Closing the book on Apple's Mac mini

Comments

• Reply 341 of 575
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,606member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

Rarely, especially in a large population.

Close enough for government work.
  • Reply 342 of 575
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Close enough for government work.

I'll buy that.

• Reply 343 of 575
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

Rarely, especially in a large population.

Are you sure? I've heard that most randomized human populations follow the Gaussian distribution pretty closely, which makes the two very close in actual practice.
  • Reply 344 of 575
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Are you sure?

I'm over 20, so I'm not sure of anything.

The largest number on this forum likely range from 18 to 30, my guess. Likely, few if any are under 15, but those over 33 may extend to eighty or ninety, with a handful over that. A distribution like that pulls the mean well above the median. For an average of 33 years, the median might be like 28.

You and Mel are correct for a large distribution of people in general. The mean and median are close enough for government work.

• Reply 345 of 575
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

For the oldies, we can still remember when using a computer involved programming. We can remember writing programs and were probably taught to do so at school.

I remember that. I took a programming class in high school... was doing BASIC on an Apple II. Was fun.

But... how many people took those programming classes? Not many. I agree that high schools, even junior highs, should still offer them, but at the same time, they didn't do much 'back in the day' to raise general computer knowledge. They just created a small elite of very tech-savvy folks, while the vast majority knew nothing about computers. Todays emphasis on 'usage', while not as deep, seems to appeal to a lot more kids.

There's probably room for both approaches to work in parallel.

• Reply 346 of 575
    Quote:

The fact that there a so many of us old farts around here does disprove the rule.

Not really, unless one can argue that hardcore, longtime AI visitors are very similar to the general population in terms of tech-knowledge. They aren't. \

• Reply 347 of 575
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Not really, unless one can argue that hardcore, longtime AI visitors are very similar to the general population in terms of tech-knowledge. They aren't. \

But, many of those longtime, hardcore visitors, or members are also from the younger set, and they don't represent the average person either.

The Gaussian curve does represent the population. But where is the peak of that curve?

It could be - pretty knowledgeable.

Somewhat knowledgeable.

Not very knowledgeable.

Or even- what the hell are you talking about, knowledgeable.

I think it's between somewhat, and not very.

Overall, that's far better than it was 40 years ago, where it would have been at the "what the hell" point.

But the kind of knowledge has changed, in that it now mostly consists of people who can sit down at the thing and use it for basic activities, but nothing else.

In the past, it consisted of people who programmed, or built their own machines almost exclusively, other than the trained operators in industry.
  • Reply 348 of 575
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Do some people really not know how to change a tire on a car?
  • Reply 349 of 575
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Do some people really not know how to change a tire on a car?

You betcha!
  • Reply 350 of 575
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parmenides View Post

If Apple is discontinuing the current Mac Mini desktop, a welcome replacement in the market would be a headless "Mac mini server" with the following features

1. Intel Santa Rosa chipset and faster, cooler, Core 2 Duo processors

santa rosa is a laptop chip set I do not want laptop parts in a sever desktop parts are ok.
  • Reply 351 of 575
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

santa rosa is a laptop chip set I do not want laptop parts in a sever desktop parts are ok.

That's silly. There are blade servers that use "laptop parts". Intel even made a special SKU for a low-power Xeon based on the original Core Duo chip.

If all you are doing with the server is home file storage, then even "laptop parts" are overkill.
  • Reply 352 of 575
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

They're NOT ok. They're too power hungry and have poor power management for a home / small office server.
  • Reply 353 of 575
    Quote:

But, many of those longtime, hardcore visitors, or members are also from the younger set, and they don't represent the average person either.

The Gaussian curve does represent the population. But where is the peak of that curve?

It could be - pretty knowledgeable.

Somewhat knowledgeable.

Not very knowledgeable.

Or even- what the hell are you talking about, knowledgeable.

I think it's between somewhat, and not very.

Overall, that's far better than it was 40 years ago, where it would have been at the "what the hell" point.

But the kind of knowledge has changed, in that it now mostly consists of people who can sit down at the thing and use it for basic activities, but nothing else.

In the past, it consisted of people who programmed, or built their own machines almost exclusively, other than the trained operators in industry.

I think you're overthinking it again, Mel.

I'll make this concession... younger people, on average, are more comfortable USING technology than older people. If you wish to argue that the playing field is much more level for things like programming or very hardcore hardware knowledge, I might agree with you.

Of course, installing RAM is hardly 'hardcore'. But I almost fear to state the obvious, for fear that this thread will go to 500 posts.

• Reply 354 of 575
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Like a broken record...
  • Reply 355 of 575
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I think you're overthinking it again, Mel.

I'm on overtime.

Quote:

I'll make this concession... younger people, on average, are more comfortable USING technology than older people. If you wish to argue that the playing field is much more level for things like programming or very hardcore hardware knowledge, I might agree with you.

That's what I'm saying.

Quote:

Of course, installing RAM is hardly 'hardcore'. But I almost fear to state the obvious, for fear that this thread will go to 500 posts.

That's true too. But how many people do that?
  • Reply 356 of 575
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pairof9s View Post

"Hell is God's way of ensuring his children aren't burdened with truly brilliant unknowns"

-God

Oh tsk tsk... This is an Apple rumours board, not the bible. I'm fine with God judging me, but not Joe Blow from Texas, thank you very much. To call yourself a christian is rediculous, because I don't see you demonstrating any christianity. God is supposed to be loving. Why someone loving would have us burning in hell is beyond me.
  • Reply 357 of 575
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pairof9s View Post

I think you have a gross misunderstanding of God. Always it seems your type take the figurative to be literal. If you believe, you receive; if you don't, you won't. It's as simple as it needs to be.

(FYI...I no longer see this as a needed thread on this excellent forum. Should not have started this, so I'll respond no more. God bless you.)

Well, you know what they say... Ignorance is Bliss, no? I'm sure you're well equainted with said attribute.
  • Reply 358 of 575
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwinnipeg View Post

Oh tsk tsk... This is an Apple rumours board, not the bible. I'm fine with God judging me, but not Joe Blow from Texas, thank you very much. To call yourself a christian is rediculous, because I don't see you demonstrating any christianity. God is supposed to be loving. Why someone loving would have us burning in hell is beyond me.

(This is from a week ago - is there a reason you need to pile on?)
  • Reply 359 of 575
    cwinnipegcwinnipeg Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwdawso View Post

(This is from a week ago - is there a reason you need to pile on?)

Well, I know it was from a week ago, but I didn't get any notification that someone "replied" untill today. I suppose I just made myself look like even more of an ass, but apparently people are still reading the thread.
  • Reply 360 of 575
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwinnipeg View Post

Well, you know what they say... Ignorance is Bliss, no? I'm sure you're well equainted with said attribute.

Ah, the irony. It's "acquainted".