another two years (looks like you wouldn't be able to do that) or pay another $200-300. That's just my guess.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
  • Reply 5 of 26
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    What's that little dot next to the headphone jack?
  • Reply 6 of 26
    nevenmrgannevenmrgan Posts: 240member
    I think it's a status light of some sort.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -dF View Post


    What's that little dot next to the headphone jack?



    When you unplug the headphone jack on the shuffle for example, the little light flashes, indicating that your music is paused, I'd say this is the same thing.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    shady104shady104 Posts: 332member
    everysingle gsm phone in the world uses a SIM card. apple has no way around this. yes you can by an iphone and pop your sim car in. i cant wait for unlocked ones to start popping up online.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    Thanks guys. It's funny I never noticed that before.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    There is talk of Apple / AT&T offering a PAYG version of the phone. I have no idea if there will be a hardware price difference. Steve Jobs was adamant about there being no subsidy on the handset. To me this would indicate that, if you could get a handset without a new contract, that the price will be no different.



    In my opinion, we'll see the subsidy come through in the data packages.



    Regarding the SIM card, yes, as shady104 mentioned, every GSM needs a SIM card.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    faleaeefaleaee Posts: 3member
    iPhone support GSM Quad-band (MHz: 850, 900, 1800, 1900), I think it should need a Sim card.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shady104 View Post


    everysingle gsm phone in the world uses a SIM card. apple has no way around this. yes you can by an iphone and pop your sim car in. i cant wait for unlocked ones to start popping up online.



    Of course they have a way around this. They can 'solder' (i.e. make non-removable) the electronics of the SIM card. Not saying they will but there is no engineering requirement that the SIM card be removable only that the fundtions be there.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    squall58squall58 Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by faleaee View Post


    iPhone support GSM Quad-band (MHz: 850, 900, 1800, 1900), I think it should need a Sim card.



    total agree!!!!!
  • Reply 14 of 26
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post


    Of course they have a way around this. They can 'solder' (i.e. make non-removable) the electronics of the SIM card. Not saying they will but there is no engineering requirement that the SIM card be removable only that the fundtions be there.



    That would be silly though. A lot of network software is held on the SIM. If this was not upgradeable, then the phone would be rendered useless should new network features be released that require a SIM change.



    I have a PAYG SIM which I have in an old handset that I keep in my car for emergencies. The phone is actually quite new, however the old SIM card will not support photo messages, WAP or email.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -dF View Post


    What's that little dot next to the headphone jack?



    It's where you poke in the paper clip to pop out your CD.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Theres no way an iphone will sell for 600 coming without a contract. I have cingular right now and have a blackjack, and plan on buying an iphone the minute them come out. See, my contract doesn't renew until december though....so I dont know if its worth the wait to get a good price. Im guessing they'll sell w/o contract for 700 or 800.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iridedasupabus


    Im guessing they'll sell w/o contract for 700 or 800.



    Indeed you are.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    I now have renewed hope. Sounds like I will be able to buy the iPhone and replace the SIM card or use the Pay As You Go. Wonderful!!!!
  • Reply 19 of 26
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post


    I now have renewed hope. Sounds like I will be able to buy the iPhone and replace the SIM card or use the Pay As You Go. Wonderful!!!!



    Have some more hope!



    I'd vote yes.



    V/R,

    Aries 1B
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iridedasupabus View Post


    Theres no way an iphone will sell for 600 coming without a contract. I have cingular right now and have a blackjack, and plan on buying an iphone the minute them come out. See, my contract doesn't renew until december though....so I dont know if its worth the wait to get a good price. Im guessing they'll sell w/o contract for 700 or 800.





    You might be eligible for an upgrade. I know my contract expires in late October and I am already eligible for an Upgrade (which I believe means I get the same rebates as someone who is signing a 2 year contract)
Sign In or Register to comment.